Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wierd problem in games  (Read 1872 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Wierd problem in games
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

Hey guys,

Been searching the internet for a while, but haven't found an actual solution yet. Hoping maybe one of you might know an answer.

For some reason while I'm in games if I have a key held down the computer won't register left and right mouse button clicks (but the mouse wheel registers fine).

Any idea why this might be? And more importantly, how I fix it?

For example, I can't crouch in Borderlands 2 and fire a gun at the same time. It's pretty annoying, and I'd really like to find a solution to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd problem in games
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:51 pm »

Is your mouse or keyboard USB or PS/2? Some USB devices have something called firmware blocking, which prevents certain keys from being pressed at the same time. Rebind the offending keys to different buttons and try again.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »

Is your mouse or keyboard USB or PS/2? Some USB devices have something called firmware blocking, which prevents certain keys from being pressed at the same time. Rebind the offending keys to different buttons and try again.

Hmm. The mouse is USB. The Keyboard is integrated into the Laptop, so I think it counts as PS/2.

I've tried different keys, but it doesn't seem to fix anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »

That's odd. I don't really have much experience with USB mice and laptops, since I hardly ever game on my netbook (thus, no mouse). The only thing I can think of is trying to replicate the bug on a desktop and see if the same thing happens.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:29:54 pm »

Some laptop keyboard drivers have the function of blocking mousepad input while typing.

Looks like this one might have blocked mouse input as well. Look into those configurations.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:42:26 pm »

Some laptop keyboard drivers have the function of blocking mousepad input while typing.

Looks like this one might have blocked mouse input as well. Look into those configurations.

Yeah...I have that disabled. And the trackpad is disabled while the USB mouse is plugged in.

I don't know...it's just weird. I can't see any configurations that would extend that beyond the trackpad, but that certainly sounds like what it's doing.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »

So...it looks like the computer has some sort of built-in default driver for the touchpad.

I've tried completely disabling the touchpad, including uninstalling the drivers.  All that did was give me an active touchpad that I couldn't configure.

Anyone got any thoughts? I've asked the manufacturer what I can do to actually disable the touchpad, but they haven't really been quick to respond.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:40:46 pm »

Model of the laptop?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:49:42 pm »

Sager NP8760
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:27 pm »

Huh, thanks. Wonder how I missed that in my googling last night.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:32:53 pm »

No dice. All of that successfully messed with the Sentelic driver, but did nothing for the other driver that seems to actually be causing the problems.

Anyone have a clue on how I can get rid of that? In theory I suppose I could open up the laptop and try to unplug the touchpad, but I have no idea how easy or feasible that is for this computer. Or how wise.
Come play Mafia with us!

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:52:53 pm »

... In theory I suppose I could open up the laptop and try to unplug the touchpad, but I have no idea how easy or feasible that is for this computer. Or how wise.

Laptops in general have a lot more screws than desktops, sometimes hidden, and are unforgiving in the order things need to be undone.  Ease of access aside, unplugging the touchpad will probably make the BIOS flip its lid; I don't suggest it.

Have you had this problem with any other game on that hardware?

Have you tried using a USB keyboard, so all the input is going through the USB bus?  If it doesn't reproduce with a USB KB, then that points towards the laptop's input channel or drivers.  If it does, then that points towards the input listening module/API-hooks in the game.

Computers are a pain-in-the-ass sometimes...  Good luck!  :)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »

I've tested it in several games as well as just on a blank notepad. It's definitely the computer and not any particular game.

Haven't tried a USB keyboard yet. I don't even own one. Nor is that a good long-term solution as my usual computer use space doesn't have room for anything other than the laptop. (Hence using a laptop in the first place rather than a desktop). I'll see if I can find one to test this out with, though.

I did find a service manual online for the machine, so maybe that'll help.
Come play Mafia with us!

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:24 pm »

I've tested it in several games as well as just on a blank notepad. It's definitely the computer and not any particular game.

Haven't tried a USB keyboard yet. I don't even own one. Nor is that a good long-term solution ...

I didn't suggest it as a permanent solution, only as a test method...  but I wasn't explicit about that.

You don't need to buy one, just find a friend with a fairly current desktop that's willing to shut their box off for 5 minutes, so you can use the KB for a quick test.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom
Pages: [1] 2