Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MidBoss  (Read 6686 times)

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MidBoss
« on: April 11, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »

"MidBoss is a game about possessing your defeated enemies in order to become stronger. You play the weakest of the dungeon denizens, an imp with no ability other than possessing other creatures. Your goal is to defeat and possess increasingly stronger creatures, unlocking their abilities for yourself and becoming stronger as you go along, and eventually defeat and become the dungeon's ultimate endboss."

http://www.midboss.net/

I have to confess that I'm shilling for a friend here, but it's only because I think she's made an enjoyable game and she's too shy to self-advertise. MidBoss is a lot of fun and a fairly novel concept for a dungeon crawler. She is really looking for feedback and I'm hoping you fine people might be willing to give her some so I can keep her motivated to continue developing the game. If you have an opportunity, please check it out and let her know what you think.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: MidBoss
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 08:05:24 pm »

Seems cool but tough.  I couldn't beat a skeleton.   :'(

Took me quite a few tries to get the hang of the possession bit.  Kind of an interesting way to build up your character.  I'm guessing I should have overleveled a bat or something to be able to beat a skeleton?  Or maybe there was an easier level on level 2 I was supposed to kill.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 08:20:42 pm »

Okay first off, this is a great idea and I love it, but as of now there are a few things to look at. (Side note, I managed to get through most of the first floor, skeleton keeps kicking my ass, seriously are you supposed to go back and kill them later? Because as of now I'm just grinding rats and bats to try and kill them, and I've ran into multiple setups where the stairs were behind the skeleton, so I either had to kill them or make a mad dash and hope a rat or bat never cuts me off.)

The posession, while it works well and I like the concept (posessing creatures, maxing them out, then basically using them as free heals), as it keeps the idea that you are a little imp dude and not whatever thing you're posessing at the time. There's a reason to deposess, and a pretty big one. Very good! I'm assuming later monsters will be bigger and more useful to "hang out in", so I'm leaving out that there's unfortunately not really a reason to stay inside of anything, because presumably later on there will be. The difficulty also seems pretty steep even for a roguelike, it seems like I spend most of the first floor or two at least running away from skeletons and trying to kill as many rats and bats as possible which really, at the end of the day just comes down to grinding.

Minor niggling stuff, music is okay for a little bit but the fact that there's a single track makes it grind on the ears a bit. Might look into making a few different tunes. There needs to be a map, period. Even if you're not supposed to grind out full floors it's good to have one to know how to get to where you need to be. I'm presuming it's on the way, because it seems kinda odd that it's missing entirely.

Finally, please add a way to know if you've hit something or missed it without the audio cues, again as I went along I found out it was fairly minor but it'd be good to know if an envenom or life leech for instance, landed on an enemy. Also of note, maybe a way to tell if enemies are poisoned or whatever.

I like the concept and I'm looking forward to see where this goes so keep at it!

EDIT: Oh, I missed the F menu completely. That's very handy! And might solve some of my complaints. (doubledit: it does, I've scratched out the parts I no longer really have an issue with currently) But brings up another point, why isn't that in the game start paragraph? Honestly just saying "check out the readme to learn how to play" would probably be better, but maybe some form of in game tutorial was required for the game jam this was a part of? Anyway. Back to fiddling.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:52:04 pm by Seriyu »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:10:15 pm »

Honestly just saying "check out the readme to learn how to play" would probably be better
Maybe the readme should have a filename that indicates you are meant to look at it :P.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:14:40 pm »

Well yes but if there's an instruction screen I expect it to teach me the vitals of how to play and not tell me three buttons and then leave out the fourth one. :P

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:44:14 pm »

PTW and eventually play later. Looks fun.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:47:37 pm »

This game is really god damn hard (that or I am playing it wrong  ::) ). I find it best to think of it as somewhat "puzzly" in the sense that posessing things in certain orders and abusing abilities is basically a requirement to not dying horribly.

I really like the possession mechanic though. If the game had more stuff it would be alot more fun too.

Finally, please add a way to know if you've hit something or missed it without the audio cues, again as I went along I found out it was fairly minor but it'd be good to know if an envenom or life leech for instance, landed on an enemy. Also of note, maybe a way to tell if enemies are poisoned or whatever.

Keep pushing L and you will get the log that tells you hit-misses.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »

Oh right, forgot about that thing. Thanks!

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:34:03 pm »

Pro Tip from the creator, after I showed her this thread:
<@Eniko> yeah, it is too hard
<@Eniko> you need to grab the mastery bonus from maxing out bat and rat and then basically overlevel imp to get to the skeleton after which the game opens up.
<@Eniko> ... feel free to pass that along. D:

So, it's not just you guys. Even she admits that the skeleton is currently too challenging. Thanks a bunch for the feedback and suggestions so far. It's hard getting Eni motivated, but this seems to be doing it.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:15 am »

Pro Tip from the creator, after I showed her this thread:
<@Eniko> yeah, it is too hard
<@Eniko> you need to grab the mastery bonus from maxing out bat and rat and then basically overlevel imp to get to the skeleton after which the game opens up.
<@Eniko> ... feel free to pass that along. D:

So, it's not just you guys. Even she admits that the skeleton is currently too challenging. Thanks a bunch for the feedback and suggestions so far. It's hard getting Eni motivated, but this seems to be doing it.

Horay, its not just me.

I do hope she continues to work on the game, more content (particularly more creatures) would be excellent.
It would also be cool if the creatures statistics were a bit more random, so there were stronger and weaker versions of the same creature.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:44:14 am »

Okay, skeleton is currently an issue, good to know she knows! Otherwise echoing what alexander said, it's a really neat concept, I'd love to see it worked out more.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:51:26 am »

Cool idea, will definitely give it a spin!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:44 am »

Music was pretty awesome. The rest of the game... not so much. Rather bad, to be precise. I didn't figure out to the end why skeletons attacked me on sight while everyone else just milled around randomly. Nothing was explained, in particular the stats screen. The combat consists of punching repeatedly and hoping the enemy misses more often than you. Some enemies have skills that cost more SP than they actually have. The AI is non-existent, with 'passive' monsters (basically everyone except skeletons) ignoring the player while he slaughters their comrades but skeletons attacking the player on sight even if he is currently possessing a form that they usually ignore (like a plague rat). The game is pointlessly hard without the player being able to do anything about it (due to the aforementioned extremely dumbed-down combat), with even the weakest enemies taking away 3/4 of the healthbar before dying.

So yeah, I would recommend to your friend to become a musician instead. That seems to work out better. ;)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 06:06:14 am »

Initially MidBoss was developed over the course of three days for Ludum Dare #25

So yeah, descriptive terms like "dumbed down" may be a bit unfair given the terms implications.

Also most of the combat for me consisted of using Envenom (which is probably over-powered), just punching enemies doesnt seem to get you very far... And you did up your health and Con diddnt you? If you do that the enemies do much less damage.

You eat your own head

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:49 am »

I don't get why people were complaining about the skeletons. I took me very little time to realize that the Imps 20 health easily lets it deal with the skeletons once you overskill it a bit.

I feel the game would become similar to dungeon crawl (albeit a little too linear) if you could get more info during combat, like health and status effects and hits or misses.
Pages: [1] 2 3