Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90779 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Forward, and to the right. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #420 on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »

Shields are still moderately the same in DS2, I would say, honestly.
Keep in mind, that, in DS1, you were dealing with enemies that were often much larger than you.
In DS2, most enemies are both humanoid, and not that much bigger than yourself.
So really, enemies that shields work best against are more common.
But it takes a short while for shields to get to their best point.
For example, until you get used to enemies not staggering every time they hit your shield, you're gonna have a bad time.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:58 am »

Huh, jump attack is super broken on the mouse & keyboard setup. Apparently to trigger it, you need to do the following:
1. Hold space to run
2. Hold 'w'
3. Hit 'f' while still holding w and space to jump
4. Release 'w'
5. Hit 'g' before you land.
Yeaaaah, good luck with that without using scripts... Especially if you needed to use the jump attack in, say, combat. Where you either need to re-position your left hand entirely, and thus give up any ability to dodge, or take your hand off the mouse entirely and give up your camera control.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2014, 10:16:23 am »

Huh, jump attack is super broken on the mouse & keyboard setup. Apparently to trigger it, you need to do the following:
1. Hold space to run
2. Hold 'w'
3. Hit 'f' while still holding w and space to jump
4. Release 'w'
5. Hit 'g' before you land.
Yeaaaah, good luck with that without using scripts... Especially if you needed to use the jump attack in, say, combat. Where you either need to re-position your left hand entirely, and thus give up any ability to dodge, or take your hand off the mouse entirely and give up your camera control.

The logic boggles the mind. I simply don't understand how they can understand the need for controllers to provide direct, simple input, and keyboard gets saddled with a minimum of 2-key combinations to work. And you can't even map the buttons yourself, only the pre-arranged combinations, which OF COURSE do not factor in extra mouse buttons beyond 0, 1 and 2.

For guys that make such great games, they have zero fucking clue how to handle input for a PC. Or more appropriately, they just shoved PC config into the controller framework they'd already built. And there's STILL other BS going on, like no setting to hide the mouse cursor.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2014, 10:31:56 am »

To be fair, mouses usually don't have more buttons than 0,1, and 2. Being able to map stuff ourselves, rather than pick from a list, would be nice though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:24 am »

To be fair, mouses usually don't have more buttons than 0,1, and 2. Being able to map stuff ourselves, rather than pick from a list, would be nice though.

Any gaming mouse made in the last 15 years has 5 buttons. Developers that don't accommodate that are deliberately cutting corners.

Put another way, dedicated PC games almost always account for this. Console ports don't.

Or put yet another way, why does it make sense to have a heavy swing be Cntrl + Click when with 5 button mapping, it could have been button 3 or 4? Answer: They didn't want to do the extra work.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:37:11 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2014, 11:48:42 am »

Assuming a dedicated gaming mouse is sadly naive. It'd be really nice if everyone used up-to-date hardware, but that absolutely does not happen. Heck, it's only recently that games started assuming the presence of a mouse wheel, and even then they're screwing laptop gamers.

The weird multi-button combo for KB/M jump attacks is weird. Are you sure all those presses are required? I know that, on controller, it's "tap forward + attack", but the timing is very finicky and slightly offset, to the point where performing it in combat is unreliable at best. It would make sense that the same inputs are required in the KB/M variant, just with the same obnoxious staggering controllers suffer from.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 30, 2014, 01:14:23 pm »

Assuming a dedicated gaming mouse is sadly naive.

Not even accounting for it in your design is just lazy.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 30, 2014, 03:02:03 pm »

I didn't even know specific gaming mouses existed, tbh.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2014, 04:39:00 pm »

I didn't even know specific gaming mouses existed, tbh.

It's a mouse you pay more than $15 to $20 for. I've been using them for the last decade.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »

A couple years ago I used a normal mouse that wasn't even designed for gaming and it had two buttons on the side for navigating web pages. After using a mouse with more than 3 buttons it is difficult to go back.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 30, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »

Double post because...
I was going to post about how I'm kinda disappointed that they changed the Zweihander, I just got it last night before going to bed.

And then I literally launched one of the Alonne knights 10 feet into the air.
The shock of realizing I could do that ended up getting me killed.

EDIT: Of course I say this and then notice that, even while wearing the bracing knuckle ring, its durability depletes reaaally quickly.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:06:57 pm by OzyTheSage »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 30, 2014, 10:56:31 pm »

Double post because...
I was going to post about how I'm kinda disappointed that they changed the Zweihander, I just got it last night before going to bed.

And then I literally launched one of the Alonne knights 10 feet into the air.
The shock of realizing I could do that ended up getting me killed.

EDIT: Of course I say this and then notice that, even while wearing the bracing knuckle ring, its durability depletes reaaally quickly.

Seems to be level appropriate. I didn't even see my first "Your weapon is in danger!" message until I'd cleared all the starting areas and had three bosses down. Maybe I was staying alive and avoiding bonfires longer, but I kinda doubt it. I wonder if some enemy defense value, that scales as the game goes higher, erodes weapons quicker.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 30, 2014, 11:24:46 pm »

The weird multi-button combo for KB/M jump attacks is weird. Are you sure all those presses are required? I know that, on controller, it's "tap forward + attack", but the timing is very finicky and slightly offset, to the point where performing it in combat is unreliable at best. It would make sense that the same inputs are required in the KB/M variant, just with the same obnoxious staggering controllers suffer from.
It's actually even worse than that. The 'g' key in that combo is the 'left attack' button. So why can't you just use the mouse for that combo?

By default, the strong attack for both right and left are bound to 'double mouse right' and 'double mouse left.' "But wait," you might be thinking, "what does that have to do with a combo?"

Well here's the part where we put our pants on our heads and start tasting paste. They determine whether the mouse was pressed once or pressed twice by introducing a delay in mouse click input, to wait for the mouse to be potentially pressed again before acting upon it. Which means any attack combo involving any mouse buttons will time out and fail before the input is registered as a single mouse press. And thus the only way to pull off any combo is to ensure every button in the combo is pressed on the keyboard only. You can unbind the strong attack from the double clicks so they are set to nothing; but they still wait the time it takes to determine if the mouse was pressed twice. And if it was pressed twice while unbound, it doesn't do the single press action, it does nothing.

Every single combo that involves anything bound to the mouse. Completely broken unless you use solely the keyboard. The guard break combo (or whatever it is, I've never actually seen it) is similarly broken; though I believe it uses the 'h' key instead of 'g.'

The only real fix I've seen online is variations on these instructions to install autohotkey and macro scripts to 'rebind' the keys. When the only way to effectively rebind your controls to something useful involves installing 3rd party macro scripts, your shit is broke. We wrote better input handling code in less than a week during our spare time as university students.

The saddest 2 lines in that script are these:
~LButton::H
~RButton::G
This is literally saying "When the default mouse attack bindings are pressed, intercept the button press, and emulate a press of the default keyboard attack bindings." just to get rid of the artificial input latency.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:35:46 pm by alway »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:28 am »

Well at least that's one thing you can say remains consistently brutal in Dark Souls 2. The PC controls.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 01, 2014, 12:07:44 am »

So what's going on?  PC Master Race what?  "Wait for the REAL version to come out on PC" what?  Fluid controls with better FPS what?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 53