Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfalls are dangerous!  (Read 1535 times)

JonasIV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Waterfalls are dangerous!
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »

Recently, I embarked on a desert, which had a waterfall "Nice". Yet I underestimated that waterfall, it managed to make my dwarves suicide. How? Well the good old fashioned way, falling down the waterfall for no reason. First it was my cats, trying to pass the waterfall. Then it was the dwarves trying to get the cats back home, which again, was on the other side of the waterfall. Result? 2 brutally injured cats and 2 dead dwarves :'(. I got very very angry at the waterfall then >:(. I need solutions, whats the best way to destroy a waterfall and did any of you have this kind of situation?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfalls are dangerous!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 05:35:45 pm »

The best way is to order a bridge built right at the top of the waterfall that covers the last 3-5 tiles of river before the drop (or walls along the sides if you don't want people to be able to cross). The reason they die is because they notice that the water level is low along the edge of the waterfall, try to walk through it, and then get carried off the edge by the current.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »

Another possible fix is to make a close by passage over the water( it dosent need to be over the edge), and then set a high traffic restriction on the edge of the waterfall.

JonasIV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »

Ah, thank you, now I shall have my revenge on the waterfall by building bridges on it! HAHA!

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »

A traffic restriction of high would make the dwarves more likely to cross through the area, not less. Use 'restricted' for that. You probably want to jack up the traffic cost of restricted as well. And mark your intended path as high, just to be safe.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:07:52 pm »

A traffic restriction of high would make the dwarves more likely to cross through the area, not less. Use 'restricted' for that. You probably want to jack up the traffic cost of restricted as well. And mark your intended path as high, just to be safe.

The problem is that if it's the only route across the river and they want to go there they will go that way regardless of the traffic cost.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:18:03 pm »

Could you not simply floor over the ramps nearest the waterfall, so that the dwarves won't have access to the ramps with the low water that they keep getting pushed off of?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:57 pm »

Could you not simply floor over the ramps nearest the waterfall, so that the dwarves won't have access to the ramps with the low water that they keep getting pushed off of?
Yes, a bridge just tends to work out easier since it can be put up quicker and with less risk of dwarven lives (you could of course set up two individual bridges along the edges that didn't actually connect if you didn't want people crossing).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:03 am »

Sure, you can avoid the waterfall, but why not harness it and put it to work for you instead? I've used waterfalls as traps, doors, power sources, even a shower source. All needlessly complicated, of course. If you could route it over a volcano or open magma vent, I think a goblin sauna could be possible as well. Don't waste resources - weaponize them!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »

Ah, thank you, now I shall have my revenge on the waterfall by building bridges on it! HAHA!

You know, water, thats life of waterfall, no water, no waterfall, so kill it with taking water away from it, by channeling it to your fort, prefer noble quarters, nobles like water, trust urist mccunningplan  ;)