Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC  (Read 61917 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: A New Age Begins - Sign-ups/OOC
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »

No thanks. Unless Xantalos is alright with it, but anyway, not interested in playing the dragon rulers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:45 pm »

However, there's no 1Hit KO scenario possible.
Challenge acc-aw crap, you're on my side aren't you?

I'm kinda sad that Xantalos's nation might be abandoned, but the bird might be interesting to play with. Where does Ziz live?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:41 pm »

I would take over Xantalos's character except for the fact that I'm already playing as sammy's character.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »

I would take over Xantalos's character except for the fact that I'm already playing as sammy's character.

You could take over Xantalo's character, and ElfCollaborator could take over for sammanyo.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2013, 07:51:01 pm »

It's still gonna show up on radar pretty significantly; the shape isn't radar stealthy, to say the least, and especially with a bloody artillery battery on board, you're gonna be obvious. While countermeasures can stop guided missiles, you are a gigantic target, plain and simple, and high altitude bombers(your height ceiling and flight speed is still a bit much, for an airship) are gonna love a 400 x 100 meter target to shoot at. I'm thinking bunker busters, frag-type, with razor tips similar to modern-day arrowheads, to cut open those balloons. Which will be effective, trust me. Internal armor or no, your envelope will be shredded, and if you have armor, your lift capacity is heavily reduced, especially internal which not only takes up weight but also precious volume. It may not leak fast(I know how slowly it leaks, I read those report/statements), but a 100 kg frag bomb will make a pretty big hole. On the other hand, you're probably right about no blind spots, though we can't assume everything is 2050 tech, like your airship seems to have (self guided bullets. Really big bullets, but still bullets). Just saying that there are weaknesses, and every armor plate you have, every strut or attachment to make it stronger, goes against your lift capacity, and adding artillery, a nuclear reactor, and aircraft to that? Not to mention the severe understaffedness of it, less than a skeleton crew I'd say? Well actually, how many people do you have with you?

Just remember. Your aircraft is larger than an aircraft carrier.(before I forget by the way, your balloons are weird. Why have them a tenth as big around as they are wide?) it's gonna need a lot of people. And maintenance.

On another note, you're right about scaling, but again, muscle fibers and machines(not sure what exactly would be used) are different, and I don't know if the strength to weight ratio would work the same. Wheels would be better for pure speed, and treads are good for off-road capability, but a walker can go over rough terrain very easily, and cheetahs accelerate faster than sports cars.

Finally, a request; can anyone find some good British, Scandinavian, French, and Irish last names, as well as good names of famous generals, and finally a dragon name generator of some sort? Or a way to draconify the last names.

And something else I thought of. I'll be having some high tech stuff too, hopefully. For example, my P-7 Centurion Heavy Close Quarters Combat Mechanized Walker has what amounts to a lightsaber. A sword shape, with magnetic conductors built in to create a double field, which holds in ionized, super-heated gases, also known as plasma. Combined with a durable and sharp ceramic edge behind it(the plasma mostly works to weaken and soften the material, or light it on fire) and I'm cutting a tank in half.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2013, 07:51:42 pm »

No thanks. Unless Xantalos is alright with it, but anyway, not interested in playing the dragon rulers.
It be fine.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »

You could take over Xantalo's character, and ElfCollaborator could take over for sammanyo.
Sure, if ElfCollaborator is alright with that.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2013, 01:06:42 am »

Eh, I want to play my own character. I'd rather not play someone else's. I wouldn't feel that I put any effort into making it anyway.

Also, wandering wyverns and alliterative appeal for the win.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:10:04 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:37 am »

Indeed, sir. Welcome aboard!
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2013, 10:23:09 am »

It's still gonna show up on radar pretty significantly; the shape isn't radar stealthy, to say the least, and especially with a bloody artillery battery on board, you're gonna be obvious. While countermeasures can stop guided missiles, you are a gigantic target, plain and simple, and high altitude bombers(your height ceiling and flight speed is still a bit much, for an airship) are gonna love a 400 x 100 meter target to shoot at. I'm thinking bunker busters, frag-type, with razor tips similar to modern-day arrowheads, to cut open those balloons. Which will be effective, trust me. Internal armor or no, your envelope will be shredded, and if you have armor, your lift capacity is heavily reduced, especially internal which not only takes up weight but also precious volume. It may not leak fast(I know how slowly it leaks, I read those report/statements), but a 100 kg frag bomb will make a pretty big hole. On the other hand, you're probably right about no blind spots, though we can't assume everything is 2050 tech, like your airship seems to have (self guided bullets. Really big bullets, but still bullets). Just saying that there are weaknesses, and every armor plate you have, every strut or attachment to make it stronger, goes against your lift capacity, and adding artillery, a nuclear reactor, and aircraft to that? Not to mention the severe understaffedness of it, less than a skeleton crew I'd say? Well actually, how many people do you have with you?
The artillery battery is on top, and given the ship's normal flight altitude, shouldn't be that visible. Besides, the artillery's caliber is quite low. 
Active camouflage and the whole thingy should limit it's visible size, making it quite a bit harder to hit.
Aerographite is a very nice material. Lighter than air, very strong. Just need to airproof it by adding a lick of paint. Though I suppose an anti airship missile would be effective for what it does. Luckily, there aren't much of them around just yet.
Actually, a significant part of the ship uses prototype/ already developped technologies.  It's high tech nature does mean that the ship is significantly harder to repair. Guided artillery shell. Even has the 60 km range. Mine is smaller, but still
You did note that this things lifting capacity was ridicously large.

500 people, divided over 3 ships. Enough to keep them from falling apart, but not for intensive field repairs. Luckily, automation is the future.

Just remember. Your aircraft is larger than an aircraft carrier.(before I forget by the way, your balloons are weird. Why have them a tenth as big around as they are wide?) it's gonna need a lot of people. And maintenance.
Most of the ship is empty space. Also, the zeppelin balloons are fine, I don't see the problem. They are fairly long to accomodate the runway. Taking off and landing at high altitude is harder then at sea after all.  Maintenance should fairly limited.

On another note, you're right about scaling, but again, muscle fibers and machines(not sure what exactly would be used) are different, and I don't know if the strength to weight ratio would work the same. Wheels would be better for pure speed, and treads are good for off-road capability, but a walker can go over rough terrain very easily, and cheetahs accelerate faster than sports cars.
I was think more about weight distribution and such. Make sure they don't get stuck in muddy ground, and the like.

Finally, a request; can anyone find some good British, Scandinavian, French, and Irish last names, as well as good names of famous generals, and finally a dragon name generator of some sort? Or a way to draconify the last names.
Maybe try to look for the international game database.

And something else I thought of. I'll be having some high tech stuff too, hopefully. For example, my P-7 Centurion Heavy Close Quarters Combat Mechanized Walker has what amounts to a lightsaber. A sword shape, with magnetic conductors built in to create a double field, which holds in ionized, super-heated gases, also known as plasma. Combined with a durable and sharp ceramic edge behind it(the plasma mostly works to weaken and soften the material, or light it on fire) and I'm cutting a tank in half.
I don't think you can create a double magnetic field from a single source. After all, magnets can only attract and repel, and a double field would require a magnetic field originating from outside the plasma field. (which is kinda unwieldy, since you want to be hitting something with a plasma sword, and not with a pocket superconducter). Hence I'd propose to use a single atraction field, and instead spin up the plasma to use the centrifugal force to keep it away from the inside containment systems. This'd create some interesting magnetic effects, I think, but would be much safer. After all, when containment fails the plasma flings away, dissipating rapidly in a fairly small firestorm, rather than destroying the probably expensive sword. Might be a bit powerhungry too I suppose, and friendly fire would be a risk. After all, temperature and normal air doesn't care about the field, and hence would rapidly ignite.

About bunkerbusters, would there be so much of them around? After all, with dragons bunkers would look significantly different. First of all, they need to be significantly bigger* to house dragons, and the existence of ground burrying dragons makes extensive complexes much cheaper.  So rather than concentrated; HE charges you might see Penetrating fuel bombs; which fill the entire bunker in flames, rather than blowing a hole in it.

*Which automatically weakens their structure, and makes it much more expensive to armor them intensively.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:56:39 pm by 10ebbor10 »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2013, 02:52:58 pm »

Altered my app to provide Ziz with some resources. Not enough to match an entire rebellion/nation state, but as appropriate for a wandering dragon researching humans and to make it more plausible for him to actually be able to live a life of 'fly-eat-sleep-fly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:55:35 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 02, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »

Altered my app to provide Ziz with some resources. Not enough to match an entire rebellion/nation state, but as appropriate for a wandering dragon researching humans and to make it more plausible for him to actually be able to live a life of 'fly-eat-sleep-fly.

You know, Ziz could be an unaffiliated character providing a unbiased chronology of the events as they occur.  What do you think?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »

While active camouflage might help...it's still fucking huge. It's larger than a football field. Longer than the stadium, for sure. I'd say, that if the Hindenburg disaster didn't happen, or if there were already fast maneuverable flying things(for example, dragons. And the fact that they breathe fire might make people think a bit sooner about "Hmmm. Maybe our flying ships shouldn't be explosively flammable, when there are flying things that breathe fire." thus meaning no disaster, or at least a much smaller one. So I'm thinking airships(not your size, but still) would be in use. Especially with dragons; unmanned surveillance balloon doesn't even have to come down for maintenance. Thus, anti-airship missiles might exist, if not widespread use and development.

Also, remember that when you're that big, and 'surprisingly light', wind and weather will affect you more. They did for airships in general, and when you get that high(apart from obvious pressurization and air issues, still don't really think you can get to 200,000 feet at all, considering 140,000 or so was the max for most airships' and bad for them, too. Speed is still a bit much, IMO), winds will be a factor. Far more so when landing, depending on region. 20000 to 60000 is where winds get really high.
Now I have to look up aero graphite...

When I was doing my research, I found that the pressure, complexity, vulnerability, and a slightly different pressure issue were the main issues with walkers. Which is why my only 'legged tank' is going to have ten legs. And another four that are also arms. Others are going to be relatively small. The centurion, for example, will only be about 4 and a half meters tall, and a mere 13 tons. It's going to link directly into the persons brain and motor cortex and the like so that they can control it by 'moving', and get tactile sense which corresponds to different conditions in it's status. As to the sword, I can see where you're going, but there are supposed to be two magnetic field generatorsin the center which create a venn diagram like shape where they overlap, and in the middle is where the plasma goes. Though your idea is good, and I like it for turning it off, I don't know how you could get the centrifugal force.

As for bunkers, nuclear bunkers would surely need to be big enough to house dragons, but artillery bunkers or normal ones? Not so much, when they can fly. Though, burrowing dragons present a risk, and that, to me, would just mean they'd be deeper, harder to make, as they might be made through stone or harsher/harder soil that dragons have an difficult or impossible task of getting through. Which means, to me, that bunker busters would be something like tandem charges; bomb is dropped, bomb fires a shaped charge into where it's going to land, which is also a bunker buster, blows a hole, big one goes into that hole, penetrates even deeper, and then blows up.

I'm going to present the specs n the Centurion in a little bit, once I do a bit more research and I cna make a post without it being a wall of text.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2013, 12:39:59 am »

You know, Ziz could be an unaffiliated character providing a unbiased chronology of the events as they occur.  What do you think?
Sounds...actually quite good.
Changed his app to reflect that, and to give him some areas around the world to stop over at and rest, before flying to the next cave.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:56:33 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2013, 11:00:29 am »

While active camouflage might help...it's still fucking huge. It's larger than a football field. Longer than the stadium, for sure. I'd say, that if the Hindenburg disaster didn't happen, or if there were already fast maneuverable flying things(for example, dragons. And the fact that they breathe fire might make people think a bit sooner about "Hmmm. Maybe our flying ships shouldn't be explosively flammable, when there are flying things that breathe fire." thus meaning no disaster, or at least a much smaller one. So I'm thinking airships(not your size, but still) would be in use. Especially with dragons; unmanned surveillance balloon doesn't even have to come down for maintenance. Thus, anti-airship missiles might exist, if not widespread use and development.
The Hinderburg was actually neither the worst, nor the most common kind of airship disaster. It's just the one that got recorded. Many more airships were destroyed by bad weather and structural failures. Then there's also the fact that helium was/is expensive which would have made early airships uncompetitive. Adding to that, early airships did not have the cargo capacity for cargoflights, didn't have the speed for passenger flights, and haven't got the structural integrity for military purposes(Dragon rips it apart). Besides, it's much more lucrative to shoot the airships air chambers and confiscate the thing when it crash lands then blow it to smithereens.

My ship(atleast the current iteration) is part of the second generation of airships. The ones that haven't been build yet, actually.

Also, remember that when you're that big, and 'surprisingly light', wind and weather will affect you more. They did for airships in general, and when you get that high(apart from obvious pressurization and air issues, still don't really think you can get to 200,000 feet at all, considering 140,000 or so was the max for most airships' and bad for them, too. Speed is still a bit much, IMO), winds will be a factor. Far more so when landing, depending on region. 20000 to 60000 is where winds get really high.
Now I have to look up aero graphite...
Suprisingly light can still be quite heavy, especially for an airship that size. 200,000 feet/ 60km is 2/3 the way to space, and I highly doubt the ship would get there. Unless I made a typo somewhere, I think I pointed the flight altitude at 15-16km with 20km(70.000 feet) the absolute max. Which is doable, and in fact, has been done before.
Gyros, ballast and multirotational turbines should allow the ship to stay stable. Landing in storms is not going to happen, but picking up jetstreams for rapid transportation is an option.
Aerographite. Though there are more of these interesting carbon thingies.

When I was doing my research, I found that the pressure, complexity, vulnerability, and a slightly different pressure issue were the main issues with walkers. Which is why my only 'legged tank' is going to have ten legs. And another four that are also arms. Others are going to be relatively small. The centurion, for example, will only be about 4 and a half meters tall, and a mere 13 tons. It's going to link directly into the persons brain and motor cortex and the like so that they can control it by 'moving', and get tactile sense which corresponds to different conditions in it's status. As to the sword, I can see where you're going, but there are supposed to be two magnetic field generatorsin the center which create a venn diagram like shape where they overlap, and in the middle is where the plasma goes. Though your idea is good, and I like it for turning it off, I don't know how you could get the centrifugal force.
Such a large amount of legs seems to be asking for programming problems, and the like.
As for linking into people, are you going to do a backlink too? Because that might cause problems, but lacking proprioception is also a problem when doing brain control. Especially when one of the pistons fails and the appendage is no longer where it's supposed to be.

I still don't think that would work. After all, magnets can only do 2 things. They can attract, or repel. They don't form an invisible shield barrier. If you put both in the same place, one would cancel the other out. After all, the dissipation of magnetical force is universally equal. I don't think you can make a magnet that's unusually strong at short range, and weak at long range, and one that's strong at long range, and weak at short. As for the rotation, simple. You got a magnetic field, just spin it around.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35