Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90701 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Out now on Consoles. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:01 am »

Yeah Dragon Rider is more like the 2 or 3rd boss. I suggest instead of dodging get a 100% phys block shield and just block the hits, as long as you don't get hit by the shield bash you should be able to take them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 11, 2014, 07:42:35 pm »

Are you fighting the Dragonrider?
You went the wrong way, hard.
B-but he was the first boss I fought.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »

I had an interesting glitch today. I was fighting a Drakeguardian while waiting to be summoned, and it so happened that the summoning started during the fight. I went reckless trying to kill it before being summoned, and thought I might have died just as it went to the loading screen. Then, after returning to my world, I return to the ragdolled body of the Drakeguardian. They don't ragdoll.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:17 am »

EDIT: SPOILER WARNING FOR FIRST 7 HOURS, DONT READ BOSS SECTION

So, I finally got to try this this weekend and sunk a good 7-10 hours in, enough I think for a pretty solid first impression. And it was great, but I do have some quibbles. Let me break it down:

-Combat is a bit different. Everything seems a bit slower and heavier, though on the bosses it feels largely the same as DS1. Parrying took some getting used to, as now you've got to wait for them to fall on their butts before you can riposte, which makes it damn near impossible to do when you're fighting multiple enemies. It's also much, much harder to parry now without a shield, since it's such a slow animation, but with practice I think I could get the timing right. I'll not try it on the first playthrough though. I've yet to try a dual-wielding build, either. Magic seems much more accurate now, and the extra copy of Soul Arrow early on is greatly appreciated, as it means my early sorcerer can rely on magic rather than having to get up close and personal with a dagger to defeat everything.

-The critical attack animations leave something to be desired. I'm having a lot of fun with both of the Handaxe criticals, but I miss the backstabbing blades actually clipping through their chests with sprays of blood. Backstabbing with a dagger just looks like you're pressing the tip up against their back. Also, the Drangleic Armor kicks ass, and totally makes up for the disappointment that is the player version of the Balder armor (finally, a cape!)

-I really like the design of the new Hollow Soldiers. They've still got some of the old cheesy fantasy looking ones in that first castle, but the Spaniard footpad hollows are great. I got one of their helmets and there's no way I'm taking it off, ever. Except when I found the better, shinier, non-hollow version.

-The max health thing, unfortunately, turned out exactly as I expected: it's pretty damn annoying. With the greater number of stats (separate stats to increase stamina and carry weight, really?) requiring greater level investment to improve physical combat, higher stat requirements on most equipment, far fewer 100% physical shields, and low starting stats, the sorcerer is pretty damn fragile at the start, even moreso than DS1. At full hollow, I literally could not take a single hit from anything but weaponless hollows. Blocking wasn't much better, and since that first area full of hollows seems to like to throw outnumbering ambushes at you from behind in tight places, dodging wasn't much good either. Several levels later it was better, but holy shit. Thank goodness for the large leather shield

-Enemy extinction is bittersweet. Permanently getting rid of the most annoying enemies, and clearing the path between the bonfire and the boss, is awesome. There's enough souls in any given enemy before it goes extinct that I never really feel starved, but since there's only so many souls in the game (I know about coop but I'm not online yet) I can't bring myself to buy consumables, since using them but dying before accomplishing the purpose of their use means that the souls invested in them were permanently wasted. And it's a thousand times worse a feeling to die before you get back to your bloodstain. I'm not much of a farmer, but I am running our of hollows to practice with different weapons on.

-In contrast, the bosses so far have been a bit easy. I've fought the Last Giant, the Pursuer, the Dragonrider, and Ornstein so far. Of all of them, the Pursuer is the only one that really gave me a lot of trouble. The Last Giant and the Dragonrider were pretty easy to maneuver around and blast with spells, or alternately hit with the handaxe. The only reason the Dragonrider killed me so many times was that the arena was so damn tiny, and I found later that there were levers outside to make it larger, and had I known that I don't think I would have died except the first time, before I figured out his moves. Also, my brother found out you can just shoot him with 200 arrows from outside the arena then just go over and hit him once to win. Without having to worry about dodging Smough, just using the usual tactics for fighting Ornstein (Oldstein?) made short work of him. The Pursuer should probably have been easy too, but I just couldn't seem to get the timing on my rolls right. I eventually won when I figured out you could hit him with the ballistas, and it would reduce his health to a gnat's width.

-So far the new areas look pretty cool, and have great new designs, but I am noticing some recycling. I have found two separate areas that look like a blend of the Catacombs and the Depths, and through the second of these (props to the developers for that cat ring puzzle, though) I found what can only be described as Blighttown.

-Probably haven't gotten far enough for it, but am beginning to wonder: when can I find someone to teach me new sorceries? I've found a lady with a treasure trove of early miracles but haven't seen any sorceries since the soul arrow and great soul arrow in the first castle. Also, where can I get my weapons imbued with this shiny new elemental titanite?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:27:43 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2014, 12:37:19 am »

Elemental titanite is actually pretty far in.  Compared to DS1, it'd be about at the end of your first of the four archdemons - like, after you beat Nito...  It's quite a distance.  But essentially?  You run through Heide's Tower of Flame, get the miracle girl, talk to her to exhaust her options.  She'll change locations to the spinning room on the way to Heide's, and allow you to go a different route.  Go ALL THE WAY through that, to the end, and you should find a 'dull ember' along the way.  Then go BACK to Lost Bastille and break open one wall with a TNT barrel that rolls down the stairs.  Now... now you can imbue...

Suggest you wiki it for better explanation.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2014, 12:41:48 am »

Oh, I found that guy in Lost Bastille. The one who's sitting there, talking to himself and waving his hammer in the air right? I figured it would be him. I've got 3 hunks of special titanite already, though the only one I can remember is "darknight."

Not that it really matters, though. I can only play when I visit home, and since the PC version will come out in a couple weeks, I'll probably start over on that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2014, 12:50:46 am »

Different types of imbues scale differently.  Dark stacks with your Intelligence OR Faith, whichever is higher.  Elements now scale with something, so there's no reason to power health and then go lightning - your lightning weapon scales by faith now, so you need something ranked up to do damage...

Fire uses Int
Lightning uses Fth
Magic uses Int
Dark uses Int or Fth...
I think Bleed and Poison scale off something, maybe?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2014, 12:55:41 am »

-The critical attack animations leave something to be desired. I'm having a lot of fun with both of the Handaxe criticals, but I miss the backstabbing blades actually clipping through their chests with sprays of blood. Backstabbing with a dagger just looks like you're pressing the tip up against their back.
Try backstabbing with a halberd. It's pretty spectacular.

Fire uses both Int and Faith, poison goes up with Dex, and bleed, bizarrely enough, goes up with Faith.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:05 am »

So, on none of the bosses I've seen so far have there been any summon signs. Do I have to look for hidden NPC's and talk to them first (I've talked to many NPCs, including a masked lady who said she'd help me) but I haven't seen one summon sign. Do you have to be human to see them? Do you have to be human to summon help online?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:56 am »

From what I've read: yes, you do need to be human.
I've seen (and used) a few summon signs, all whilst human. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2014, 01:50:48 am »

Same as DS1, you can only summon while human.  And not in the Covenant of Champions - that one explicitly denies you friendly summons, though it doesn't tell you in-game...

Decent plan?  Be a strength priest.  You start with extra heals, a powerful mace (still my main weapon), and can go towards tower shields with str that copes well with your mace.  With the heals, you can turn human near the boss rooms and then heal the missing HP before summoning aid.

There's not many NPC locations to summon, though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:06 am »

So wait, invasions while fully hollow but you still need fully human form to summon, on top of the effigies being rare? Sounds like putting down a summon sign means a loooong wait for anyone to pick up. From what I've seen, one simply cannot afford to be in human form (unless effigies become farmable later on).

Do you have to be human for that blue sentinel ring to summon help in invasions? Because that sounds like the only way to reliably co-op, if so.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:56 am »

I've had no trouble being summoned, actually.  I haven't actually found the invader covenant, but it seems to be so far along that it's nearly NG+ before invaders start arriving...  And effigies aren't that rare if you know how to use them.  You shouldn't ALWAYS be human, but should probably run through an area a time or two hollow and figure out what's up, then go human, summon aid, and go for it.

I actually get summoned REALLY fast, pretty much everywhere.  Supply and demand - being human is slightly harder, but there's a lot of players, while most are hosts and there's few phantoms.  Means phantoms get snatched up and summoned quickly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2014, 02:24:05 am »

Huh. Sounded like it would be the opposite, with a bunch of hollows clambering for the rare hosts who dare to use their effigies so they can restore humanity without using the precious resource. But, it's just my impression after 7-10 hours. Won't get any more time with this until either I next go home or it comes out on PC and I can justify shelling out $50 for anything.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2014, 02:31:33 am »

That's what you'd think, yeah.  In practice, though, I end up getting summoned sometimes as soon as I lay my sign down.  There's a lot of people from DS1 who aren't so intimidated by the PVE, or are playing a second or third character and are confident in their ability to handle PVE and not waste humanities.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 53