Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SalmonGod's Portfolio Blitz  (Read 4829 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: SalmonGod's Portfolio Blitz
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:39:28 am »

It's getting there.  Working on it off and on all weekend.  Not as far as I wanted to be, but I wouldn't say I'm doing badly for only my 2nd serious attempt ever at humanoid anatomy and first attempt at working it freehand.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 02:19:49 pm »

This is for D&D you say?
so are you gonna make him doing an awesome pose then Use a 3d printer and make a model and paint it? :P
'cause that'd be awesome!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 05:56:48 pm »

There was a slashdot thread about this very subject not long ago. (3d printing in the consumer space)

There was (imho) a useful post for someone considering sinking cash into a 3d printer for artistic purposes. It suggested buying an Ultimaker, over getting a makerbot, a thingomatic, or a reprap, and linked to a blog demonstrating build quality.

That's sufficiently high for a "largish" D&D playpiece, but not for a small one, or at least, not without manual cleanup with teensy tiny tools and a big magnifying lens.

I have actually wanted to get into making minis for people, but don't have any connections, and so haven't invested a lot in equipment or supplies. (Surprisingly, leadfree casting at home is reasonably easy. I made a 99% tin pendant as a test piece. I gave it to a friend of mine. I should ask for pics.)

Sadly, 2000$ (or more) for a decent consumer grade 3D printer is too rich for my blood.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 06:34:28 pm »

A friend of mine recently got a Printrbot.  He's been improving the build quality of the machine over the last month or so by printing out upgrades for it.  Last I saw, it was capable of some pretty nice detail.  I'll probably have him print out a couple models for me over the summer, and he wants to make a print of my old Cacodemon model for himself.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:38 pm »

That's cheap enough that I might be able to afford getting one.

What kind of upgrades did he need to print?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 08:58:58 pm »

Don't know.  I haven't seen the machine myself.  I just know he's talked about how it can be modularly upgraded with parts that it can print out for itself.  I've seen three different things that he's printed out, and the layering is definitely getting smaller and more detailed.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:55 pm »

It sounds gearing related, specifically with the stepper motors, but I could be wrong.

Meh. I have so may hobbies already.. it's probably spend most of its life turned off in a corner drawing dust.

(Eg, right now: I have a hammock I am making, I have pixel art obligations in another thread, I have started blueprints for that medieval set of looms, and I have my normal job related tasks. I have too many interests, and not enough time.)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »

I have too many interests, and not enough time.

Right there with you.

One thing I'd love to do, but will probably never have enough time for:  Run an epic community fort and then turn it into a 3d-illustrated comic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:27:36 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Although organic things aren't my forte, I gotta say you're kicking ass  :o  Very nicely done!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 01:31:52 pm »

My wife just finished up her last week of school.  More interruptions. 

Just finished making this.  Only took a couple hours.  My brother is cosplaying as Zidane from FF9.  This is the dagger that Garnet uses to cut her hair.  Our friend with the 3d printer is going to make this real so he can carry it around as part of his costume.

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 12:26:14 am »

Mucked about with Doom for the first time in a year or so tonight.  Gave Project Brutality my first quick try.  Having issues with special effects causing slowdowns...

The reason I'm bringing it up here is I've been depressed as fuck and lacking motivation to do much of anything with what free time I have.  Been wasting it on stupid shit.  Doom is making me feel like picking up ZBrush again for the first time in 3 years to make some HD sprite sheets for the Doom monsters.  Something that game has deserved, and I've wanted to do for a very long time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 [2]