Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Death Inc. - Ambient Studios to close, Death dies.  (Read 3802 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Death Inc. - Ambient Studios to close, Death dies.
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:26 am »

Death Inc. is a real-time strategy/puzzle game for mobile and PC, where you play Grim T. Livingstone, freelance reaper. The kingdom of Britain and its evil king threaten the world, and it's up to you raise an army of zombies, invade their cities and bring them down. Originally on Kickstarter, the game failed to meet its funding goal but the devs have moved on to a paid alpha model (like Minecraft, Prison Architect.) For $10 you get access to the alpha and beta builds, and a pre-order for full release.

http://www.ambientstudios.co.uk/deathinc/ - Homepage and ordering info.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/12/death-inc-brings-us-a-paid-alpha-thing/ - RPS article on the paid alpha offering.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/death-inc/ - List of RPS articles on the game, which includes several gameplay videos.

In Death Inc, you use the mouse or your finger to drag death around the screen. As you collect minions, you use Death to create what are basically "scent" trails for them to follow, which is your primary way of directing their movement and activity.

There's several different types of Undead that match up with their living counter parts in a sort of rock/paper/scissors fashion. You swarm your zombies at the living residents of the city, and when they kill someone, they get added to your horde. Many of the game's challenges take the form of puzzles. So there might be some swordmen blocking your route, and they are covered by archers standing on a nearby hill. To ignore the archers would be the doom of your horde, so you have to take out the archers first. Other examples include pushing a cannon around with your horde so it can blast through barricades, using your horde to operate switches and levers, and on. You can supplement your horde with unnatural powers, like summoning a swarm of crows to distract and harry your enemies, plagues and the like.

There's also a management portion to the game, where I guess you build a headquarters for yourself and outfit it with stuff and furnishings. There's also a MP component to it which I haven't taken the time to look at.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:37:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death Inc. - Puzzle-like RTS game, be Death, make people dead.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »

I saw this back when it was on kickstarter; it looks cool but unfortunately I couldn't pledge at the time. Hope they do better with this model :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »

It looks really good!

I got the $10 version but I shall hopefully play it tonight
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:01:12 pm »

It looks really good!

Do tell us what you think of it :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:09:36 pm »

It looks really good!

I shall :) in currently installing my SSD so I can't right now but tomorrow I shall give details ! :)

Also I'm thinking of also doing a 2x give away for this game but I'm not sure how many would be interested.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:33 pm »

It looks really good!

I shall :) in currently installing my SSD so I can't right now but tomorrow I shall give details ! :)

Also I'm thinking of also doing a 2x give away for this game but I'm not sure how many would be interested.

Free things? Count me in!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:48:27 pm »

Me too; that makes 2 of us right now so why bother with a giveaway? :D

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »

It looks really good!

i would also be interested in this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »

If you want to do a giveaway, new thread please.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:27 am »

I'm intrested in it too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:27:54 am »

If you want to do a giveaway, new thread please.

Don't worry I will make a new thread and not steal yours haha

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »

So I have had a small play through of this and it seems like a really fun coffee game which it feels like right now but later on with more stuff in it might feel less like that

The premise is to infect the whole town with the plague.

You start off with a few villagers which you then commands to infect more and more and then you can go on to infect special units e.g. Swordsman which will kill/infect other stronger units so there is some tactical elements to it as well where you are managing your army and getting the right guys for the job while bolstering your forces with the infested.

It's quite fun to steal one of the siege weapons and turn them on the villagers the cannon is fun !

All in all it looks really good even in its alpha state it looks and feels very polished if limited its worth the try ! At only $10 I think it's a steal I think this game once more content starts coming in like new units and powers and the managerial parts come in it will be a really fun game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death Inc. - Ambient Studios to close, Death dies.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:44 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/death-discorporated-ambient-studios-to-close/

Sad news. Even with the pre-order Alpha scheme, Ambient didn't make enough money to keep the doors open. They'll be closing. Alpha backers will be receiving refunds.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:32 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/death-discorporated-ambient-studios-to-close/

Sad news. Even with the pre-order Alpha scheme, Ambient didn't make enough money to keep the doors open. They'll be closing. Alpha backers will be receiving refunds.

:/

If anyone is interested in playing what the alpha was PM me or I will post a link in this thread ? If that would be ok? I don't know what this world be classed as now ? Abandonware?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:51:10 pm by ScriptWolf »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 01:16:38 pm »

Lame! :( What are they doing with the game in it's current state? Releasing it as freeware? Open source maybe?
Pages: [1] 2