Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spore-less caverns possible?  (Read 1109 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
spore-less caverns possible?
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:42:38 pm »

I've embarked in a rocky wasteland with absolutely zero plants or trees on the surface.  Much to my surprise, when I breached the first cavern, I found it totally devoid of plant life, too.  No spores growing on the ground, no subterranean trees.  And no spores appeared on my soil layer.  I dug down, way down, and breached Cavern 3 (somehow totally missed Cavern 2), and it has normal plant growth.  After breaching Cavern 3, I finally have spores growing on my soil layer.  Is this normal?  I thought caverns always had plant life.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: spore-less caverns possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:26:46 am »

it's normal. I think locations with flux stone always have spores but otherwise you have to breach a cavern. It's either a bug or digging into a cavern fills up your fortress with airborn spores that otherwise aren't present, whatever works for you

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:39:14 am »

Caverns unfortunately need to have an actual water pool (like, a large, round, open body of water, not water-filled tunnels) for vegetation to spawn inside them, or for them to release spores. If your first cavern layer didn't have a pool, it'll be barren (but still spawns creatures, I think).
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:42:18 am »

Hmmm... muddy all of the barren 1st cavern so it winds up growing plants from cavern 3?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:48:13 am »

Caverns unfortunately need to have an actual water pool (like, a large, round, open body of water, not water-filled tunnels) for vegetation to spawn inside them, or for them to release spores. If your first cavern layer didn't have a pool, it'll be barren (but still spawns creatures, I think).
Like he said, effectively. However, I had been under the impression that the occurrence of plant life depends on the abundance of water in the regional sense, rather than a local pool. Although, if there is enough water in the region then there's probably a pool on your map, I guess, so it more or less wouldn't matter.

I have had caverns with no life at all, or no life except for tower caps and fungiwood. Those did have mud, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:48:35 am »

Hmmm... muddy all of the barren 1st cavern so it winds up growing plants from cavern 3?

If it starts out muddied (which it usually does) this happens when you breach a "living" cavern, but irritatingly the piles of mud obscure the moss tiles and seems to prevent anything else (shrubs/saplings) from taking hold.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 02:36:35 am »

It did start as mud.  Haven't seen any growth there yet.  I guess it's the absence of a pool in the cavern that's the problem.
There are, in fact, animals in the cavern.  It's only barren of vegetable life.

I found Cavern 2 and it's the same story there.  My tree farms are going strong with Cavern 3 plants.  It's interesting how barren the map is.  My plan is to build an oasis in the desert to welcome weary travelers.  And kill them.  We have an aquifer so water won't be a problem.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 02:54:22 am »

Like he said, effectively. However, I had been under the impression that the occurrence of plant life depends on the abundance of water in the regional sense, rather than a local pool. Although, if there is enough water in the region then there's probably a pool on your map, I guess, so it more or less wouldn't matter.

I have had caverns with no life at all, or no life except for tower caps and fungiwood. Those did have mud, though.

Definitely regional, I had waterless caverns with abundant plant life before.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."