Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MidBoss  (Read 6683 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: MidBoss
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 10:08:21 pm »

Iunno, is there a class/race that can posess things to such a degree in dungeon crawl? I'd say that's more then enough to differentiate it, until that happens. Also it's shorter, not skill based, etc.

Also also, I think people were complaining about the skeleton because it needs a (rather excessive) amount of grinding to get them killable. Admittantly at the time I didn't think to just level up the imp and instead randomly jumped between creatures, so that might've had something to do with it too. Either way it's a challenge where the solution is just "grind until you can kill it" which while not terrible (especially if later on the game evens out a bit), could use a bit of work in my opinion.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 12:19:31 am »

Since when do you not grind in a game that uses a level and skill point system? Actually, since there is a limited number of creatures, I see it more as resource management.

I haven't bothered to play past the skeleton though, as I find the game way too linear, but even the caterpillar like thing makes me feel like it would be a better idea to just level up the imp all the time, using possession to steal abilities and restore health.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 03:53:34 am »

Iunno, dungeon crawl for instance, you just clear a floor and head downstairs the vast majority of the time. Grinding might happen from time to time later in the game (I admittantly have never gotten that far), but by and large it doesn't happen that often. And if this is the only instance in the game of it happening then great! But it still seems out of place to me.

And yeah I have to agree, right now at least it seems like just grinding up the imp form constantly and ignoring other forms aside from getting skills or healing seems to be the way to go; I feel like there's a bit more that could be done with the mechanic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 06:43:33 am »

Now hold on. Why can you call it grinding in this game, but say that clearing the entire floor in dungeon crawl isn't grinding?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:25 am »

Grinding is a repetitive activity, exploring a floor to find new items and monsters doesn't really fit that bill.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 05:27:57 pm »

Ah, if it wasn't for those items I'd have to disagree. Time to add items to Midboss!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 07:49:48 pm »

Yeah I would say items make all the difference in this case, given how item based dungeon crawl is. :P

Eniko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 10:06:50 am »

Hey guys, game's creator here. First off I wanna say thanks for playing the game and offering your thoughts and constructive criticism! It's really easy to get demotivated when you're working on something for so long and you have no real indication people are actually playing it, and reading your posts really got me motivated! :D

Addressing a few concerns, like Greymane relayed for me, I am aware the start of the game is too hard. I had to redesign the core of the game to fix a big balancing issue, and it not only made the start of the game too hard but made the game very confusing, with two stat panels and two types of stats to spend. Fortunately the redesign gave me more ideas on how to do it right, and in the new version of the game I'm currently working on possessing a monster will be more like taking on a job from one of Final Fantasy's job systems. It'll be easier to understand and manage, and give more ways to specialize your playstyle.

The new version will also have bigger, more interesting floors which should reduce the "clear floor, move on" grind and make exploration more of a choice. And I intend to add some form of loot system, for sure. If you wanna know more about this or other changes and new features, there's info on the forums over on the website. You can also leave feature requests and suggestions there, if you have any. :) Or post here, and I'll read it too!

To give you all an idea of what the new redesigned version will look like, here's an in game screenshot of where the game is now:
Moe game developer

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 10:11:12 am »

Hey guys, game's creator here. First off I wanna say thanks for playing the game and offering your thoughts and constructive criticism! It's really easy to get demotivated when you're working on something for so long and you have no real indication people are actually playing it, and reading your posts really got me motivated! :D

Addressing a few concerns, like Greymane relayed for me, I am aware the start of the game is too hard. I had to redesign the core of the game to fix a big balancing issue, and it not only made the start of the game too hard but made the game very confusing, with two stat panels and two types of stats to spend. Fortunately the redesign gave me more ideas on how to do it right, and in the new version of the game I'm currently working on possessing a monster will be more like taking on a job from one of Final Fantasy's job systems. It'll be easier to understand and manage, and give more ways to specialize your playstyle.

The new version will also have bigger, more interesting floors which should reduce the "clear floor, move on" grind and make exploration more of a choice. And I intend to add some form of loot system, for sure. If you wanna know more about this or other changes and new features, there's info on the forums over on the website. You can also leave feature requests and suggestions there, if you have any. :) Or post here, and I'll read it too!

To give you all an idea of what the new redesigned version will look like, here's an in game screenshot of where the game is now:

all i have to say is wow.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:20 am »

well and truly seconded.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 10:19:20 am »

Stellar art. Can't wait to play the finished product.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26:10 am »

If very minor nit picks are allowed, that imp has an absurd waist:hip ratio.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »

My fingers hurt... Why do I have to spam the movement keys???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:32 pm »

Since when do you not grind in a game that uses a level and skill point system?

Roguelikes in general use a elastic band system that makes leveling up a bad thing.

Elona, for example, the goal is to level up as slowly as possible because fast progression makes your stats suffer and ruins your character.

Ivan there was a belt of health that was suicidal to put on because difficulty was directly related to your health point pool, so putting it on tricked the game into thinking you were a great adventurer.

Then there are Roguelikes that specifically implement a system to prevent you from grinding.

It is hardly an unknown thing in roguelikes to punch you in the face because you decided to stand around and level a bit.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »

If very minor nit picks are allowed, that imp has an absurd waist:hip ratio.

So you're an expert on imp anatomy now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3