Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombies do not have souls!  (Read 3426 times)

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
  • 13 fortresses and 8 adventurers later...
    • View Profile
Zombies do not have souls!
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:51 am »

Semi related to Fresh fort besieged by the local necros. Ideas?.

So the undead scourge has passed, the few remaining undead got taken care of by the eagerly awaited caravans, so naturally I burried my dead and moved on. A few months later, one of the corpses rose up in his crypt! So I just lock the door, no biggie. Something to scare the children with. Fast forward two more years... A ghost of the same person is battering one of my masons! Uh-oh. So now I have two undead entities from the same dead dwarf! That is god damn efficient!

Will try dropping a ceiling on the crypt, as I (still) don't have a military capable dealing with undead.
EDIT: Crap. I cant. The level up above from the crypt is solid rock. If I mine out the exact crypt shape above, I'd have to channel the sides to detach the floor/roof. But channeling would make ramps for the zombie down below. God doughnut, why cant things be easy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:27:52 am by Em3rgency »
A Song of Glacier and Magma: Game of Socks.
Jaime Lannister cancels noble bsns: Needs a helping hand.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies do not have souls!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:13 am »

Looks like you have let a necromancer inside your fort. Having a military with just some basic armor and a weapon should be priority. One zombie isn't that bad.

In an area like that it also helps to bury your dead and build a floor over the coffin.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:02:13 am »

In an area like that it also helps to bury your dead and build a floor over the coffin.

I like this idea, it makes me want to make a dirt-level, above-ground graveyard for all my dwarves  (starting above ground, 1x2 channels down [1 coffin, 1 dirt ramp] then cover channels with a 1x2 clay floor, with a statue or slab on top!

Maybe fancy above-ground crypts for important folk

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:50:54 am »

Created a rag-tag 10 dwarf military from the gear dead caravan guards had left, unlocked the door and ordered the zombie killed. Found the culprit inside. There was a serpent man necromancer hiding there as well. Only one casualty, a dwarf suffocated from a collapsed lung. Locking up all the dead bodies from now on.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:26 am »

i believe the mechanism of necromancy in dwarf fortress is that when a necromancer revives an undead they bind the loose soul of whoever is nearby into that undead, which may or may not be the soul of the same body; but in most cases it isnt.

In evil regions, parting is weaker, and souls are lost and cannot guide themselves to the afterlife and thus will randomly be bounded to any corpses that are available from time to time.

so in your case, someone else's soul is in the zombies body, and the guy's original soul is running amok.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:39 am »

I don't think there's any such detailed soul mechanics yet. You had a dead body and a necromancer raised it. So now it's a zombie - no questions asked about what's making it move. Because the grave was desecrated, the soul of the dead dwarf is pissed off it doesn't have proper burial. So the dwarf came back as a ghost. Urist McGhost doesn't care that his body is going on a murderous rampage due to necromancy, he's just pissed he isn't being treated with respect. Slap down a memorial slab and the ghost will be satisfied (until that slab is toppled over).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:10 am »

I have all my coffins placed in 2x 1 nooks and made into tombs. When a dwarf dies, their tomb is sealed with a statue to block line of sight for necros and look cooler.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:33:49 am »

I have all my coffins placed in 2x 1 nooks and made into tombs. When a dwarf dies, their tomb is sealed with a statue to block line of sight for necros and look cooler.

I'd do that too if the statues were either generic, or if you could make them be a specific dwarf, like the memorial slabs. But now you get statues pretty much like engravings, so waiting for a statue of THAT dwarf to be made would be tedious, and I'd hate to have a random statue of just any other dwarf/event in front of a tomb :P

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:39:51 am »

But hey, Necros aren't trap-immune. Therefore, your crypt is the perfect spot for cage traps or *Steel Necromancer Grinder*
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

About the cave in remark: Assuming you have at least an extra z-level to work with, you can use the fact that floors don't stop cave ins:

Code: [Select]
(side view)

_       <- floor (or rock) that is only supported by the support S
  _S    <- floor above zombie and support
 #Z#    <- zombie in tomb

I'm not a cave in guru and I haven;t tested this, but I think the above setup should create a perfectly safe cave-in from the top floor which will fall through the bottom floor and land on the zombie.

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:00 am »

About the cave in remark: Assuming you have at least an extra z-level to work with, you can use the fact that floors don't stop cave ins:

Code: [Select]
(side view)

_       <- floor (or rock) that is only supported by the support S
  _S    <- floor above zombie and support
 #Z#    <- zombie in tomb

I'm not a cave in guru and I haven;t tested this, but I think the above setup should create a perfectly safe cave-in from the top floor which will fall through the bottom floor and land on the zombie.

If true, wouldn't that make it fall through the crypt to anything below I have too? That would not be good.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »

Don't make the cave in square immediately above the zombie: not only will this produce slopes, but even if it didn't, the miner will see it and panic.

Instead make the cave-in one floor up, with an empty room between the zombie chamber and the cave-in.  It will still blow right through the middle floor/bottom ceiling and do the job.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

And if the Z level immediately UNDER the Zombie contains the Grand Dining Hall,  FUN!!!!

Em3rgency

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »

And if the Z level immediately UNDER the Zombie contains the Grand Dining Hall,  FUN!!!!

Exactly what I meant! I have a dwarfs room right below that crypt, then below that there are the workshops... Anyway, as I said before, the zombie is dead, did it the old fashioned way with dwarfs and swords and whatnot.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:39 am »

This is funny. :D
I like this idea, it makes me want to make a dirt-level, above-ground graveyard for all my dwarves  (starting above ground, 1x2 channels down [1 coffin, 1 dirt ramp] then cover channels with a 1x2 clay floor, with a statue or slab on top!

Maybe fancy above-ground crypts for important folk

Me too. Beware with trolls (and other building destroyers), they will troll your headstones. A wall or moat is advised.
Pages: [1] 2