Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop, Stockpile, and Dining Room Designs  (Read 2120 times)

Jhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshop, Stockpile, and Dining Room Designs
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:55:43 am »

Whenever I make my dining rooms and stockpiles/workshop areas they alway end up as just a large rectangle. Can anyone give me some ideas as for how I should make mine less boring and more productive?

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop, Stockpile, and Dining Room Designs
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

There's always the gold-vein-shaped dining room!

burchalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:40:47 pm »

Also dfhack has this nice feature 'dig circle' (I think) - it allows you to designate circles of variying diameter. Works nicely for those underground "towers".

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:53:39 pm »

For stockpiles, I tend to embed workshops in 3x3 alcoves dug out of the edge of the actual main square/circle/rectangle of stockpiles. For dining rooms, I just remove one or two tiles from the dig designation in the corner after selecting a square, making a nice rounded rectangle.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »

Whenever I make my dining rooms and stockpiles/workshop areas they alway end up as just a large rectangle. Can anyone give me some ideas as for how I should make mine less boring and more productive?
For stockpiles and workshops, make good use of z-levels to increase productivity. Remember that movement along the z-axis takes no more or less effort for a dwarf to travel than along the x- or y-axis; so, if you put a workshop directly above or below a stockpile that has relevant materials, and especially if you make multiple, similar stockpiles across several z-levels, you are able to achieve much greater efficiency than using a stockpile on the same z-level.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

Depends on how big the stockpile is.

If you only need to hold 16 tiles worth of stuff, you can't beat having the stockpile being a ring around the workshop. Things actually get worse if you put a stockpile on an adjacent Z level because your dwarf will prefer to grab the stuff on the square above/below him (minimum 10 step round trip) rather than the stuff on the same floor that would be adjacent to the workshop (maximum 6 step round trip)

But if you're going to make a 500 tile stockpile, then yes, Z levels will be a great boon

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »

Depends on how big the stockpile is.

If you only need to hold 16 tiles worth of stuff, you can't beat having the stockpile being a ring around the workshop. Things actually get worse if you put a stockpile on an adjacent Z level because your dwarf will prefer to grab the stuff on the square above/below him (minimum 10 step round trip) rather than the stuff on the same floor that would be adjacent to the workshop (maximum 6 step round trip)

But if you're going to make a 500 tile stockpile, then yes, Z levels will be a great boon

This is definitely true! For things like a stone or wood stockpile, or a raw food stockpile, z-levels are great since you can just surround each workshop with stairs (or surround some stairs with workshops) and get hundreds of tiles of stockpile where no individual stockpile tile is more than, say, eight tiles away from the workshop.

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:39:34 pm »

Years ago I made a dining room, shape of a skull and eyes were waterfalls, called it weeping skull room, was thinking to do other eye with magma, but it was so difficult (safety and all that), so I just used water, too bad dont have any screenshots of it anymore.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:07 pm »

In my newer forts, I use quantum stockpilers. Mostly as a Master-IN for everything ranging from sticks to stones, booze to tallow.

My Master-IN Minecart Quantum Stockpiler, divided into 8 stockpiles (3 wheelbarrows each (3x8=24 Wheelbarrows working around the clock (which is also my layout for the stockpiler by codename designation)) of 5x5, with a trade depot in the center. Everything is equidistant from the trade depot, especially finished goods, raw materials go into the general clockwork, and from there, into their respective divisions (sub-categorized respective to their workshops/stockpiles, depending on industry). Finished products return to the Master-IN, and are then in close range to the Trade Depot.

This layout also makes cleaning up tons of stone from the fortress hyper-efficient and quicker than just having a few minecarts; an army of wheelbarrows makes it as quick and smooth as 40d's old system of Quantum Stockpiling, and everything else is nice and centralized. Perfect for if you're intent on making a fully-functional dwarven Megalopolis. Saves on FPS, and saves on space so you can have a nice, visually appealing, region.

As a secondary measure, depending on whether or not I have the Master-IN (or need one), if I want to specify and work non-stop on specific materials (relevant if there's a ton of variety in materials, like many kinds of stones or many kinds of wood (Stonesense-vision/screenshots, mostly), then I use a setup much like this to ensure a full-divide, to make exactly what I want out of exactly what I want., especially if I have crap-tons of dwarves, and am overloaded on all kinds of materials, and would best work with quantum stockpiles. Like the other one, this uses Minecart Quantum Stockpiling.

Feel free to use or improve on these designs as you wish.

EDIT:
You can always base the first one off the second one (and vice-versa), and just attach the relevant industries to them directly. Cram an entire industrial complex in a tight area, and go nuts everywhere else. Just remember to maximize on the wheelbarrow help by dividing your primary/Master-IN pile(s), and assigning an efficient workload to each pile; and maybe no wheelbarrows in one or few of them to get everyone in the fort working on collection instead of 1-3 each.

In case you're wondering, I illustrated those images in ASCII-Paint.

EDIT EDIT:
Unlike the second screenshot, 3 minecart dump units isn't necessary. One of them does just as well (workload doesn't spread around as nicely as the stockpile divide method).

EDIT EDIT EDIT: (ADDENDUM)
In regards to the second image, you can offset the division Quantum Stockpiles towards a center point (workshop-wise), and surround it with multiple workshops of the same type, for the same type, in order to mass-produce the materials you want to work with.
□● WWW ----> Finished products return to Master-IN for processing

Something like that. All shops are equidistant from the division pile, so all shops access the same pile, as well as the rate of production being the same across the board (no need to worry about proximity priority if all shops are on repeat).

If you have an insane amount of stone (common, especially), then block production should become a trivial matter by now with these pumping away 24/7. So, 15 stone blocks per operation (from 3 nearby (3-tiles away) boulders at a time), and with skilled enough dwarves, increase the rate according to average skill x3 workers. You'll be making blocks like no tomorrow; perfect for the megaproject producers on the go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:00:36 am by Itnetlolor »

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:31:28 pm »

W - workshop
= - wall
D - door
F - product stockpile
S - material stockpile
> - down stair
X - up/down stair
< - up stair
Code: [Select]
z-1

=============
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=FFFF>>>FFFF=
=FFFF>>>FFFF=
=FFFF>>>FFFF=
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=FFFFFFFFFFF=
=============
z-0

=============
=WWW=WWW=WWW=
=WWW=WWW=WWW=
=WWW WWW WWW=
=           D
=WWW XXX WWWD
=WWW XXX WWW=
=WWW XXX WWWD
=           D
=WWW=WWW=WWW=
=WWW=WWW=WWW=
=WWW WWW WWW=
=============
z--1
=============
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=SSSS<<<SSSS=
=SSSS<<<SSSS=
=SSSS<<<SSSS=
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=SSSSSSSSSSS=
=============

= - wall
@ - statue
h - chair
T - table
V - channel
============DD============
=hhh hhh hhh  hhh hhh hhh=
=hTT TTT TTT  TTT TTT TTh=
=hT@ @@@ @@@  @@@ @@@ @Th=
=   VVVVVVVV  VVVVVVVV   =
=hT@V     FOOD       V@Th=
=hT@V   AND BOOZE    V@Th=
=hT@V   STOCKPILE    V@Th=
==========================
These channels (V) are filled with water, one z-level lower is a gigantic mist generator. This water is also used to drink.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 05:57:20 pm »

sorry this is a bit of topic but what is the most resent DF version?
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 07:04:30 pm »

sorry this is a bit of topic but what is the most resent DF version?
Kinda hard to tell mow many times it's been resent, but if you meant the most recent, then the stickies on the forum header should tell all:

News: June 4, 2012: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 has been released.