Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Music you wrote, played, made, sang, etc.  (Read 2187 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Music you wrote, played, made, sang, etc.
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:28:07 pm »

There are a lot of individual "Listen to this song I made" threads here, but I couldn't find a dedicated "Share Your Music" thread. So let's make one!

This thread is created in the same spirit as The Engraver's Guild; to further your creative and technical skills by creating and sharing music. Feel free to share original songs, covers of songs, instrumental or vocal recordings, and so on. If you're not doing music, feel free to share critiques, links to tools or resources you use, things that inspire you, and so on.

[The rest of the OP is hereby reserved for links, references, guides, inspirations, whatever]

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
Re: Music you wrote, played, made, sang, etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:55:55 pm »

Great idea, I'm reserving this post for some of my more technical songs. I'll post little write-ups about each one aswell :D
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:01:36 pm »

I messed around in FruityLoops for the first time yesterday, playing with MIDI and SoundFonts, and figuring out how pattern-based tunes work. The result of a night spent working through a depression, and listening to the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. Some experiments turned out okay, others were sorta blah, but I figured I'd share them. Comments and critiques are welcome!

Successful Experiments:
The Saltarello's Second Cousin
Very vaguely Saltarello-inspired, moody looping song. The result of mucking around with non-western instruments and scales. Might make an appearance in my forum game, I'm not sure.

Sounds Like Kittens
Simple 3-track looping tune I originally envisioned as a Character Theme, but which degenerated into cute, awkward bumblyness. And then it was a song about small cats. There's a weird interval going on between the melody track and the chords, but I kinda like that they don't match up perfectly.

Some Kind Of NES JRPG Village Theme
Another looping song, this one a chiptune using 8-bit NES synths. The B section feels way better than the A section to me, but I don't know why. It's also pretty damned generic. And yet I still like it... damn you nostalgia!

Other Stuff:
Warm-Up A
Warm-Up B
Short loops done as a warm-up. Might do a thing with them, but I'm not sure.

Unfinished Master System JRPG Overworld Theme
Second looping song inspired by retro JRPGs, this one using synths from the Sega Master System sound card. Super-formulaic and generic, and the B section is missing a chord structure under the melody, because I sorta dropped it as though t'were hot (though it wasn't actually very hot).

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:51 pm »

I have this one project that I kinda neglected. It's a sountrack for an imaginary survival horror game I made up called Abyss. It's set in the Antarctic and is meant to be like if Silent Hill, At The Mountains Of Madness, and the Thing had a baby together. Here's the full album. It's not complete, but it's pretty okay.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »

Posting to watch. I don't really have anything yet, but one day I will.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:50:25 am »

I've uploaded about a dozen original tracks (made in Sibelius 6) onto my YouTube which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIanOakley?feature=mhee

I plan on making them available for download eventually.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:08:36 pm »

Most of my stuff can be found on my sig on SoundCloud.

Some of them are utter crap.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »

I wrote a little 34-second thing a while back.
It's supposed to be a tune that you feel like you'd hear when waking up, or falling asleep. Something like that.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

So I've got two things you guys should check out.

A full length album.

A single where I play around with adding real instruments.

... and then there's this alt rock silliness thing I put together with my brother.

>___>;

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:46 pm »

So I've got two things you guys should check out.

A full length album.

A single where I play around with adding real instruments.

... and then there's this alt rock silliness thing I put together with my brother.

>___>;

What but how much do you charge for this kind of music.

It's good, by the way. The only criticism I could make is a lot of it feels very simple, like it needs more instruments or percussion or something, just more general things going on the background.

EDIT: Or I would say that, but then I listened to Fighting the Shadow King. It's still fairly simple, but you got the gist of "tense game music."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:34:00 pm by freeformschooler »

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:47 pm »

I have been learning music theory in school for nearly a year now, and all I have to show for it is this 12-second piece of crap.

https://soundcloud.com/m-hastae/nyx-castle

Yeah, it's bad. I know. But cut me some slack, it's the first song I have ever made and a just a 8 months ago I literally knew no music theory at all. As for the song itself, it's a short little thing in A Minor that has way too many arpeggios because I'm addicted to arpeggios for some reason.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 12:26:27 am »

Warning: This might be kinda loud. Turn down your volume
Today I tried to write the most over-the-top thing involving bagpipes I could. Having never been to Scotland, and not being Scottish myself, and knowing like 3 bagpipe tunes.... well......

To my vastly untrained ear, it sounds Scottish, at least. Kinda. Also there's about 15 seconds of silence at the end that somehow got there without me knowing.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:09 am »

Warning: This might be kinda loud. Turn down your volume
Today I tried to write the most over-the-top thing involving bagpipes I could. Having never been to Scotland, and not being Scottish myself, and knowing like 3 bagpipe tunes.... well......

To my vastly untrained ear, it sounds Scottish, at least. Kinda. Also there's about 15 seconds of silence at the end that somehow got there without me knowing.
Needs a drone, or else it just sounds like a lone chanter, but the tune sounds quite good.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »

I have been learning music theory in school for nearly a year now, and all I have to show for it is this 12-second piece of crap.

https://soundcloud.com/m-hastae/nyx-castle

Yeah, it's bad. I know. But cut me some slack, it's the first song I have ever made and a just a 8 months ago I literally knew no music theory at all. As for the song itself, it's a short little thing in A Minor that has way too many arpeggios because I'm addicted to arpeggios for some reason.

Because Arpeggios are awesome!

As a long-term musician who's only dabbled in Theory, here's my 2 cents. Your chord choices present a good sense of movement, which can actually be tricky to get down! The rhythm needs to calm its shit, though. Try to focus on a repeating pattern; much as you pick a chord and vary it to create a sense of movement, you need to do the same with note-lengths, intervals between notes, and patterns of beats.

I don't know the proper Theory for it, so sorry if this isn't really clear, but try to find an interesting beat-pattern with note lengths and intervals, and refer to it throughout the piece. Like Chords, you can change these patterns, but try to do so in ways that build or relate to the other original patterns you use.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:21 pm »

PTW this so hard.

I could probably share anything I come up with, but at the moment I have neither recording software/equipment nor a Digital Audio workstation to do anything with the recording.

I also have no idea what I'd be doing in terms of musical writing, I just kinda improvise guitar riffs that sound cool at the moment. I'm dabbling in music theory, but in terms of reading/writing I wouldn't know how to apply it to guitar.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: [1] 2