Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90679 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

God damn it.

I was fighting the throne duo. The guardian was almost dead and the watcher wasn't far behind, but I had taken some hits and was looking for an opportunity to heal.
The watcher decides to go for one of her heavy stab attacks. No problem, I've blocked dozens of them over the course of the fight, this would be no different. Would be no different, that is, if my controller had not chosen this precise millisecond to stop transmitting the block command. On screen my shield had not even begun to lower, but the watcher's sword went through it as if it weren't there at all. I died.

Time to take a break and change the batteries in that controller.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Would be no different, that is, if my controller had not chosen this precise millisecond to stop transmitting the block command. On screen my shield had not even begun to lower, but the watcher's sword went through it as if it weren't there at all. I died.

That has seemed to happen to me a few times as well.  I'm not entirely convinced its the controller.  I half-think that the game just forgets that you have the shield up 1% of the time.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The shield stops blocking damage as soon as you let go of the button, not when the shield lowering animation plays. This caught me a few times, but it's never just decided to not block a hit before. The batteries in the controller were low, so I'm more inclined to believe it was at fault rather than the game.
                        - Random human lord

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The shield stops blocking damage as soon as you let go of the button, not when the shield lowering animation plays. This caught me a few times, but it's never just decided to not block a hit before. The batteries in the controller were low, so I'm more inclined to believe it was at fault rather than the game.

I dunno, I'm inclined to agree with Levi. Maybe it's the timing of the animation fucking with me, but there have been a few times I've mashed the block button and the game didn't seem to recognize it (in time for me to not have my face smashed in.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I remember specifically one time against just a regular easy hollow zombie guy where I could have sworn I had my shield button pressed the entire time, and he just attacked right through it.  Its possible I could have let up on the button a bit, but I don't think I did.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:02:28 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well when you raise your shield there is a fairly significant period of time before it actually takes effect. If you played the first game, the change can catch you off guard (pun unintentional). There have been many times where I thought I would block something but didn't, but I've always been able to link it to me not raising my shield fast enough or releasing the button for a moment. Some enemies also have unblockable attacks.

So I just randomly stumbled onto the crushed eye orb invasion...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
                        - Random human lord

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh heh, yes I used two ascetics. Now I'm glad I decided not to find out what three would get me...

Oh, did I mention I'm in the company of champions? Yeah, that probably doesn't help either. Well, time to experiment with weapons.
                        - Random human lord

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

If you can use the Great club or something, you might be able to stunlock her on the ground with the 2hand R2.  That was my approach.

Speaking of, I love my Great Club.  If only it fit aesthetically with the armor I'm favoring.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The weapon selection is somewhat lacking so far.
I could use a good two handed one so I have some punch AND range.

The Belltower covenant is a lot of fun though.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finally got her with a poisoned bandit knife. She had 12000 freaking hp! I just had to keep slapping her around the room while the poison and bleed did their things. I had to guide here in a circle around the central pillar because if we got too close to the walls, something would make me miss a hit, allowing her to get a spell off and kill me.
                        - Random human lord

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

Anyone have any tips for advancing through the Pilgrims of Dark covenant?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 53