Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Author Topic: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught  (Read 32650 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bombs explode during Boston Marathon- Suspect Killed, Suspect Caught
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2013, 01:20:54 pm »

The FBI are involved, putting this in federal jurisdiction.

The FBI being involved doesn't mean the crime automatically becomes a federal crime. I'm assuming they are involved at the request of the state, which would still leave the actual prosecution within state jurisdiction, I believe.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2013, 01:22:22 pm »

Also, the US as an apologist? And I am hearing this from liberals? That is a new one. Tell me we are to soft on criminals next.

He's just an innocent kid! All he did was willingly take part in a conspiracy to kill people and fled the scene of a terrorist act. That's just what you do when you're disenfranchised against big bad, right?

Also: Terrorism of any colour is a federal crime.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »

I don't think anyone's called him innocent. I don't think anyone said he should get off easy. I don't actually have any bloody clue what you're talking about, to be honest.

Also, yes, it looks like he'll be prosecuted federally. Still, FBI involvement doesn't always mean federal prosecution.

Look at the MacVeigh bombings, for example:
"On June 13, 1997, the jury recommended that McVeigh receive the death penalty.[61] The U.S. Department of Justice brought federal charges against McVeigh for causing the deaths of eight federal officers leading to a possible death penalty for McVeigh; they could not bring charges against McVeigh for the remaining 160 murders in federal court because those deaths fell under the jurisdiction of the State of Oklahoma"

This seems to indicate a federal prosecution might have SOME difficulty, anyway. I'd say it's hardly a given that he'd be found guilty of federal terrorism charges, but the whole mass murder at a state level thing is pretty clear cut.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:39:06 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:01 pm »

I'm aware you can be prosecuted federally for terrorism, but as far as I can tell a federal death penalty tends to only be applied if you killed people working for the federal government.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »

I'm aware you can be prosecuted federally for terrorism, but as far as I can tell a federal death penalty tends to only be applied if you killed people working for the federal government.
That was my impression as well. McVeigh bombed a federal building full of federal employees. As far as I'm aware, none of the casualties in this case worked for the federal government.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 21, 2013, 02:06:21 pm »

Be that as it may, he committed felony murders and thus is eligible for the death penalty. As he is a naturalized citizen, they might even charge him with treason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 21, 2013, 02:09:26 pm »

Also, the US as an apologist? And I am hearing this from liberals? That is a new one. Tell me we are to soft on criminals next.

He's just an innocent kid! All he did was willingly take part in a conspiracy to kill people and fled the scene of a terrorist act. That's just what you do when you're disenfranchised against big bad, right?

Point me to one instance of anyone actually saying this.  Any American, anyway, since that was your accusation.

Every time something like this happens, this same goddamn argument starts again, and it's just as asinine every time.  Read this, and repeat it aloud until it sinks in: Following the law is not sympathy for the criminal.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:44 pm »

Be that as it may, he committed felony murders and thus is eligible for the death penalty.
Again, not in Massachusetts. There is no federal murder jurisdiction here. They can prosecute him federally for terrorism related charges, most likely, but the murder charges would all be local jurisdiction, and that means no death penalty for them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »

Be that as it may, he committed felony murders and thus is eligible for the death penalty.
Again, not in Massachusetts. There is no federal murder jurisdiction here. They can prosecute him federally for terrorism related charges, most likely, but the murder charges would all be local jurisdiction, and that means no death penalty for them.
Then they'll probably charge him with treason, as I said.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 21, 2013, 02:17:10 pm »

It's possible. I think they'll have a tough go of it if they do, but its certainly possible they'll try.

There's little evidence so far they were part of a larger organization, and you can't really commit treason with just two people on your side of the war. That's not much of a war. And they didn't seem to have their prime goal as aiding enemies, either.

And that's the two things you can be convicted of treason for in the US.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:20:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 21, 2013, 02:34:11 pm »

I don't believe the death penalty is necessary... you can do far worse in the way of revenge by making some conditions possible and looking away... if he is to just simply become a lifer...

And yes, there is always the Manning way to treat a prisoner...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 21, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »

He probably has a life of being driven completely insane by harsh solitary confinement to look forward to.  That's about all there is to it at this point.

So I just woke up and there seems to be a growing flood of video and photos from the lockdown going into circulation.  I think if a terrorist act ever occurs near me, I'm going to just pack up anything I care about and leave until it's over.  I'd rather my children not be terrorized by having military hardware pointed at them for absolutely no reason.  I keep thinking of all the cases I've seen where an innocent person was shot by a nervous officer because they happened to have a shiny object, like a soda can, in their hand at just the wrong moment, which isn't unlikely if they decide to do any no-knock raids.  I also think my chances of being on some kind of watchlist are pretty high, considering how vocally paranoid I've been online for so many years, and having shown my face at an OWS camp.  So I wouldn't want to deal with the extra liberties they may take when they stop at my house.  Yeah, it's far-fetched, but I've seen enough precedent to feel the concern at least has a legitimate basis.  I really should work on getting a bug-out routine in order.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:07:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:15 pm »

He probably has a life of being driven completely insane by harsh solitary confinement to look forward to.  That's about all there is to it at this point.

So I just woke up and there seems to be a growing flood of video and photos from the lockdown going into circulation.  I think if a terrorist act ever occurs near me, I'm going to just pack up anything I care about and leave until it's over.  I'd rather my children not be terrorized by having military hardware pointed at them for absolutely no reason.  I keep thinking of all the cases I've seen where an innocent person was shot by a nervous officer because they happened to have a shiny object, like a soda can, in their hand at just the wrong moment, which isn't unlikely if they decide to do any no-knock raids.  I also think my chances of being on some kind of watchlist are pretty high, considering how vocally paranoid I've been online for so many years, and having shown my face at an OWS camp.  So I wouldn't want to deal with the extra liberties they may take when they stop at my house.  Yeah, it's far-fetched, but I've seen enough precedent to feel the concern at least has a legitimate basis.  I really should work on getting a bug-out routine in order.
What is wrong with you? you should already have a immediate "escape zone of quarantine" plan for when the zombies attack!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 21, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »

The way I hear it he's doing rather poorly and the Boston authorities doubt he'll live to trial...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 21, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »

God damn. He had better recover, damn it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42