Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scattering Cage Traps around the map  (Read 1147 times)

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scattering Cage Traps around the map
« on: April 14, 2013, 12:33:45 am »

So I generally scatter some cage traps around the map to capture various wild animals for food, and fun.  I ran into a little snag rescently though.  A goblin ambush has arrived with goblin crossbowmen, and unfortunately, their leader happened to stumble right into my cage trap.  Since all the other goblins follow the leader, they are just milling around the cage trap now.  Is there any way to get them to ignore their leader and attack my fortress where I am prepared for them, or get them to go away?  Or will I have to extend a burrow out to some place in line with them and set up siege weapons?

Emerald Salamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scattering Cage Traps around the map
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:38:32 am »

I think has happened to me before. From my experience theres 3 thing you can:
1. Just wait it out until they leave, they'll eventually get bored of waiting and leave, mostly because once their leader has been captured an ambush is usually broken so they'll eventually leave
2. If you've got a drawbridge, open it and allow them to notice it open, they should run straight into your fortress(Lets hope you have traps)
3. Just send out some well armed/skilled millitary
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:49:58 am by Emerald Salamander »
"Therefore, I implore you, merry band of shit-for-brains midgets, to stop acting like idiots."

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:23:40 am »

i have a crazy idea that might work:

dig a tunnel to underneath them and build a cage full of zombies there and link the cage to a lever. Then dig a stairway up to them and run away with your miner. Seal off the passage and release the zombies.

I suggest building a door before you dig the stairs up so that you can forbid it easily should they start pathing to you.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 01:46:16 pm »

So first of all, "randomly scattering cage traps around the map" is a bad idea. See the wiki for tips on catching more guys with less traps.

As far as your current problem, the goblins will continue to path to the last known location of their leader. They will be interrupted from this behavior, however, if you attack them, or get close enough to them. So yeah, setting up a siege engine is, ironically, the best idea. They won't attempt to engage in melee until they run out of bolts, which is a bad idea to attempt. A few ballistae should be enough to get rid of them
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:53:08 pm »

i have a crazy idea that might work:

dig a tunnel to underneath them and build a cage full of zombies there and link the cage to a lever. Then dig a stairway up to them and run away with your miner. Seal off the passage and release the zombies.

I suggest building a door before you dig the stairs up so that you can forbid it easily should they start pathing to you.

I think you're onto something with the tunnel idea, but I don't think your plan involves enough magma.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:41:10 pm »

An interesting idea is to make guard towers near those traps and connect them to your fortress via underground tunnels.  When they are stuck like this, they just need a nudge to get them going again.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »

Well, I learned something.  Wooden ballista bolts don't do any damage ;P.  I started building some iron ones, but then the ambush vanished.

I think I will go back and channel a + around the cage traps to make capturing things more efficient, and think about putting pillboxes out there with fortifications to shoot from.  Once I get some magma pumped to the surface I might try playing with that too ;).

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:38:00 pm »

you sure you didn't just miss? Ballista are supposed to be the equivalent of, say, a gauss rifle to a sheet of balsa. ive blasted down trees or killed ambushes in single shots with ballista. this is when you hit of course. then again, maybe you got an unlucky couple of shots.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:39:43 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »

you sure you didn't just miss? Ballista are supposed to be the equivalent of, say, a gauss rifle to a sheet of balsa. ive blasted down trees or killed ambushes in single shots with ballista. this is when you hit of course. then again, maybe you got an unlucky couple of shots.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=818
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.