Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I just got a artifact aluminum battle axe  (Read 1775 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just got a artifact aluminum battle axe
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 05:05:46 am »

it was not medieval at all, I never said that or I cant find in what twisted way my rather simple one line post could be interpreted. Maybe there is another more fitting and less "medieval" term than breastplate. iirc it was tried under a napoleon.

I find it highly unlikely. As correctly mentioned, prior to perfecting the Hall-Heroult process in about 1880, aluminium was prohibitively expensive, there was a banquet hosted by Napoleon where only the most important guests were honored with aluminium utensils, and the rest "had to do with gold". Cheap mass production was necessary to equipping armies of that era (unlike knights), which rules out aluminium.

Armor was on decline during 18th centrury already, and while cavalry cuirass remained in use longer, it was all phased out by the end of 19th century. I certainly don't recall armor usage mentioned in the American Civil War.

It's possible, however, that there were experiments involving aluminium by military researchers of the time, because armies have to constantly look for gaining technological advantage, but I sincerely doubt aluminium cuirass was ever used in warfare.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »

Hammerers won't use anything but a hammer.  Or, they may for combat duty, but not for hammerings.

Is this correct? I was under the impression that these days the Hammerer uses whatever weapon they happen to be holding.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Hammerers won't use anything but a hammer.  Or, they may for combat duty, but not for hammerings.

Is this correct? I was under the impression that these days the Hammerer uses whatever weapon they happen to be holding.

I'll be honest in that I've never even appointed a hammerer, but I'm basing this off a quote from Quietust, who is very knowledgeable about the game to the point of having disassembled many parts to figure out how it works.  According to him the hammerer will go seek out a hammer to issue hammerings and assigning other weapon types will not work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:09 pm »

I'll be honest in that I've never even appointed a hammerer, but I'm basing this off a quote from Quietust, who is very knowledgeable about the game to the point of having disassembled many parts to figure out how it works.  According to him the hammerer will go seek out a hammer to issue hammerings and assigning other weapon types will not work.
This is correct. Hammerers have [EXECUTION_SKILL:HAMMER] in the dwarven entity (which will require a regen if changed) and as such will only use weapons with the HAMMER skill for their hammerings.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »

Use it as a weapon anyway. Screw efficiency.
Pages: 1 [2]