Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster way to designate minecart tracks  (Read 834 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Faster way to designate minecart tracks
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:57:53 pm »

Minecarts are pretty fun. Designating the tracks, though, is tedious and annoying, especially across several z-layers. I'd like to see a way of designating them that would just let me select the beginning, select the end, and have a track carved between those two points. Just find the shortest path between two tiles, treating only natural rock floors and ramps as passable, allowing only orthogonal movement, and make it a track. This will not necessarily give ideal behaviour all the time, but for me, the most common source of irritation is designating a track through a long, winding, mostly vertical passage that is the only track-passable route between the endpoints. I think it'd save a lot of hassle.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faster way to designate minecart tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:07:57 pm »

This isn't really special to tracks; vertical mining in general could be made easier to designate.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »

It kind of IS special to tracks in that the best track route is often the shortest path between the end points, which is not the case for most mining. Finding the shortest path between two points in unmined rock always results in a crude approximation of a straight line, which doesn't look very pretty and doesn't really mesh well with most popular fortress designs.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:32:58 am »

This sounds like it would be an interesting mode for track designation/construction.
Designate a start and end, let DF's pathfinding algorithm determine the path to connect the two (or say the given path is impossible).

This isn't really special to tracks; vertical mining in general could be made easier to designate.
In case you don't know, we can now designate across Z-levels.
Start designate up-down stair on the level you want start, go the Z-level you want it to end on and  hit enter. You now have the entire column of up-down stair designated.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:10:11 pm »

This sounds like it would be an interesting mode for track designation/construction.
Designate a start and end, let DF's pathfinding algorithm determine the path to connect the two (or say the given path is impossible).

In case you don't know, we can now designate across Z-levels.
Start designate up-down stair on the level you want start, go the Z-level you want it to end on and  hit enter. You now have the entire column of up-down stair designated.
I'm pretty sure this doesn't work for carving tracks :(
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.