Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Crossbows in Mellee  (Read 599 times)

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Crossbows in Mellee
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

...What skill does this utilize (CC crossbows)? I've always assumed that it utilized either crossbow or wrestling skill, but I've notied that most of my crossbowdwarves who have seen combat are dabling hammerdwarves, which has led me to wonder if that skill is used instead.

Does anyone know the actual answer here?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Using Crossbows in Mellee
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

According to the wiki they sure do use the hammering skill.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Gavinfoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

yes they use hammering skill...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Yes, crossbows use hammer skill. You can confirm that if you look in the raw file for them. It's on the wiki too  :)

All my marksdwarves are also trained as hammerdwarves so that when they run out of bolts they can hammer away with the crossbows. It does significantly less damage (70 instead of 120 for a regular warhammer) but it can still be quite effective in a pinch.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

:( Sorry, I havn't checked the Wiki in ages; ops. Thanks for replying though. I'll start training up my champion marksdwarves as hammer users on the sly.  :D

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

To help beat a dead horse, it's hammer. When I play adventurer mode I make a crossbow-wrestler dwarf/human. And whenever I bash someone to death I notice it raises the hammer skill.
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:35:00 am »

I setup recruits to be unarmed (but with armor and buckler) to get the wrestling skill up (plus armor and shield user).

Once they are talented wrestlers, I take them out of the guard and give them hammers.  About a third get axes instead.

When they change into hammerdwarves, I switch them to crossbows.  The axedwarf (or rare sword if I feel like it) stays with his weapon.

This way I end up with about half of my force as elite marksdwarves who wont just get themselves killed when they run out of ammo and rush the enemy (which would happen a lot when they pickup 'stacks' of just one or two bolts).  The other half are Axe lords leading a bunch of hammers.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

Interestingly enough, my champion / legendary marksdwarf barely got any shots off with his cross bow because my munitions consisted almost entirely out of single bolt piles, and mainly got his training from bashing the skulls of ratmen in with his crossbow, melee style. By the end of his time, he was a legendary marksdwarf but only a "hammerer" hammerdwarf. I think dwarves gain atleast -some- marksdwarving skill from using their crossbow for melee attack.

[ March 13, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat