Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Epic Battle Fantasy 4  (Read 3371 times)

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
Epic Battle Fantasy 4
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:03:21 pm »

On Armorgames

http://armorgames.com/play/14799/epic-battle-fantasy-4

The Creator's Deviantart page

http://kupo707.deviantart.com/

Go on a huge turn-based RPG adventure; play as a team of four unlikely heroes and save the world from an uncertain future!

Battle through waves of adorable enemies, explore dark caves and deep forests, loot friendly villages, harass the local wildlife, customize your characters, and defeat the destructive Godcat.

FEATURES

Build up your characters and battle foes:
Over 120 different enemies to slaughter, including some massive bosses.
Over 170 different items of equipment, which grant various effects, can be upgraded, and visually change your characters.
Over 130 different usable skills, which can be upgraded and swapped between characters.
24 creatures that can be summoned in battle to deal massive damage, or buff the party.
Complex battle mechanics allow for lots of character customization and battle strategies.
Difficulty settings allow for casual gameplay, or for more strategic and challenging gameplay.

Explore the world and loot treasure:
Travel through a huge world full of treasures, puzzles and side quests.
Explore 10 different biomes, including a waste disposal plant and a temple in the sky.
Discover optional areas and hidden bosses.
Main quest should keep you busy for 20 hours, and there's a Newgame+ mode with stronger monsters, if you still want more.

Other features:
Inspired by 16-bit era RPGs, but without the annoying features like random battles or save points.
Lots of humor and references to video games and anime.
A cute art style with lots of cuddly animals to kill.
Hot anime chicks, if you're into that sort of stuff.
A mix of orchestral and electronic background music by HalcyonicFalconX.

Now on Steam Greenlight -http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133229519-

How the Steam version will differ from the free web version:
The Steam version will include a new battle area, with stronger versions of bosses, long endurance/survival battles, and some bosses returning from the previous games. New equipment and achievements will be awarded for completing these challenges.

The Steam version will also include all premium content (or DLC) available in the web version, and will not suffer from the restrictions of web browser games; It'll have fullscreen support, no ads, no audio compression, it won't need an internet connection, and it'll have some interface improvements.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:10:22 pm by Markus »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Battle Fantasy 4 -Out Now!-
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »

I'll start: I rarely click random links when the OP doesn't take the time to describe what they're posting about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:58 pm »

It's a... flash RPG. Thing. EBF3 isn't that bad if you don't mind standard JRPG gameplay with nothing terribly inventive. This one is... I'unno, what I've played I didn't enjoy as much for some reason. Felt... grindier? Unnecessarily longer? I'unno. I liked 3 better, at least up to the point in 4 I've reached.

Incidentally, I think it's been out for like a month or something. Kongregate's had it for a while.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »

Its one big Final Fantasy parody, the old kind of Final Fantasy. It's also been out for a while. Like a month already in Newgrounds.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:43:33 pm »

Yeah, basically what everyone else said. Pretty generic old final fantasy parody. It's hardly bad but it's not really anything different either.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:16:17 pm »

Yeah, basically what everyone else said. Pretty generic old final fantasy parody. It's hardly bad but it's not really anything different either.

I like it... Though to be honest, like almost every RPG I'm mostly playing it for the story/characters. The combat can be very repetitive, especially near the end of the game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »

I'm playing on Epic difficulty, be sure to do that or it's awful. However, the factory enemies are kicking my butt. Especially the ones that fire missiles at you EVERY TIME YOU KILL ONE. How do you block that? Do I need more bomb resistance on everyone or something?

Basically, what I really like about this game is how much planning it takes on the hardest difficulty.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »

I'll start: I rarely click random links when the OP doesn't take the time to describe what they're posting about.
. . . Carp. I had meant to come back to this topic within the next hour.

:-[

Before I kick off a meaningful discussion, I'll setup a placeholder description.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:50:23 pm »

I liked 3 better

Agreed. Three was better. Better humor and smoother gameplay. Four lags terribly on my machine and some of the humor is recycled. I give kupo07 credit for trying. It was obvious from comments on the design blog a year ago that he wasn't really very enthusiastic about making it, and it was more difficult to begin with since it's a sequel. (1 and 2 don't really count. Totally different game format.) But then to top it all off 4 has pay-restrictions on the new game plus mode and a lot of the cosmetic content.

*shrug* It's not a bad game. But whereas with 3 I played it start to finish multiple times on multiple difficulties to get all the badges, and kept playing after beating everything to get through the secret areas...4 just couldn't hold my interest and I only played it as long as I did out of nostalgia for the third one.

My advice is, if you want to give it a try...play Epic Battle Fantasy 3 instead. It's much better.

I like it... Though to be honest, like almost every RPG I'm mostly playing it for the story/characters.

See, that's another thing. I like the characters in 3, but in 4 they're kind of tagalongs. Matt even lampshades that at one point. Anna just didn't interest me very much as a character. A lot of the humor in three comes from the fact that the party is, while lovable...kind of dumb and of questionable moral character. Anna doesn't really mesh well.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:51 am »

I like it... Though to be honest, like almost every RPG I'm mostly playing it for the story/characters.

See, that's another thing. I like the characters in 3, but in 4 they're kind of tagalongs. Matt even lampshades that at one point. Anna just didn't interest me very much as a character. A lot of the humor in three comes from the fact that the party is, while lovable...kind of dumb and of questionable moral character. Anna doesn't really mesh well.

I'll have to replay 3 sometime then. It's obviously been too long since I last played it (plus I never finished it, so I now have two good reasons). Yeah, Anna definitively doesn't mesh that well with the rest of the group, though if I remember correctly she doesn't get many lines in the game to begin with.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Battle Fantasy 4
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

I enjoyed EBF3, so hopefully this'll be nice.

Is the music any good? The music in 3 was awesome...
Everybody!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 11:40:12 am »

I enjoyed EBF3, so hopefully this'll be nice.

Is the music any good? The music in 3 was awesome...

I think the music is actually one of the parts that was an improvement over 3.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:59:44 am »

I can't help but read it as Epic Rap Battles of History!

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »

Daaaamn, I remember playing the first one when it came out. I'm not a Final Fantasy guy but I'll give it a spin.