Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Layout ideas! and questions?  (Read 2019 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Layout ideas! and questions?
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

Hey there, everyone.
I am pretty new to DF in that I have never gotten beyond the 'dabbling with learning basics' stage, but have played it on and off for about a year now.

I am a perfectionist and a very slow learner, so please bear with me.  What I want is to stop piddling with constant dead-end fortresses and constant restarts, and I hope I have a solution that will work.  I was wanting suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, etc on my ideas.

I have been mainly making forts between the cliff wall and river, due to my lack of knowledge of advanced and even mid-range workshops and such.  I regret that I am a hands-on learner, most of what I need to know I have to learn myself... so I came up with this idea.

A four-stage fortress.

Stage one - build a basic hole in the cliff style fortress, only a two wide corridor leaving expansion room for up to a four wide corridor and no more.  Get basic services up, a farm with farm workshop and still, a woodcrafting area for making lots of barrels (I seem to be addicted to making barrels, I can put almost everything in them and love hoarding food of all types so I end up having a carpenter doing nothing but cranking them and beds out), a fishery, a barracks, kennels, and basic masonry and mechanic shop.  The place would be a basic backbone design with little room for expansion.  That would be my first stage, "survival".

After this, I figure I will open up an area after the river for any and all experiments so I can learn-by-doing. This will be my second stage, or "lab".  The lab will include a huge indoor forest.

Third, I figure I will have enough stores of food (I love to horde huge quantities of basic foods ya never know) that I can do more then the essentials.  I would go north and open an entirely seperate and new opening in the cliff, and make a six-wide path leading directly past the river, at which point it will form a T junction. The T will be the start of a huge "ring" topology hallway which my base will be formed around with food storage, farms, and dining in the center.  Imagine a big thin donut for a hall with the 'donut hole' forming the food industry.  This will be stage 3, or "fortress".

At this time I plan on still relying on basic tech to get me through, as that is all I know.  I figure I can turtle up at this stage when and if I need to.

Next I will build the final stage and the part I have never personally gotten to before... building a metal industry.  This will be my stage four, or "iron age".

The biggest problems I have been getting into are actually ironic... I somehow muddled through getting things running great when I knew less, but now I am making cities that self-destruct or are at the very least incredibly inefficient at the start.  What is a good aggrarean (farming) based build to start with? --and I have looked, not found many... my problem is with task management and what to train on who.

Thanks tons for reading this and for any help you give! It really is appreciated.

[ March 11, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie ]

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layout ideas! and questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

If you're willing to cross your fingers and hope for a Thick vegetation map that isn't full of Hide Root, you could always try a Herbalist build. I've found that they let you take your time in fortress planning, allowing you to put off building a farm for a year or two.
trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Zarimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

I've been doing multi-staged building so far as well. The entryway to my grand dwarven hall is good enough to live in until we hit the river and can plan a bit for what goes beyond.

So far I've been working on an initial colony from cliff to cave river then hollowing out beyond it on a grand scale. Once that's done I withdraw behind the waters and use the entryway for barracks and trade goods.

So far I've been frustrating myself by the grandness of my plans. I'm currently trying to keep it a bit simpler for my main living area and trying harder to work with rivers and chasms that just don't run where I want them to, dammit!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

>mainly making forts between the
>cliff wall and river

It's fine to do that.

>A four-stage fortress

In general this works quite nicely. In fact, I'd say cosmetics are really the only thing that keeps this from being the best way to go. It's just not that big of a deal to build - abandon - move on. But, it does maean that your first section of fortress between the cave face and the river ends up NOT being a nice-looking entry hall.

>I will open up an area after the river
>The lab will include a huge indoor forest.

I know these are popular, but personally I don't care for them. if you play on a thickly wooded map, there's just no reason for them. There are only a few things you have to make out of wood, and personally I find that it's not that difficult to stock up on wood from the outside. For example, in my current game that I'm playing, I started with a Proficient woodcutter, and right now at winter of the second year, I have a stockpile with over 200 pieces of wood in it. That's in addition to all the beds, barrels, bins, shields and cages I've already made. How? I basically just turned him on and forgot about him. And, right now I'm in the process of moving the wood pile to the main of my fortress, behind the river. Even if I never do anything to replenish it, I figure it will last a couple years at least, and there's nothing stopping me from leaving him on, and letting him make the walk from outside.

>"ring" topology

I prefer lattices, myself, but a ring will work. Just remember that you have more vertical space than horizontal space. Your life will be much easier if, whereever you build your fortress, you don't cross any boundaries. Between the cliff face and the river is fine. Between the river and the chasm is fine. Between the chasm and the lava is fine. But, from my experience, once your layout requires people to walk across any of those boundaries, that's when you start having problems. But there isn't much reason to, because there's so much vertical space to work with.

>I love to horde huge quantities of basic foods

This is good.

>now I am making cities that self-destruct or >are at the very least incredibly inefficient

What exactly IS the problem that you're having? How do your cities self destruct? Where is the inefficiency? You always have lots of food, so are you being destroyed by invaders? What's the problem you're having?

>What is a good aggrarean (farming)
>based build to start with?
>not found many

Really? I'm surprised. Ok...it depends on other factors, but personally I always start with at least one Proficient farmer. Sometimes two. It is unbelievably annoying to recruit Novice farmers later on and have them mysteriously "lose" two out of three seeds that they try to plant, while they're learning. You can afford train up skill once you've food aplenty, but in the beginning, I want my farms to produce. Fertilizing with potash the first few seasons can help a lot too. It's a hassle, but in the early years I find it can triple your food production. As to Herbalists, they can be nice once they're skilled, but unskilled they tend to 'fail' to produce anything from an awful lot of shrubs, and even if you start with a Proficient Herbalist, it seems like they bring back an awful lot of plants that are brewable, but inedible. In any case, if you plan to EVER have an herbalist, it's best to start with one. Otherwise don't bother. Also, I like to start with a LOT of food to begin with. I always try to start an expedition with at least 50 meat, and sometimes I've gone as high as 100. Sell one of the iron axes, you only need one axe for woodcutting. That extra food can give you a lot of extra leeway when it comes to surviving past your first winter. Just make sure that once that first winter is over, you've already tunneled out your farms, and made potash if you're going to use it. Potash takes FOREVER to make. As to Chefs and Brewers, I've read a few builds that start with these, but personally I generally don't. You absolutely want to have dedicated people performing these tasks eventually, but I rarely have much for them to do for the first year, and I'm content to let it wait. Still, they're both very reasonable choices, and if you want to start with an Herbalist, a Chef is an excellent accessory to cook up some of those otherwise inedible plants.

My advice would be:

Every game always bring:
2 Proficient miners
1 Proficient Mason
1 Proficient Carpenter
At least 1 Proficient Farmer (maybe two)

From there, it's largely about playstyle and the type of map, but try to avoid doubling up skills on the same dwarf, and anything you do train, be sure to train as high as you can. Any combination of the following would be reasonable for the rest of your team:

a Woodcutter (very useful, depending on map)
1 Herbalist and 1 Chef
1 Herbalist and 1 Brewer
An engraver
A soldier

Now, I'm sure there will be some disagreement about this. This is just what I've found works for me. I know a lot of people like to bring mechanics, for example, but in my first year I never need more than about eight mechanisms, and I find it's a good task for the metalsmith when he arrives. Or even my mason in his downtime. A dedicated mechanic always shows up eventually, and I'll generally draft one after about a year and a half of gameplay. They're just not that important until then. What about the engraver? Well, I find a legendary engraver can do the work at about the rate of roughly fifteen untrained ones, and it's really nice to have masterpiece engravings in my rooms. But, it's an incredibly slow skill to train. So I start right away.

>my problem is with task management and what to train on who.

How so? In the beginning? I try never to start anyone with more than one skill. It's a waste. Eventually you'll want a dedicated dwarf performing every task, and once a game is going I generally have too many dwarves, rather than too few, so I find it's best to start with dedicated professions as soon as possible. Played correctly, a single Legendary detailer can last you your entire game. I've never needed more than two carpenters. One is usually enough. Same with masons. High skill makes things go SO much faster, it's very helpful to get people trained in dedicated professions as soon as possible. This counts for soldiers as well. I always recruit EVERY peasant into my military the second they arrive. I don't expect to fight anything in the first few years, but having a dozen highly trained soldiers already available is extremely convenient. Even if you don't have any weapons to give them, at least give them shields and let them wrestle. Shields are great, easy to make, and even if they'll eventually be weapon fighters, the wrestling training will give them opportunity to increase their physical stats. A few years of that can make an incredible difference when it comes time to fight.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.   :)

Bucket Man

[ March 12, 2007: Message edited by: LordBucket ]

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 02:22:00 am »

If you're looking for fortress layouts, try looking at the Something Awful threads of Boatmurdered and Castlerooter, they have some real interesting layouts and I am currently trying to emulate said layouts.
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BoltsFogs:
the Something Awful threads of Boatmurdered and Castlerooter

Links would be nice.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

Ive already combed through both boatmurdered threads and several others for ideas, they helped a lot with what to expect later on.

Bucket, thanks a metric ton for that advice, I think where I screwed up is training several things on each dwarf and not going over skill 7 on any but the miner... and also that I guess I was trying to build the infrastructure for 100 dwarves with seven... that combo I think killed me off each time lately... I mean I couldnt even flood my fields until the second summer once and when I did I couldnt plant but a tiny bit of it.  Another problem I think I had was constantly upgrading the stockpiles and having the dwarves move the stuff instead of more important things.  I guess my plans got grandiose as I learned more because I kept reading people complain about too many people to support too quick and I worked my poor dwarves to death trying to get ready too quickly for that.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

That problem is only too understandable. Huge waves of immigrants sweeping into the cave, and then you're busy with food and housing for 80 while you ought to build workshops for 30.

The game doesn't lend itself to gradual expansion very well, not in my experience at any rate. I like to stop immigration at 20, 30 dwarves (by cheating with the MAX_POP setting; I prefer this to killing innocent immigrants) and then dig out a fortress that will eventually suffice to house hundreds.

Usually I set up a temporary settlement right past the river, then plan and build the actual main fortress. However, this leaves me with plenty of high-grade furniture all made by the same (now legendary) mason... nice as this may be, no ordinary dwarf can afford such a room even if it's not detailed.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »

The base plan so far:
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5466/baseplanxh8.jpg

After i get these basic needs sorted as I show, I will place my animal center which will have kenels, cages, and a butcher shop in it, along with storage for meat.  After this I am not quite sure what I will do, but depending on how well the food setup works, I may start working on my first army ever.  Notice war dogs, I have always depended on them before for defense.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Looks decent enough from here. The general layout ought to work, however:

- The farm is large enough to feed a thousand dwarves.

- The "food storage & processing" looks rather small in comparison. Even if I try to restrain myself, my eventual food pile quickly becomes as large as this room. But you want to squeeze in at least four additional workshops. Also keep in mind that food will be processed much faster if you have barrels near at hand... even more space.

- stone storage. You don't "store" stone, but rather try to get rid of it. Given how much time you can sink into stone hauling even if you only move the stone into a corner of the very same room, I long ago gave up the concept of actual stockpiles. It would just waste countless workhours without actually getting anywhere, the more so once economy kicks in. As the saying goes, hard work and no pay makes Jack a dull boy.

It's usually better not to have a central stockpile but rather to set up makeshift masonries (mechanics, craftsdwarves...) and turn the boulders into something more useful then and there.

Some claim to be able and get along without any stone piles at all. This doesn't really work for me, though. I still need piles to get rooms cleared out quickly, but I try to at least not move the rock too far.

So, how do you rid yourself of all that rock? Furniture, mostly. A large dining hall not only impresses your dwarves, it's also an excellent stone sink. Furnishing large numbers of private quarters also helps. And, of course, stone crafts: the staple export at least during the early years. If all this doesn't suffice, you may still cover the main hallway with stone-fall traps.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

Great points, stuff I never quite got on my own.

I think my next build will have three farmers(10) and one miner(10) instead of the build the person above showed.  changing them to(10) really does make a difference, and is something I hadn't really fully realized how much before.  My huge problem has always been getting things done and specialization really does help... now I see the problems I had and why.  And yes, the stone hauling is taking tons of my unit's time, I see that too now, thanks for pointing that out  :)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

quote:
busy with food and housing for 80

Granted, there are aesthetic considerations, but I find that housing is completely unnecessary for the first year or so. I've gone as long as two years with absolutely no houses, and only a single barracks bed, no alcohol, and no dining room, before I had my first suicide from depression. And even then it was only because she was injured while sparring.

Focus on supplying food. Housing isn't that big of a factor in determining dwarven happiness.

quote:
I like to stop immigration at 20, 30 dwarves

This will handicap you later on. There are nobles who requires a certain number of dwarves before they'll appear. I'd set it to at least 50.

quote:
stone storage
I long ago gave up the concept of actual stockpiles

Hmm. Point taken, but it does give the inevitable thirty extra dwarves something to do. Also, stone hauling isn't usually a problem in fortresses between the cliff face and the river. One massive pile outside from the begining, and a couple dwarves can easily keep the place clear. It doesn't start to become a problem until you build past the river.

quote:
better not to have a central stockpile

You can always create a custom stonepile that allows only light and dark stone for your mason.

quote:
the staple export at least during the early years

Out of curiosity, how much benefit do you get from trade? Personally, other than the occasional couple pieces of food in the early years, I generally don't get much out of it.

Here's a snapshot of my current fortress. We're only in our second winter, so a lot of things are still pending, but maybe it will give you some ideas:
http://www.ocmartialarts.org/misc/BucketFortress.PNG

(By the way, how do we make images appear as thumbnails so they don't destroy the page width?)

[ March 12, 2007: Message edited by: LordBucket ]

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

First off, I didn't want to say that I'd remain at 30 dwarves forever. Later, more will be allowed into the fortress.

And yes, the problem isn't housing... the problem is that I need to find work for all of them, and a place to work in. Building a fortress takes time, starting off an economy takes much time. I'm not talking about coin economy, but about a production line of workshops supplying each other and producing.

Here's how it goes for me: I set up temporary quarters past the river; then I start digging treefarms (the tower-caps take years; better start them first so they're already growing while I design the actual fortress).
End of first year, 20 immigrants arrive; 10 in spring. Over the course of the year, the treefarms are finished and work on the actual settlement begins.
End of second year, 30 more arrive, plus nobles. Nobles want rooms and have demands; I may know the layout of the mountain and have started digging, but the workforce will still be busy with bare necessities for at least six months, add another six to get things going. When the production is finally up and running, it has to catch up with the accumulated demands of 100 dwarves (armor, weapons, barrels, yadda yadda yadda).

I tried several methods of dealing with this, and neither worked. Maybe if I was willing to make things up as I go... but I usually have a plan of how the fortress should eventually look like, and am reluctant to give in to short term needs.

I only recently came back to DF and rejoiced when I found out that you can control your population without resorting to wanton murder. That's what I'm trying just now.

quote:
Out of curiosity, how much benefit do you get from trade?

Depends. At any rate, even the very first human caravan easily rids me of 100 stone items. I don't really care what I get in return, as long as it's no stone. But of course, I value some commodities higher than others. Foodstuff is alright, brings variety to the diet. Leather and cloth are excellent, as I can't produce either in large amounts -- but I can easily spare a dwarf to make bags, rope &c of them.

[ March 12, 2007: Message edited by: schnobs ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

just use an imageshack.us account... they auto generate thumbnails and thumbnail code for you and are free if you upload a single image at a time via their website.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LordBucket:
<STRONG> http://www.ocmartialarts.org/misc/BucketFortress.PNG
</STRONG>

Is it just me or does the housing look like swastikas? I kind of found it funny anyway   :D

[ March 13, 2007: Message edited by: Xeirxes ]

Pages: [1] 2 3