Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Philosophy  (Read 2935 times)

dewboy

• Bay Watcher
  • I did it..... FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Dwarven Philosophy
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »

When you dorf yourself do you become a Philosopher?
Do you think about the Mysteries of the Dwarven world?
If so let us make a thread which we may ponder questions like: Where do things that were "atom smashed" go? Is insanity the natural state of dwarves? Why does Amrok destroy and rebuild his worlds?

So gather you dorf thinkers, you daydreamers, you brainiacs who drive the fortress destroying nobles insane and free us from them let us mourn them.

Post away!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »

I think Armok destroy's and Rebuild's worlds, for the sheer emptyness, because, he is alone. He watches his Dwarves build great, vast, fortresses, and send sieges, mighty creatures from the above world, and the darker ones below, he even sends god-like demons, and gives his dwarves the greatest gift of all, the metal of the gods. Even then, after he is bored, he sends a great wave of death, ending the world. He then forges a new world out of the death, the blood, and a world is born, forged apon violence, and hate, but yet, its much, much more. He does this to remind him that he is not alone, in this vast universe, how the small, insignificant dwarves, can accomplish so much, and grow smart, and eventually die.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:07 pm »

The name "atom smasher" would suggest to me that all objects become free atoms, absorbed into the ground or elsewhere.

Here's a question I've seen on the wiki: Since ultimately an anvil is required to make an anvil, where did the first anvil come from?
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »

It is well known that Armok bestows one of His great beard hairs to the greatest First Dwarf of each world in order to forge the first anvil and pick.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »

Here's a question I've seen on the wiki: Since ultimately an anvil is required to make an anvil, where did the first anvil come from?

The first anvil was orginally formed due to a dwarf going into a strange mood that required an anvil to forge upon.  Not letting the lack of an anvil deter the dwarf, that dwarf broke into a smelter and coating a large obsidian rock with metal in order to create an anvil.  This strange mood also led to the invention of the first dwarven weapon made of a material other than rock.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »

Quote from: Gavakis
I think Armok destroy ' s and Rebuild ' s worlds

ಠ_ಠ
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:54 pm »

I've always thought the first Anvil was made by strange moods out of bones - one of the few materials the early dwarves would have had a large number of.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:22:52 pm »

A question I myself have always wondered about...

"Why did Armok make dwarves to be physically dependant on alcohol?"  Surely this is a bane and not a boon, as the other races of His worlds survive on dirty well water with nary a complaint, and yet the dwarves will go mad without alcohol in their veins.

Can anyone enlighten me?
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »

"Why did Armok make dwarves to be physically dependant on alcohol?"  Surely this is a bane and not a boon, as the other races of His worlds survive on dirty well water with nary a complaint, and yet the dwarves will go mad without alcohol in their veins.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I think the alcohol dependence is something the dwarves have developed to cope with the hardships of dwarven life - what other peoples in the world must deal with the foul creatures of the depths, beasts long forgotten by the surface, strange moods, or possessions by spirits that demand a dwarf make a certain artifact or die trying. No other race has the capacity for perfect craftsmanship, or the fortitude to live amongst these beasts without succumbing to their evil influence, I think a bit of drink to dull the harsh realities of dwarven life is the least they could ask!

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:13 am »

Can anyone enlighten me?
Dwarves need to consume alcohol in order to maintain their chaotic and brilliant minds.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:45:11 am »

Can anyone enlighten me?

My viewpoint is that the dwarven digestive system is 100% efficient due to a number of enzymes that allow dwarves to digest all the organic materials they consume, however, the only thing these dwarven enzymes require to function is ethanol. My thought is that dwarven muscles are constructed out of proteins that denature in the presence of water, and require ethanol as a basic materials, in addition to amino acids and the like, which would explain the slowing down of dwarves in the extended absence of alcohol. Vampires, being cursed by their gods, have the need for alcohol replaced by the need for haemoglobin to rebuild their systems, therefore they require regular blood-sucks.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:44 am »

So its clearly decided that Armok creates all worlds, and all life within those worlds. Does he also create those "gods" that curse his subjects? Or is there a force other than Armok responsible for anything in the world?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 08:46:38 am »

Armok...
Armok is not merely a "one" god.

Armok is all of us.
Armok is an omnipresent God, creating the worlds, influencing the dwarves to construct improbable, yet real structures, forged from the very gifts of the earth itself.

There are Armok with bigger or lesser influences, ranging from Toady One, who affects all that lesser Armok can and can't do, to modder Armok, who bestow their worlds with something that could not have been seen in any of the past worlds to regular Armok, who can only take the gifts of the aforementioned two (although transformation from regular Armok to modder Armok is not uncommon), and yet can give them something truly unique to them, something that others may or may not accomplish.

We are the Armok.

Also, the anvil came from the anvil tree. Or it will come from such, at least.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 01:09:17 pm »

The simple curios like the atom-smashing bridge, or the accidental infinite stockpiles, proves that this is not real. This is all an image, a simulation. We are not real, even though we know of nothing but our own reality.

We are simply facets of the infinite mind of Armok. As Armok creates and destroys, there is an infinite and ever-lasting chaos where we exist. We may only be around for a minute or eons, but that's enough for our world to exist.

Many worlds like ours exist. Some are strange. In some, dwarves walk on four legs and look like horses. In others, humans and kobolds greedily dig for Adamantine. They are dwarves, in another form.

But all of us, the infinite infinities of dwarfdom, are striving for perfection. Once one such fractal reaches perfection, time will end and all motion will stop. The world will be infinite, and will be the next thing that Armok actually destroys. And so the process will start again, the glorious pursuit of perfection as Armok lives in our minds, without our knowledge, perhaps without even his. We are armok. Armok is us. And yet, we are not the same.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »

We know that love drives a dwarf to adopt certain pets of their preference, but how hast it come that cats adopt dwarves?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: [1] 2