Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to force clear an area?  (Read 590 times)

Zarimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to force clear an area?
« on: March 11, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

Sometimes I have a stone blocking a door or inexplicable "can't complete due to blocking" on a building. I'd love to be able to sort of anti-stockpile an area, so my dwarves would drag anything moveable out of the area. There's already code to do this for farm plots, it seems.

Is there a way to do this? Alternately, is there a reliable way to get a stone out of a doorway? I tried removing the door and then building it again, but construction kept getting suspended because there was a stone blocking it.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to force clear an area?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Best solution is just to set up a mason's workshop next to it and set them to build blocks on repeat. It shouldn't take too long for them to get to the offending stone.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

I don't think so; when an item is blocking construction, it can't be shoven away because it has been queued for some task. Hauling, presumably, but construction could be as well. Your mason would carefully evade the offending stone.

It may help to remove existing stone piles, or remove the stone hauling (or other hauling labors) from your workers, so queued jobs get executed within reasonable time.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »

1) Removing the stuck-open door and reconstructing it does work. It might have not worked in your case because the blocking stone was flagged to be carried for some reason (perhaps a mason decided to use it), waiting for a while would've fixed it.
2) Perhaps set a stockpile over the area, another stockpile somewhere else and set the 2nd stockpile to take from the 1st stockpile?
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>2) Perhaps set a stockpile over the area, another stockpile somewhere else and set the 2nd stockpile to take from the 1st stockpile?</STRONG>

This has never worked for me, as the minute I set a couple of stone stockpiles, everyone drops what they're doing to fill them with the latest mining refuse...

Short term: unbuild-build. Long term: roaming mason's workshops...

I haven't tested it, but I guess you could designate the area to be a channel (which, like farms, can be built 10x10) and pay close attention so that you can cancel the thing before it actually starts construction... (or is it too late by the time they're cleaning debris off? Like I said, I haven't tested it..) In theory, you should clear a large area... Capitalizing on the fact that dwarves don't dump on tiles designated to be built, you could just suspend the first large channel, and make another one right next to it, and push the rocks even further... Thus clearing out a large area without using stockpiles...

Of course, you'd need a spare miner for that...

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

The only way to force that I know is unbuild whatever it is.  Set up a stockpile under the area, then set another stockpile to take from the first.  It should clear up in no time.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.