Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42

Author Topic: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught  (Read 32678 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught
« Reply #570 on: April 21, 2013, 11:38:17 am »

The Miranda rights thing is really less a legal obligation, and more like those signs they have on the bottom of lawn mowers that say, "don't stick your hand in here when it's on". They're trying to idiot proof themselves against litigation. They do it because it prevents a testimony against the person in question from being thrown out under the argument that the accused was put under pressure and forced to present testimony against themselves.

If someone isn't read their rights though, that's not a guarantee that their testimony can be thrown out though, because the fifth amendment only says that you cannot be forced to make testimony against yourself. You can still make a testimony, and if you aren't read your right you still have to make the argument you were under the impression you had to testify. By saying you have the right to remain silent they make it clear you have the option not to say anything.

As far as I know it's not even necessarily standard practice to read people their rights when they're arrested, it can be useful if someone says something incriminating just after they've been arrested, but typically they only do it just before you're interrogated... At least if I'm remembering correctly, might want to fact check me on this stuff.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 21, 2013, 11:47:47 am »

I don't. I'm 19 and I know better than to murder and maim people.

I hope he is sentenced to life without the possibility of parole rather than death, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty, and as he hasn't killed any federal agents a federal execution doesn't seem likely.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 21, 2013, 11:55:05 am »

You know people in the US have it easy when they're being apologists for terrorists.

That's kind of one of the reasons why there are terrorists in the first place. You will assuredly remove the problem by not acknowledging the reasons behind their act's. After all, it's not like they're sane.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 21, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »

What's the big deal about this anyway? The guy got caught, he's going to jail for a long time, whether they read him his rights or not. To be honest, I think people made a big deal out of nothing with this whole thing. 3? people died, less than 200 injured. So what?

and this probably made no sense and was at least halfway off topic

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:36 pm »

5 dead, 200 injured is quite a lot

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 21, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »

wait what

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »

wait what
He's saying that killing 5 people and injuring 200 more, some permanently crippled, is kinda a big deal.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 21, 2013, 12:16:48 pm »

wait what
He's saying that killing 5 people and injuring 200 more, some permanently crippled, is kinda a big deal.

Small numbers, those.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 21, 2013, 12:17:57 pm »

For two people? Not really.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 21, 2013, 12:18:55 pm »

I could do better

Not that I would ever do that, of course.

you believe me right

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »

Speaking of this patriotism argument, there is a distinction between pride and blind fervor. I can understand celebrating what your community, and so on and so forth, have achieved. I don't like using it as a rallying point, particularly in a country with the nationalistic bent of the USA, irrespective of this context. They easily blur, and I've never liked the idea that the fact of where you live somehow gives you and all it's inhabitants something to yell over. Claiming to be one doesn't tend to be particularly conducive for trust. I'm doubtful as to whether the fact that a bomber is captured, if worth celebrating in the first place, matters specifically because of your country. Nevertheless, this isn't overly the time to discuss this.

I hope he is sentenced to life without the possibility of parole rather than death, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I trust you take a similar stance on all murders. It's refreshing to see someone take that stance on his ancestors, for that matter. Circumstances in no way dictated their actions.Enough with the reactionary diatribes. Tell me about the last time they helped.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:50:39 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »

Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty, and as he hasn't killed any federal agents a federal execution doesn't seem likely.
The FBI are involved, putting this in federal jurisdiction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 21, 2013, 12:48:45 pm »

Ah, misread your second quoted sentence MetalSlimeHunt. The point still stands, but I'll reduce the hyperbole.
Reading a thinner book

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 21, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »

I have become enraged by the patriotism = blindness argument, because it is a extremist argument only used by people who want total loyalty to the state, OR people seeking to undermine the state. I.e. a communist or fascist argument. I, love my country, it is only because of that, that I give a damn in hell about what it does. I want to make it better.

Seriously, to EVER say that diminishes the value of contributions of rebels who fight against their nation when it becomes wrong. You diminish the work of the germ
Code: [Select]
an resististance, who fought against fascism, becomg traitors, because they loved their country.

Also, the US as an apologist? And I am hearing this from liberals? That is a new one. Tell me we are to soft on criminals next.[/font]
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42