Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Breaking point: what would make Dwarf fortress utterly impossible to micromanage  (Read 12060 times)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

I actually play without DT. I have it, I just don't bother.

I recall Toady saying something about dwarven sewage management. It wouldn't break it, per se, but it would be a big step towards it.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Mitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used dwarf therapist once, but it seemed too much work having to tab over, read->change->then write. I find it a lot easier to just change it in-game.

I think that the game could even be playable without pausing, but if the overseer was limited to the abilities of a dwarf? Especially with them having to manage everything, there'd be no chance.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FYI, anyone claiming that merely breaking compatibility with Dwarf Therapist would make DF impossible is wrong, as I and several others do exactly that.

Go Purists!

This.
Go Purists!  :P

For me, it would be far in the future of DF when we can control more than one fortress at a time in our own kingdom and we would have to manage all of them realtime.
I think I would spend more time playing in pause than having the game actually run and I would get confused quickly what is happening at which fortress.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FYI, anyone claiming that merely breaking compatibility with Dwarf Therapist would make DF impossible is wrong, as I and several others do exactly that.

Go Purists!

Similarly with those complaining about announcements "recentering the screen every 15 seconds" or about cats.

That's nice.  I never saw the appeal of elitism but I guess there is still demand to play the game without any of the niceties that make the game playable.  I imagine you would have the same sentiment for people who play using graphics sets.

Go Purists...
Worship!

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile

Go Purists!

Similarly with those complaining about announcements "recentering the screen every 15 seconds" or about cats.

I agree with you, but only partially. I never understood the appeal of DT. If you know what you're doing then you don't need it. You can say that it's hard to micromanage a hundred dwarves, but there are more elegant solutions which result in you not having to pore over every single dorf.

I don't, however, agree with your sentiment about cats. 2cat, man. 2cat. Not even once.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go Purists!

That's nice.  I never saw the appeal of elitism but I guess there is still demand to play the game without any of the niceties that make the game playable.  I imagine you would have the same sentiment for people who play using graphics sets.

Go Purists...

Was just thinking something similar to that...also think its funny that people feel the need to tell others that it is playable under X, Y, Z conditions....despite the thread being a question asking peoples personal point of preference and opinion....

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile

i started off knowing nothing about DF. i ended up quitting my first fortress trying to figure out how to dig. i downloaded lazy noob pack, could figure out how to mod, said fuck it and started playing all over again. (i did do research on HFS and Creatures and the like). i wouldn't say i'm 1337, but i am much better than i was before.

so mods aren't necessary to manage the game. (in my opinion)

i think introducing shops in dwarf mode (dwarves buy from each other) would utterly break the game. i'm expecting you would have to manage the shops personally, and it be too tedious to manage with all the other constant !!shit!! going on.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go Purists!

Go Purists...

Was just thinking something similar to that...also think its funny that people feel the need to tell others that it is playable under X, Y, Z conditions....despite the thread being a question asking peoples personal point of preference and opinion....

It's not my fault the UI is simply horrible and finding a good blacksmith in a swarm of dorfs crowding the meeting hall without "help" is not one of my favourite passtimes.
Sure DF IS playable without DT but it's like playing an FPS with a trackpad... sure you CAN do that and will have some bragging rights if you do it well... but why would you want to do it anyway?
Just use a freaking mouse.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile

I didn't learn about DT until after I knew how to play.

As for making it unplayable, I think ridiculously complex medical system would do it. Stuff like medicines and plague and... *shudder* allergies... You'd have to check each individual dorf to make sure they don't touch something they're allergic to.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile

Hello!

I think it would be better not to get into a purists vs. elitists argument here. Playstyles and players differ a lot, so the features that would break the game for some may not be a problem for others. Just view the statements as expressions of personal preference and style and follow a "live-and-let-live" approach, please.

Personally, I am not using any of the external tools, so their compatibility is of no effect for me. Like the OP, losing the ability to pause would probably cause me a lot of hardship and remove a lot of the enjoyment of the game. The point where the game got unplayable due to the UI would be for me once we get mandatory mouse usage - that is, you can't play the game only with the keyboard. Combined with the lack of a pause function, that would definitely make it impossible for me to play the game.

Other than those, I can't think of any new features that would be game-breaking as the pause function allows us to take a step back, examine the facts and think of a solution in our own time. However, another problem might be the results an increased complexity might have on game speed. If a single frame needs several minutes on an average computer, the game might be a tad difficult to play, I guess.

Yours,
Deathworks

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile

I like the Dwarf labor tool that Dfhack has integrated into the game..
Its not as fast as DT, But I could manage a few hundred of them with it easily.

I think a breaking point would be in 10-15 years when everything is done and the alpha is over.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Nalbir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More features do not have to mean breaking the game.

For example the current feature set can already be made much more manageable using 3rd party tools, dfhack and user GUI plugins literally transform the game without changing the core mechanics. Thus development towards how the user interfaces with the game can allow for many new features without additional manageability issues (beyond what we have currently with the vanilla game).   

In terms of the argument regarding purists. I personally do not see their point. they are considering the user interface as part of the difficulty of the game. This should not be the case, the difficulty of the game are in it's mechanics, not its interface. These are short comings unfortunately as a consequence of a single person dev team.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:49:06 am by Nalbir »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Some people prefer the convenience of additional tools, some people prefer the "pure" game, some people like myself simply learned how to quickly do the stuff the additional tools do ingame either before they existed or before they knew about them, and just don't feel like learning to do it a new way.

It's a singleplayer game, what's it matter whether people use therapist or manipulator or not?

As for the actual topic, adventurous dwarves being able to change their own labors when they get bored of their current jobs.  That would be the breaking point for me.  It's something that would add to the personality of the game significantly, while simultaneously murdering playability and dumping it into a river full of carp and giant sponges.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll never play without DT. I simply don't have enough free time to waste it screwing around with an interface from 1970

And if you're seriously bragging on the internet about being a video game purist with a straight face, I just... wow

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile

poop.
dwarf poop and all the logistical headaches that would come along with it.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5