Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42

Author Topic: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught  (Read 32735 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught
« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

That's just standard celebrating, really.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 20, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »

Seconded. I'm doubtful as to if the USA are even the most patriotic in the west.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:43 pm »

I've never seen anything like that in the UK.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 20, 2013, 04:44:19 pm »

I've never seen anything like that in the UK.
That's just standard celebrating [in the United States of America], really.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 20, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

My point stands.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 20, 2013, 04:46:24 pm »

My point stands.
It may stand, but it doesn't really say anything. The USA and UK are different places with different norms.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 20, 2013, 04:48:07 pm »

Yea, its does seem the norm for anything that could be interpreted as a success to be met with you lot over there en masse doing the whole USA chant thing. I remember seeing news footage of it when Bin Laden was killed, wich stirred some odd negativity within me.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »

It may stand, but it doesn't really say anything. The USA and UK are different places with different norms.

But most countries wouldn't have scenes like that after a bombing and the capture of one of the suspects. I was merely pointing out something I found interesting; that nationalism in the USA is the strongest I have seen in the West in the 21st century. In fact - I don't know of another country with stronger nationalism in the West.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 20, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

But most countries wouldn't have scenes like that after a bombing and the capture of one of the suspects.

Rather the chanting than the handgun and rifle fire into the air you might get in some places.

More worryingly, it seems the suspect in custody will not be read the Miranda rights and questioned without the usual protections these offer. Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22232196. John McCain, amongst others, is pushing for him to be held as an "enemy combatant", which would deny him certain rights under law. I mean, come on, try and at least pretend he will get a fair hearing or any conviction will not hold any kind of water.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:59:25 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 20, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »

But most countries wouldn't have scenes like that after a bombing and the capture of one of the suspects.

Rather the chanting than the handgun and rifle fire into the air you might get in some places.
We got a good chunk of that. It was mostly shotguns though.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 20, 2013, 05:04:50 pm »

But most countries wouldn't have scenes like that after a bombing and the capture of one of the suspects. I was merely pointing out something I found interesting; that nationalism in the USA is the strongest I have seen in the West in the 21st century. In fact - I don't know of another country with stronger nationalism in the West.
I wouldn't call it nationalism exactly. There's a distinction to be made between patriotism and nationalism. If you meet an American nationalist you'll know it, mostly because they never shut up about it (also they'll probably tell you to go back to Scotlandistan, even if you are talking to them on the internet). Now, the USA chant in particular is present because it works well as an indicator of solidarity or victory.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 20, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »

It's probably worth noting that that kind of behavior doesn't actually seem very common over here, even if it's commonly televised. I've never seen it in person, despite being in a few areas and events over the years you'd expect to attract that sort of thing. Maybe I've just been lucky, I'unno.

Perhaps more of a thing than in other post-industrial nations, though, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 20, 2013, 05:16:41 pm »

I've seen it a lot.  A friend of mine knows a guy who, the night Bin Laden's death was announced, literally wrapped himself up in a U.S. flag and cruised around Indianapolis in the bed of a pickup truck, chanting and cheering.  Normally that guy would be pulled over and ticketed for what he was doing, but the streets downtown were full of people celebrating that night.  It really depends on where you live, but there are still places where the majority of the population thinks we're the most liberated people on the planet and the rest of the world is still savages living in caves, beating each other to death at random because they don't know any better... and totally buy into the "they hate us for our freedom" rhetoric.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 20, 2013, 05:18:47 pm »

A girl in my dorm wrapped herself in an American flag and ran around the building otherwise naked when Obama won the election, if that counts.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »

I'd agree with MSH, the USA thing's more like "We're facing adversity as one" condensed into three characters, at least in this context. It'd be a tad bit inappropriate if they were saying "We're #1!" in response to the suspect's capture and wouldn't really make much sense.

Now, the USA chant in particular is present because it works well as an indicator of solidarity or victory.
Quote from: Satirical and controversial usage
The "U-S-A" chants has recently been adopted by English football supporters during matches against Manchester United, who have American owners unpopular with the club's supporters due to the clubs being saddled by massive debt. Opposing supporters remind the United supporters of this with the "U-S-A" chant. This was also true of Liverpool, until the RBS takeover.

Bwahahahahahaha
They're like artists with asbos.

But as SalmonGod has said though, still don't get why some Americans get all cheery about killing their enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42