Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Author Topic: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught  (Read 32751 times)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
Re: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught
« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:50 am »

Wait, according to the thread title, one SUSPECT has been killed.

Innocent until proven guilty? Or is it now guilty until proven dead?
It's innocent until you get in a shootout with the police.
If you engage in a shootout with police, you deserve what's coming to you.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 20, 2013, 08:16:02 am »

pewpewpew

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:47 am »

TBH, not so much you deserve what's coming to you as you're probably gonna be the one worst off. It could have been some guy who just happened to have paranoia or something.

It will be interesting if it turns out that he and his brother freaked out at the police because the police approached them for routine check or something. Or just any other, unrelated cause.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:35 am »

We still don't know for sure that they planted the bombs, where the only ones involved, planned it or just executed it, etc. We DO know they got in a firefight with police, so its unsurprising one of them died. There's no 'suspected' there.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 20, 2013, 09:23:05 am »

Apparently Tamerlan Tsarnaev was interviewed by the FBI two years ago at the request of a "foreign government" who were concerned about his Islamist tendencies and his apparent intention to leave the USA and join "underground groups".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10007327/Boston-marathon-bombs-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev-interviewed-by-FBI-in-2011.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/04/20/suspect_tamerlan_tsarnaev_was_interviewed_in_2011_at_request_of_foreign.html

This is from the FBI's statement:

Once the FBI learned the identities of the two brothers today, the FBI reviewed its records and determined that in early 2011, a foreign government asked the FBI for information about Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country’s region to join unspecified underground groups.

In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history. The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011. The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government.

There are lots of countries that could be the anonymous "foreign government" - it could be governments in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan (he expressed admiration for Afghan Mujahideen in his youtube account, favouriting videos about fighters in "Khorasan" etc) though my personal bet is Russia or the Chechen Government in Russia. They mention "the country's region" and people generally talk about the North Caucasus region more often than, say, the "region of North Africa" or "the region of the Levant".

In other news, Dzhokhar's schoolfriends express their shock and disbelief:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/04/19/dzhokhar_tsarnaev_friends_boston_marathon_bombing_suspect_s_friends_tweet.html

He seems to have been quite a popular fellow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:29:59 am by Owlbread »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #470 on: April 20, 2013, 09:31:15 am »

It's innocent until you get in a shootout with the police.
Because the American police haven't shot at innocent people before...?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh wait, no they have. Many times. Including having started firefights with innocent people, as well as wounding and killing civilians sometimes out of incompetence but more chillingly on occasion out of malicious intent.
The police are not infallible. The police are not always on the right side of the law. When you chase someone, they will flee. When you shoot at them, they will fight.
All deserve a fair trial before they are assumed to be terrorists and summarily executed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:19 am »

He was shooting back, LW. The situation is in no way comparable to the police shooting up a car because it has the same colour as the suspects. In fact, this was made clear after greatorder asked his question, so I'm not even sure why you wrote that post unless you were trying to drum up some fight.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #472 on: April 20, 2013, 10:20:34 am »

He was shooting back, LW. The situation is in no way comparable to the police shooting up a car because it has the same colour as the suspects. In fact, this was made clear after greatorder asked his question, so I'm not even sure why you wrote that post unless you were trying to drum up some fight.
But it is comparable to police searching for a murder suspect shooting and killing an armed civilian who later turned out to be innocent. Which was included.

Excusing vague threats of what people deserve is inhuman.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:31 am »

LW, for once... The guy grabbed a cop's gun and shot him. Even if you're paranoid, it's not that hard to understand that that's a bad fucking idea. They didn't just open fire (which is a surprising show of restraint from U.S. police). I doubt that they'd shoot one of their brothers to cover up them gunning him down in cold blood, considering how buddy-buddy they get. I'm the last one you'll find supporting the police, but if someone has already downed a cop, they're already plainly guilty of shooting someone. Pick your fights a bit better than this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36:49 am »

I'm not fighting and I'm not defending the Boston bombers. I'm against the idea of killing first and justice later and especially giving all this power to both the police and terrorists.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2013, 11:21:46 am »

Bay12, you make me sad. To the mines with you!

Anyway, it disturbs me that the relation the elder bomber had with his younger brother is simlar to the one I have with my little sister (of course, without the psychotic tendencies.)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2013, 12:10:51 pm »

I think we all regret he died, if only because it'll make the inquiry much less easy if he's guilty. But while the US police if famous for acting like cowboys, I think we can agree that people dying in police shootout can be expected if you shoot at the police.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2013, 12:15:48 pm »

I'm not fighting and I'm not defending the Boston bombers. I'm against the idea of killing first and justice later and especially giving all this power to both the police and terrorists.
Okay, but in this case the power in question is the power to shoot back at a guy who steals a gun from and kills another police officer, and proceeds to find cover and continue shooting at you. Perhaps it is just me, but that seems to me to be the textbook example of when it's acceptable to use lethal force.

Sure, it probably will be used as an example to demonstrate that police should use lethal force more often in the coming years, even though this was a bizarre one-off scenario. And worried cops will probably resort to force earlier for a few months out of nervousness. And the lockdown of the city and our collective shit-loss was excessive for the situation, and a disturbing indicator of things to come in the political landscape. These are all bad things - but for some reason, you seem to be picking out the one part of everyone's behavior in this fiasco that was unambiguously well-handled.

EDIT: At one point, I'd referred to the campus police officer as a security guard. This was silly of me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:14:50 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2013, 12:37:46 pm »

Wait, I thought he was actually a campus police officer? That was killed? Was I wrong?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »

These are all bad things - but for some reason, you seem to be picking out the one part of everyone's behavior in this fiasco that was unambiguously well-handled.
The part where locking down a city was normalized? Or the part where average people were getting self-righteous about giving free reign to kill suspects? Or the part where the people who weren't scared militarized their city to prove that the actions of few could not take their freedoms?
I'm more concerned with normal people's reactions than the actions of people whose motives are unknown.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42