Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just got a artifact aluminum battle axe  (Read 1777 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
I just got a artifact aluminum battle axe
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

is the axe crap? Is aluminum a decent weapon grade metal? I honestly have never had an aluminum weapon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:24:01 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: I just got a artifact aluminum battle axe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

It's pretty terrible. The impact and shear values of aluminum are about 10 times lower than iron. Even a copper axe would be better.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »

so it's light and weak... not even good for a blunt weapon... well wonderful... at least it's got a few emeralds on it, so it's worth a lot.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:30 pm »

See if you can give it to your Hammerer. Barring that, the Captain of the Guard.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46:46 am »

If you place it within a weapontrap within your dininghall it counts as furnuture and will at least boost the value of said room quite very upwards.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:37:25 am »

See if you can give it to your Hammerer. Barring that, the Captain of the Guard.

Captain of the guard it'll have to be.  Hammerers won't use anything but a hammer.  Or, they may for combat duty, but not for hammerings.

If you place it within a weapontrap within your dininghall it counts as furnuture and will at least boost the value of said room quite very upwards.

An equally valid suggestion.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 10:50:43 am »

Apparently nowadays everything is made out of aluminium, but back in the day it was shit for everything.
Unless it's a (cross)bow, I guess.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »

Historicaly it has even been used to make breastplates... For real. It did not work well.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 04:09:18 am »

Historicaly it has even been used to make breastplates... For real. It did not work well.
Well up until the discovery of the Hall-Héroult process (which uses electricity) it was almost impossible to extract aluminum from it's ores, meaning it was more valuable then gold and many other precious metals (this is the same reason why the Washington Monument capstone is aluminum). So an aluminum breastplate probably has much more in common with one of those fancy ceremonial gilded ones then it does with anything that would actually be intended for combat.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:50 am »

It was meant for mounted warriors at the end of their era. They were called dragons iirc. The engineer thought aluminium would be light enough to allow them to move freely around but would still protect them.
cant stop playing DF?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:52:34 am »

Can I have some evidence of medieval aluminum?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:01 pm »

it was not medieval at all, I never said that or I cant find in what twisted way my rather simple one line post could be interpreted. Maybe there is another more fitting and less "medieval" term than breastplate. iirc it was tried under a napoleon.
cant stop playing DF?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:20:52 pm »

It was meant for mounted warriors at the end of their era. They were called dragons iirc. The engineer thought aluminium would be light enough to allow them to move freely around but would still protect them.
Do you mean dragoons? They would have dismounted before fighting. Their armour was certainly not so an issue in mobility that they would field expensive and ineffective armour over good iron, a decent jerkin or tunic or even no armour at all. Plate armour allows for excellent mobility, the idea that it was heavy and restrictive is a modern myth, plus engineers would have been more concerned with the big things that don't move than equipping infantry.
If there ever was aluminium armour, it would have been ceremonial or in a time where it was obsolete. Aluminium was bright, shiny and malleable. Good for show, bad for deflecting blows.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

They use aluminum for armor plating on tanks and for tools, but these are modern alloys. Cast and relatively pure aluminum shatters because it naturally forms a cystaline structure and it fractures along it's molecular alignment.

Aluminum was not really available up until 1886, when they figured out how to get it from bauxite ore, so there would be literally no examples of aluminum medieval armor. Before then 'native aluminum' was more rare then platinum, made into a few trinkets for nobility and that's about it.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:18:08 am »

Never said it was a good cuirass (found the right term). I know for sure that napoleon the third commandered at least one to be made for him. I'll have to do a bit of research to find where I read that it has been tried on dragoons.
The fact that this guy was a great fan of aluminium makes sense for the making of such ceremonial piece of armour but iirc some others were made for the experiment. It was just before the german found out how to make it en masse.
cant stop playing DF?
Pages: [1] 2