Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Bay12 FUMBBL League- Taupe is Champion! Season Four Signups Open!  (Read 53337 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 FUMBBL League- Taupe is Champion! Season Four Signups Open!
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:58 pm »

though considering just how many star players, bribes, and bombers I get to play if I do join, I just might.

Delicious, delicious bribes.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 21, 2015, 12:58:08 am »

When will you be starting this season? I *might* be able to join up for it, assuming I get my new laptop this week. Was thinking of a Lizardman, Goblin, Orc or High Elf team. I've got very little experience with the h.elves, and lizards tend to have a rough run in a short league season. Or an awesome one, it varies. Two gobbo teams might up the casualties a little too high, both for and against, but there's a chance of dueling chainsaws, ball & chain square dancing and bomb juggling displays.....

Depending on when you start, would you guys have room for an Orc team? Gobbos are my fave, Lizards my most played, but a normalish team might be good to get some experience on. Any of these three seem to be pretty good candidates.

I'm pretty hopeless at BB anyway, so it'll mostly be for laughs. I'm GMT +10, but I do plenty of night work, so scheduling games shouldn't be too hard no matter where the other players are. I'll blame the lack of sleep for any bad plays.
It's a game. Have fun.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »

When will you be starting this season? I *might* be able to join up for it, assuming I get my new laptop this week. Was thinking of a Lizardman, Goblin, Orc or High Elf team. I've got very little experience with the h.elves, and lizards tend to have a rough run in a short league season. Or an awesome one, it varies. Two gobbo teams might up the casualties a little too high, both for and against, but there's a chance of dueling chainsaws, ball & chain square dancing and bomb juggling displays.....

Depending on when you start, would you guys have room for an Orc team? Gobbos are my fave, Lizards my most played, but a normalish team might be good to get some experience on. Any of these three seem to be pretty good candidates.

I'm pretty hopeless at BB anyway, so it'll mostly be for laughs. I'm GMT +10, but I do plenty of night work, so scheduling games shouldn't be too hard no matter where the other players are. I'll blame the lack of sleep for any bad plays.

We aren't in imminent danger of the season starting (as we're currently sitting at 3/6 players) and in any event I'm fine leaving signups open for another week if I know you're going to be joining later on.

The teams we've got in the league right now are Slann, Chaos Pact and Human, so all of your options are free and unduplicated. Orcs have a very good starting roster and they scale well to high TVs if you play them long enough, so they're an excellent team all around, especially for beginners. Goblins are of course goofy and fun but probably won't win too many games, but hey, we play to laugh while pixels die, right? High Elves are probably the easiest Elf race to start with since they have decent armor and great catchers, though they'll be tricky to mange until you get some guys to level up and take Dodge. Lizards can also be a very good team but are rough to start out since they don't have core skills to complement their stats so they require careful play and they'll always be behind in the skill race.

Other teams I might suggest for an easier time of things would be Undead (Big and strong but still fielding some decent ballcarriers) or Chaos Dwarf (All the toughness and bash of Dwarves, but with big strong fast Centaurs to blitz with and Hobgoblins for ballhandling and fouling duties) if you favor the bashier side of things, and Skaven (AV7 makes them quite squishy, but they're all quite fast so you'll rarely be out of the match entirely) or Wood Elves (think High Elves but squishier with better blitzers) if you like dodging and throwing the ball around. Amazons and Norse are also pretty forgiving at low TV for new coaches, though they can teach bad habits as a result of their respective gimmicks.

So certainly, throw some dice with us and have some laughs- it's what we're all here for- but if you want to get some more experience and skill at the game the OP is full of helpful links (I personally would not start an unfamiliar team without seeing what bbtactics had to say about starting rosters) and I'm always down to talk teams, strategies, tactics, skill choices, whatever.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2015, 11:10:03 pm »

High Elves are probably the easiest Elf race to start with since they have decent armor and great catchers, though they'll be tricky to mange until you get some guys to level up and take Dodge. Lizards can also be a very good team but are rough to start out since they don't have core skills to complement their stats so they require careful play and they'll always be behind in the skill race.

High elves aren't bad, but they mostly are the hardest to get starting. that's mostly due to no starting skills. In comparison, wood elves have two allmighty wardancers, and dark elves have the same armor values, but can have 4 blitzers instead of 2. That's not to say High elves are inferior, but having a bunch of skills definitely help.

As for lizards, they start out really slow. The main issue is that nobody can push you around, but you don't have block, so your strong guys are not all that reliable. Because you have 6 of them to cover an army of frail skinks, any turnover can seriously compromise your game plan and free up a direct route to your ball, or through your defense. The best way to play Lizards is actually to remain rather passive and act as roadblocks. The drawback is that not throwing too many punches around means not getting casualties, which prevent your gameplay from ever evolving into something enticing. I see them in the same categories as Vampires, definitely not a bad team, but one that requires a lot of thinking and passivity.

Monk has the right of it with the easier rosters. I'd add the chaos and human teams, but that's not that relevant here if you want to avoid duplicates.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 22, 2015, 01:52:48 am »

Congrats Taupe!

Ordinarily, I would consider following Taupe's lead and play a new team.  But since my Fortress Friends needs tons of rebuilding in order to be what I consider viable, I'm going to continue with them.

So sign me up!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 22, 2015, 05:32:40 am »

Bugger it, I'm signing up too. My dwarves are already so battered as to count as a whole new team, so I'll be using them again.

Hopefully, I'll actually win a match this time.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 22, 2015, 08:54:46 am »

If you're unsure of your skill and you pick goblins, then you will probably lose every game you play. You could still lose every game with a good team however, and goblins are a more entertaining team in defeat than khemri.

If you want to maximize your chances, take a team with lots of starting skills. Amazon is probably the best choice, but norse, dwarf, chaos dwarf, and orc are all solid options as well. Elf teams are less forgiving in the sense that you're going to be outnumbered a lot, but also more forgiving in the sense that the few remaining players you do have are really good... until they die.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:37:33 am by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:53 am »

all elves are terrible :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 22, 2015, 07:57:23 pm »

Congrats Taupe!

Ordinarily, I would consider following Taupe's lead and play a new team.  But since my Fortress Friends needs tons of rebuilding in order to be what I consider viable, I'm going to continue with them.

So sign me up!
Bugger it, I'm signing up too. My dwarves are already so battered as to count as a whole new team, so I'll be using them again.

Hopefully, I'll actually win a match this time.

Welcome back!

That brings our current total to 5 players, with a sixth on the fence.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2015, 12:13:55 pm »

A quick bump to see how sambojin is doing.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2015, 11:25:08 pm »

If you find yourself short of a player, I made a spare team.

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=801010

I won't be the most free of men during April as I'm in the middle of moving, but I feel like an extension or two in the season are better than no season at all. So if you guys need a filler, I'll be around.

EDIT: You may look at this team and think ''Good grief this may be the single worst starting Norse roster!''. That's because it is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:27:52 pm by Taupe »

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2015, 10:40:26 pm »

So bumping this, anyone interested in reviving this?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »

I've been too busy lately to keep up with running a league, but I'd throw in a team if somebody else was willing to manage things, and I should have more free time to do it myself once we hit autumn.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:44 am »

ptw
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:41 pm »

Provided nobody is too strict on time limits (some weeks I'm swamped, but I usually have a lull a few times each month), my broken Chaos team is still interested.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26