Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

where would you like to see DF go in terms of complexity?

More Complex
- 41 (73.2%)
Less Complex
- 1 (1.8%)
same complexity
- 12 (21.4%)
Elf mode
- 2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: direction of Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1949 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: direction of Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 10:23:44 pm »

I would definately like to see DF more complex. I personally don't care about making the UI less complex. However, it would be nice for less micromanagement to have to happen and for things to be more streamlined.

I think complexity is best defined as the amount of elements the game has. More complexity is more options available to the player and more things in the game for them to interact with.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 10:24:09 pm »

More complexity is welcome, because it means more features, industries, and more things to manage.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:13 pm »

By the definition of complexity given in the OP, I think the game is right on the mark to keep any player regardless of experience on their toes without causing any of us to go melancholy (that we know of...) I'd be happy seeing the required mental input remain roughly the same, even as the underlying structure of the game becomes more complex and new features are added. Some of the micromanagement can be a pain in the ass and I'd like to see that and the UI handled, hopefully as an improvement, but some of the features planned will inevitably demand more and more work from the player even as operating the UI and managing the simpler tasks becomes less tedious. I think if Toady can find a healthy way to balance it from this point onward, the game will remain both enjoyable and challenging.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]