Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shells?  (Read 1109 times)

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shells?
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »

Just got a melancholy dwarf because I couldn't get a shell. There are no turtles, oysters,mussels, snails, oysters, or ANYTHING that has shells on my map. To top it off, none of the merchants brought any animals with shells either. It's year 3 now...should I just accept losing dwarfs to something I can't even control. I usually get over L2P issues, but this is a wtf-can-i-do-rng issue. Am I missing something here? or is this just more !FUN!

/rant

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shells?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »

Ever since the latest release, I've never seen or heard of a mood requiring a shell anymore.  I thought Toady might've removed that requirement altogether.  I guess not.  You have no surface water whatsoever to fish from?  Also, caravans only bring processed seafood with the shells already removed, so that's not an option.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:14 pm »

There's a river, but I haven't seen any fish since the first year of so. You can get shells from traders...in my old fortress I bought turtles(in cages), killed them, and got shells.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:31 am »

The sort of fish you catch are vermin fish that dont show up normally.  Set up a fishing zone and assign a fisher to try it out.  If there is nothing to catch you are probly out of luck though, shells are the rarest of treasures.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:22 am »

Iirc, shells are only a possible material for moods if your embark has shelled critters on it / you have produced shells before at some point. Doesn't mean you won't have an unlucky demand for shells you can't get, but it sure does help with the issue.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 07:46:58 am »

Iirc, shells are only a possible material for moods if your embark has shelled critters on it / you have produced shells before at some point.
Wrong - that's how it works for glass and for favorite metals. Shells are only demanded by dwarves who have a preference for them, but they'll demand them even if there aren't any on your map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:12 am »

You can mod your raws to make other items acceptable as shells in artefact creation, e.g. chitin which is useless otherwise. It's very easy, although I don't have the details at hand. But you can easily find a thread somewhere around here.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:56 am »

Well i've gone past the point of caring now...all the shell lovers can die if they want. I'd rather they all die than mod in shells for cats or some crap like that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:56:59 pm »

There are some premade creatures which you can just add in, like cave crabs and such, which are common domestics which you can butcher or sometimes shear for shell.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 09:32:10 am »

Hmm, i've only ever seen demands for shells when it was selected as the base material for a mood - i.e. it would've made the dwarf a master bonecarver. Perhaps training our drunks in other skills would allow them to take a different profession for their mood and dodge the fatal shell requirement entirely?

Although i take shells and related moods as a pure matter of luck (or lack thereof) - if there's something shell-providing on the map, i'll make sure to keep the material on hand for moods, but if there ain't any, any moody shell-lovers get a bunch of wardogs to keep them company in their workshop, and once they finish their mood, they get a nice coffin.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:05 am »

I've been having a similar problem. I'm debating whether to open up the caverns (currently sealed off with two bridges in an airlock setup) to see if I can catch some cave lobsters.
kingubu cancels Efficiency: Taken by mood
Project Whalegun is a go. Load the whale cannon!

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:40:36 am »

I were able to solve my shell problems with (Giant) Armadillos.
To my surprise, they actually give shells, too and were sold to me by my friendly neighbourhood Hippies.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:16 pm »

I were able to solve my shell problems with (Giant) Armadillos.
To my surprise, they actually give shells, too and were sold to me by my friendly neighbourhood Hippies.
The best thing about armadillos is that they breed, so you can keep some ready in case of need.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »

In my current vanilla game, I'm heavily relying on fishing for my forts food needs (now that Im up to 170 dwarves its.. not working very well, even with 10 fisherdwarves)... at one point I had a stockpile dedicated to just shells, and it was overflowing, and I was able to ship out tons of high quality shell crafts thanks to a legendary bonecrafter.

So.. fishing is win for  shells <3
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

zzedar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:34 pm »

Don't fish run out eventually? I thought they didn't restock, that was a bug. Or do you just have to be careful not to overfish?
Pages: [1] 2