Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Moat  (Read 3826 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Moat
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »

I have a magma moat around my glass dome fort, mostly to look awesome but also to keep nasties from climbing up the dome to the hole on top where it hasn't been finished.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:14 pm »

i'm liking the moat ideas so far. even though i scrapped my project i still want to add to the discussion. i want to incorporate the simple pit trap with the moats. probably deadlier with magma moats.

kinda ruin the point of moats, but i find the idea of goblins suddenly falling into a pit of magma due to the lack of a floor very hilarious. i totally agree the idea of walls immediately surrounding moats.

i also think moats should periodically(when you want it to) flood the land around it (obviously not the fort if my knowledge of walls is correct). reduces FPS, but potentially !!fun!! during a siege. probably done with pump stacks somehow.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:11 pm »

there should obviously be a way to clean up the magma or water from a flooding, but i'll leave that to dwarven science.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »

there should obviously be a way to clean up the magma or water from a flooding, but i'll leave that to dwarven science.
Dwarven Science almost invariably suggests that "Magma" is the answer.

Including when the problem is "too much magma".

HTH, HAND. ;)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 11:05:00 am »

for effectiveness and ease of setup, a ditch is best.  If you're concerned about archers, just make the ditch enclose a larger area, or build a wall.  Filling the ditch with water takes time, but careful removal of ramps can address the biggest issue with ditches: things pathing through them.

Moats do have some upsides however, particularly that water can be used for a lot of things besides the moat itself, and the engineering effort of making a moat and a drainage system is the first step towards those other things.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23:24 am »

As of right now, I would say that Magma > Dry > Water moats.
If goblins/whoever get the ability to fill moats, this would change to Magma > Water > Dry.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »

i just had a thought. this is difficult to set up, so this will require engineers.

has anyone found a way to include toxic blood into moats?

gonna require a captured titan or beast though
Pages: 1 2 [3]