Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stopped sparring?  (Read 639 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
stopped sparring?
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

My military dwarfs right now dont seem to be sparring

I have a wrestler squad (who definately should be hammerdwarves by now) and they never seem to sparr. I also have a squad with 2 champions and a hammer lord who did sparr a lot but dont seem to anymore as well

I also have them on stand down and activated so I dont know whats wrong

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stopped sparring?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

They likely have minor injuries to the neck/spine/brain. These will never heal and they will never spar again. This mainly happens when wrestling, so I like to train them in a weapon first. All is not lost, however, you can switch them to using crossbows and they will train at an archery range provided you give them bone/wood arrows.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

god damnit thats it, soo they wont ever heal?

I have a hammerlord almost legendar but he wont try it anymore and my already legendary guys wont train their armour or shield skil anymore which is pretty dumb

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

If heal.exe ever works again you can fix it that way, but yeah, other than that you're out of luck.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

I've gotten to the point I just throw all my new recruits into the pit and when the inevitable nervous system injury comes I sort them into their permanent duty station based on how far they progressed.

I like to keep a lot of archers anyway, so I don't mind if most of them have CNS injuries.  It doesn't affect their aim.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

I just lock them in their room and starve 'em off.

Next migrant wave will refill the ranks.  ;)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

you just need to get more creative with your training. Arena matches still give experience, and you can train stats with swimming, or convert them into marksdwarfs, where sparring isn't an issue.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:21:00 am »

My military remains marksdwarf-only until everyone is in full iron-or-better exceptional-or-better plate + shield.  That way, they not only train their shield/armor skill as they wrestle, but they're much less likely to gain permanent injuries in the process.

Note that more skilled wrestlers are less likely to fail the check to see of an attack was a "practice" strike.  In other words, just like in real life, it's the noobs that will cause wounds.

Frag_Dad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Do you have a barracks? Don't you need one for sparring (although I may be wrong)

Never mind, after I posted that I saw that they did in fact have spinal injuries :P

[ February 24, 2008: Message edited by: Frag_Dad ]

..........., Recruit, has been struck down  x20

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

Now that my fortress gates are finished, the injuries caused by sparring is the #1 loss of life amongst my fortress guard.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!