Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal taming help  (Read 581 times)

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal taming help
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:05 pm »

So I put down some cage traps outside, and I manage to get a breeding pair of ravens. My animal trainer gets them to semi-wild, but then just stops. I try everything, restraints, pasture, releasing, but nothing works. My trainer won't get them any further than semi-wild. What am I doing wrong?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Animal taming help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »

nothing. Your trainer just doesn't know a thing yet about training ravens. Your knowledge has to improve before taming gets better
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:14:06 pm »

So how does that happen?

Dwarf73

• Bay Watcher
  • beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »

not 100% sure, but train some more ravens, probably.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »

by training and retraining the ravens. Every time he goes and reinforces the training, or redoes it from 0 he gathers data for your fort. It shouldn't actually take too many times
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »

The more your trainer trains them, the more knowledge your civilization will gain about that animal, and the more experienced your trainer will become, so they will be able to train the animals to a higher level. You should start getting announcements saying:

"The dwarves of (your civilization) now know a few facts about raven training."
"The dwarves of (your civilization) have attained a general familiarity with raven training methods."

Etc.

Keep in mind that once an animal is above semi-wild level (i.e. 'trained'), it will eventually fall back to a semi-wild (and then even wild) state if it is not continually trained. You'll get a message that your raven has reverted to a semi-wild state. So your trainer will be going over to the animal to retrain it back to its higher trained level, which gives your trainer and your civilization more knowledge/experience.

Urist Mcfortwrecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:44:43 pm »

Also, do these farmiliarity levels apply to the whole civ, or just your dwarves? in the first case, it should transfer to other forts, in the second it will not

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »

I know the answer to that one and it's on the wiki, you could have saved yourself some time.

Every caravan shares a bit of the knowledge you gathered with your home civ. If you start a new fort from that civ later on, you'll have some knowledge of training that animal, but not at the level of your previous fort.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:59:49 am »

Every caravan shares a bit of the knowledge you gathered with your home civ. If you start a new fort from that civ later on, you'll have some knowledge of training that animal, but not at the level of your previous fort.
Also note that regardless of how much training knowledge you export to your civilization animals will never quite make the jump to "domesticated", so no matter what you do there will be no embarking with tame Giant Cave Spiders in future fortresses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Someone1214

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:34:16 am »

Also note that regardless of how much training knowledge you export to your civilization animals will never quite make the jump to "domesticated", so no matter what you do there will be no embarking with tame Giant Cave Spiders in future fortresses.
I think I have a plan about that. It involves keeping notes and making cheating into a game mechanic.