Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Valley full of cyclops  (Read 12612 times)

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valley full of cyclops
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2013, 06:07:43 pm »

your fort hangs on a knives edge. who will win? the cyclopion masses or the demonic hordes? either way, this is a great thread.

what is the name of this fort btw?
Anamducim, The Abyssal Post, name generated randomly and the demons have manage to kill the other demon suffering four losses. The problem is that they are far from the cyclops and most of them are still inside the fortress
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

-Urist McMason, enraged at having found a Gecko Man in his fortress.
Urist McMason likes Gecko Man Eyes.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2013, 06:09:19 pm »

The Abysmal Post- Sacred treasure worshipped by spambots and trolls everywhere.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:16 pm »

i dont think this demonic release was well planned, i mean why release them into your fortress and not simply to the surface via a entirely separate passage? you could have even saved miners by microing and forbidding hatches right after the miner runs past after breaching hell (assuming the demons dont run that much faster than the miner). And unforbidding it when your ready, and the demons will tear down the hatch.

i think you shouldnt have deconstructed that wall-in a while back, your single dwarf could have dug into a isolated cavern section and walled it off, pick 1 plump helmet shrub and start farming, making a kind of mini-fortress completely isolated from the main one. You wont have a bed unless you dare venture out into a cavern section for wood, but everything can be made with stone and if you just have 1 seed and an aquifier or cavern section walled off then its sustainable.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »

You might have missed the part where he'd never seen the HFS before and was caught completely by surprise by it.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:48 pm »

i dont think this demonic release was well planned, i mean why release them into your fortress and not simply to the surface via a entirely separate passage? you could have even saved miners by microing and forbidding hatches right after the miner runs past after breaching hell (assuming the demons dont run that much faster than the miner). And unforbidding it when your ready, and the demons will tear down the hatch.

i think you shouldnt have deconstructed that wall-in a while back, your single dwarf could have dug into a isolated cavern section and walled it off, pick 1 plump helmet shrub and start farming, making a kind of mini-fortress completely isolated from the main one. You wont have a bed unless you dare venture out into a cavern section for wood, but everything can be made with stone and if you just have 1 seed and an aquifier or cavern section walled off then its sustainable.

Safe-ism - undwarvenly safe-ism.  Evil safist!
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »

your fort will be remembered as a passage to hell.  any adventurers willing to brave the demons will first have to brave the cyclopsi and forgotten beasts. truly, this is hell.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »

While I was waiting for my dwarf to dia a forgotten beast appeared, a humanoid composed of pelagic clay with two tails, he ran upstairs and I hoped that he could kill some demons but this is what I get
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, he was made of clay. I could probably kick a clay man into pieces. If I was really good at a foot based martial art.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 12:16:02 am »

That was the original plan, I lose two miners to dig a passage directly to the cyclops but somehow they destroyed a bridge that separates them from my fortress and they all went to there :'( seriusly, nobody went to the passage
"I'M NOT DONE WITH THE GORY PULP THAT IS YOUR EYES! I WILL ERASE THE VAGUE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE EVER ABLE TO SEE AT ALL! FORGET THE VITAL ORGANS, BLINDING THE BLINDED AS I BLIND BLIND PEOPLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!"

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 12:30:49 am »

That was the original plan, I lose two miners to dig a passage directly to the cyclops but somehow they destroyed a bridge that separates them from my fortress and they all went to there :'( seriusly, nobody went to the passage
bridges cannot normally be destroyed by building destroyers. Are you sure you did not try to raise or close a bridge while the demon was on the same tile? because bridges are automatically destroyed if they are activating and a forgotten beast or demon is on the same tile (normally, a smaller creature on the same tile is destroyed).

also, if you tried to use a bridge as your only way to wall them off, then that was a bad idea, you should have at least had safety doors, or better yet, safety hatches, behind your bridge, in case something goes horribly wrong (like what happened to your fort). You can then proceed to construct a wall while they are busy mangling your safety door. Im not sure if more than 1 demon can bash 1 door at the same time, but it usually takes half to a whole day for a forgotten beast to destroy a bait furniture (i use mostly beds, but sometimes also crappy doors as bait).

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:06 am »

bridges cannot normally be destroyed by building destroyers. Are you sure you did not try to raise or close a bridge while the demon was on the same tile? because bridges are automatically destroyed if they are activating and a forgotten beast or demon is on the same tile (normally, a smaller creature on the same tile is destroyed).

also, if you tried to use a bridge as your only way to wall them off, then that was a bad idea, you should have at least had safety doors, or better yet, safety hatches, behind your bridge, in case something goes horribly wrong (like what happened to your fort). You can then proceed to construct a wall while they are busy mangling your safety door. Im not sure if more than 1 demon can bash 1 door at the same time, but it usually takes half to a whole day for a forgotten beast to destroy a bait furniture (i use mostly beds, but sometimes also crappy doors as bait).
I will remember that for the next time, meanwhile I'm stuck with a vampire whose hands and feet are rotten, unable to do anything but watch

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:56 am »

Rarely have I seen a more Dwarfly statement.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »

Now the demons have escaped and they are all over the land, one of them is fighting the cyclops and looks pretty deadly, punching their brains and evading all the attacks, I'm starting to think that this plan was overexagerated
EDIT: Ok, after killing five cyclops he got scratched and died
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:06:06 pm by Skorp »

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2013, 12:09:04 pm »

so who won? the demons or the cyclopi? frankly i think releasing the demons was the fun way to do it, though probly not the best since it would require a extensively micromanaged clean up and many cave-in traps. It still works though because the demon pathing ai will make it go into your cave-in traps and allow you to control them, but cyclopi are trapavoid and wont path to your fort normally.

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »

so who won? the demons or the cyclopi? frankly i think releasing the demons was the fun way to do it, though probly not the best since it would require a extensively micromanaged clean up and many cave-in traps. It still works though because the demon pathing ai will make it go into your cave-in traps and allow you to control them, but cyclopi are trapavoid and wont path to your fort normally.
Right now two ice demons(winged quadrupeds that undulate rhythmically) are spraying them with dust that causes body parts to rot(as I tested with my dwarves) so I'm pretty sure that demons > anything else
The battle

Skorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2013, 12:53:44 pm »

After the battle
Also, can somebody explain me why this guy wont die?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9