Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do more towers as neighbours actually result in more undead sieges?  (Read 467 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so i've been trying to generate worlds with alot of towers near a single location so embarks at that location would get the maximum amount of towers as neighbors, and therefore the maximum amount of fundead sieges every year. But i've read somewhere that the number of towers neighboring you dont actually affect how much you get sieged by necromancers and the undead, that just having 1 tower would guarantee their presence, and that more will not necessarily do anything more.

so im asking, ppl who may know from experience, or if you know about invader game mechanics, do more towers as neighbors in the vicinity of a fort on embark actually cause the fort to be siege by more undead? or is it more or less the same amount as any embark in the presence of a tower?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do more towers as neighbours actually result in more undead sieges?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:19:07 pm »

so i've been trying to generate worlds with alot of towers near a single location so embarks at that location would get the maximum amount of towers as neighbors, and therefore the maximum amount of fundead sieges every year. But i've read somewhere that the number of towers neighboring you dont actually affect how much you get sieged by necromancers and the undead, that just having 1 tower would guarantee their presence, and that more will not necessarily do anything more.

so im asking, ppl who may know from experience, or if you know about invader game mechanics, do more towers as neighbors in the vicinity of a fort on embark actually cause the fort to be siege by more undead? or is it more or less the same amount as any embark in the presence of a tower?

I know that I have had an undead seige show up when another undead seige was there when I had 3 tower neighbors.  I believe each tower only has so many necromancers in it, so more towers also means it will take longer before you get seiges that are just zombies.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:22:13 pm »

I'd like to add that they attack ridiculously early too it seems. Captnduck a LPer and maker of DFTUTS lost his fortress in 4 episodes!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 01:52:09 am »

@krogan
yes they do seem to rush you in the first year ranging from claims of 1-30 undead and necromancers (my personal experience was a number in the mid teens at most). Its part of the fun, but nothing fast cage traps cant handle.

@Babylon
are you sure the multiple sieges are particularly due to multiple towers though? i know the siege mechanics for goblins work in the way that there can only be ONE goblin siege at most, but its possible to get multiple goblin ambushes from the same goblin civ.

im proposing the sieges came from the same tower, that maybe its possible to get more than one undead siege per season since there is never a full screen siege announcement like for goblin sieges ("A Vile Force of Darkness has Arrived"), whereas the undead siege simply has a pop-up with "the dead walk". note its possible to get 2 forgotten beasts in close succession as well as rarely titans and megabeasts. (im assuming these are equivalent to sieges)

from my personal experience, a embark near 4 towers did not siege me noticeably more than one of my (perhaps my first fort) earlier embarks near 1 tower.

theres also the chance that multiple towers CAN attempt to attack you, but only up to a certain number of towers (maybe 2 or 3). I tried embarks surrounded by a dozen towers in a recent embark and so far only had 1 siege of a dwarven zombie trio in the fall, its too early for that fort to tell the siege rate for sure though, as its only 1-2 years old.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:34:03 pm »

@Catsup: I've actually had two goblin sieges occur at the same time, which is why I just lost a fortress recently. In the legends view it showed two sieges starting before they both ended around the same time.