Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how to cage-trap FBs?  (Read 1400 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to cage-trap FBs?
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:45 am »

Anybody have a good design for a trap that will cage-trap a forgotten beast?  I tried to build my own setup that would use a cave-in to knock the FB into a cage trap but it didn't work.

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to cage-trap FBs?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:54 am »

to my knowledge, cage traps can only ensnare FBs if the trap has the web of a giant cave spider on it, since those arachnid badasses can go toe-to-toe with FBs and come out strong, with maybe a name bestowed upon it by fearful dwarves.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:20:37 am »

If a FB doesn't have the ability to shoot webs then a cage trap covered with a GCS or FB web will trap it. If a FB has the ability to shoot webs, then nothing can ever catch it in a trap.

FB's can't be caught by normal "knock-out"/stun methods due to the fact that they all have [NOSTUN].
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:25:28 am »

If a FB doesn't have the ability to shoot webs then a cage trap covered with a GCS or FB web will trap it. If a FB has the ability to shoot webs, then nothing can ever catch it in a trap.

FB's can't be caught by normal "knock-out"/stun methods due to the fact that they all have [NOSTUN].

How about through pain, dizziness and unconsciousness syndromes?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:04 am »

How about through pain, dizziness and unconsciousness syndromes?
If you modded in a unconsciousness syndrome that specifically targeted FB's (which I'm not sure if it would work, you would need to discover the generated creature names for FB's, use them, and hope the game would parse them) that might work. By default FB's are immune to all vanilla syndromes by benefit of not having any creature classes, and they also have [NO_DIZZINESS] (and potentially NOPAIN as well? I don't remember) which stops dizziness from working.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:12:30 am »

OK, so it looks like if I want to capture a web-slinging FB for purposes of silk farming, I'm going to have to lure him into the farm rather than trap him and bring him to it.

Once I have my silk farm, how does this webbed cage trap thing work?  Is it the cage that needs to be webbed, or is it the cage trap (already installed in place)?  Could I simply place my empty cage stockpile in the silk farm, or do I need to bring the silk farm to the installed cages?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 12:42:23 pm »

Once I have my silk farm, how does this webbed cage trap thing work?  Is it the cage that needs to be webbed, or is it the cage trap (already installed in place)?  Could I simply place my empty cage stockpile in the silk farm, or do I need to bring the silk farm to the installed cages?
It's the traps that need to be webbed, so you need to bring the silk farm to the traps. (Be careful while retrieving the cages since webbed traps will capture dwarves as well!). A fairly well-working method for catching clowns may be found here, and it only takes a bit of a change to work on FB's instead.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 01:06:06 pm »

What if you "wash" them into the trap?

EG, you have a long corridor with traps on it, with the FB and water source at one end, and a drain at the other. You open the floodgate/hatch, and send 4/7 water down the constricted hallway. At that depth, objects and entities will be pushed. If the FB is pushed into the trap by the water, will it be trapped?

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »

This is a silk farm that uses captured FBs to capture non-webbing FBs. The FB is surrounded by fortifications, with a raised bridge to the rear of the cell. All of the bridges between the FBs and the 2 dogs are linked to a single lever, and control the webs. I've captured about 12 FBs in cages, plus the 4 manually trapped with bridges and bait. I have so much excess silk, that I've resorted to killing off FBs if they can shoot webs.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »

What if you "wash" them into the trap?

EG, you have a long corridor with traps on it, with the FB and water source at one end, and a drain at the other. You open the floodgate/hatch, and send 4/7 water down the constricted hallway. At that depth, objects and entities will be pushed. If the FB is pushed into the trap by the water, will it be trapped?
Pushing creatures doesn't stun them or influence them in any way other then pushing them, so no; they would just be pushed onto the traps and be fine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

Wash it down a hole then, drop it a few levels, and have the trap at the bottom?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 04:28:12 pm »

Wash it down a hole then, drop it a few levels, and have the trap at the bottom?
FB's and clowns have [NOSTUN], which prevents stunning them through dropping.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:42:53 pm »

That just sucks.

Short of syndroming them unconcious, there's no way to catch them then.

For that you would need something like stunning dust impregnated crossbow bolts, and a drop pit filled with cagetraps.

Drop the FB in, all floor tiles are a cagetrap, and start poking it with the stundust bolts. It passes out, bam. That's assuming you *have* such a syndrome inducing weather you can weaponize though.

I suppose that if the FB is a desirable webber/weaponizable extract puker, you could use the "wash" method to wash them into a specially made pillbox made of fortification slits, then just wall up the cieling.  Still "caught".

Personally, I just wall them off and ignore them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »

As I pointed out earlier, FB's and clowns are immune to syndromes through the virtue of not having any creature classes. As such no vanilla (and most modded syndromes) don't work on them. PRetty much the only way to get a syndrome that does is to specifically design it to do so (which I'm not sure would even work).

Also as I mentioned though, you can catch both non-webbing FB's and non-webbing clowns through use of a cage trap covered by the web of any creature with the [THICKWEB] token (which is everything but vermin spiders in vanilla DF).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:49:13 pm »

That just sucks.

For that you would need something like stunning dust impregnated crossbow bolts, and a drop pit filled with cagetraps.

Drop the FB in, all floor tiles are a cagetrap, and start poking it with the stundust bolts. It passes out, bam. That's assuming you *have* such a syndrome inducing weather you can weaponize though.

I suppose that if the FB is a desirable webber/weaponizable extract puker, you could use the "wash" method to wash them into a specially made pillbox made of fortification slits, then just wall up the cieling.  Still "caught".

Personally, I just wall them off and ignore them.

Could you potentially cave-in a rock "cage" on them? It's a one-shot trap, but it could work
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: [1] 2