Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 1224 times)

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
Noise
« on: April 15, 2013, 02:26:28 am »

I'm planning new fort layout and started to think if food industry make noise in game, kitchen, still etc? I see http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Noise doesn't list kitchen, but can I trust it and place kitchen and food storage near dining hall and living quarters?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:01:18 am »

You can certainly place a kitchen near the dining room - noise affects dwarves' sleep, not their eating/drinking. So put all your food & kitchen & related workshops near the dining room.

As the wiki says, there are only 5 known sources at the moment, but it also states that workshops do not currently cause noise. So you should be fine. Just don't go half-digging out your bedrooms & then digging more while dwarves are sleeping there, if you're concerned about noise.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:35:09 am »

Honestly, though, if your fort is on such a knife-edge that a little isolated noise will cause a tantrum spiral, it was only a matter of time anyway.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:42:09 am »

Honestly, though, if your fort is on such a knife-edge that a little isolated noise will cause a tantrum spiral, it was only a matter of time anyway.

No it is not, haven't mined one stone yet, it's on drawing board, been there 5+ hours now, dont want unpause before got it all planned thru :D

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:17 am »

Incidentally, I love how in some ways Dwarf Fortress does a lot to encourage that sort of meticulous, painstaking planning, but at the same time it's happy to have one flying forgotten beast murder half your dwarves or have a tantrum spiral wipe your fortress out. No other game makes me wrestle with "this must be perfect!" and "sod it, it's all going to go to hell soon anyway" like DF :)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:32 am »

Urist Mc73 pauses game, thinking about future

I usually work with apartment blocks (3 or more z levels with the entrance in the middle z-level). Wood cutting travels 8 tiles so if you want to make sure that the dwarfs aren't disturbed by McLogger you should bury the block 8 levels below the surface, preferably 8 levels below the soil layer for future tree farms. Since digging and engraving are the other main sources, it would make sense to design a whole block in one go and smooth/engrave it before letting in any dwarfs, but I find that difficult to do in the beginning...

Actually, all metal workshops should generate positive thoughts imo. "Slept wonderfully with music of nearby hammers clanging on steel anvils recently", "Comforted by the hiss of ingots being cast"