Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern as sewer?  (Read 585 times)

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
Cavern as sewer?
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:54:08 am »

I just found huge cavern, no idea how far it goes under my fort, now is it possible to use that cavern as sewer for water and/or magma or will it flood upper floors some day? I've read from wiki that caverns will usually have open map edges, so will any liquids go out that way?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern as sewer?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:27 pm »

A double-edged answer.
Yes, you can use the caverns as a dump for any extra water/magma you have and it will flow off the edges without any problems but note that this comes at very severe FPS costs due to the massive amount of water/magma that is flowing (7/7 liquids don't require really any processing, but less requires a significant amount, even more in the case of magma). So while it's certainly possible I highly suggest that you find another method of disposal or in a worst case you create your own outlet (dig to the edge of the map and then smooth-carve fortification in the edge tiles) to keep the amount of moving liquid tiles limited.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:54:30 pm »

Ok, didn't know that is possible, thanks for tip!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »

FYI, you can use the caverns as a dump only if they are open to the map edge.  Usually they are, but not always.  And if you're planning to dump water AND magma into the same cavern, it's possible that you may manage to seal a section of the cavern off from the edge, and then you can have a flood.