Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90717 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Out now on Consoles. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #225 on: April 06, 2014, 06:20:48 pm »

I could probably try and help you on a few spots if you tell me your soul level and soul memory, and location.  We can go full name-engraved and get pretty jolly.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2014, 07:32:48 pm »

I can't play online so no jolly for me.
I get to suffer everything SOLO!
Which is to say, snake lady died hard.
Now I'm stuck at a mean demon who smelts my flesh with a big fire sword.
He not squishy flesh like snake lady.
Sword bounce off demon like midget wrestler bounce off trampoline.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:39:01 pm by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »

As you enter the Iron Keep, you'll see an item under spewing flame.  If you don't go up there, but instead to the right through a short hallway and quickly left, you'll find a few secret rooms, AND a few water urns.  They increase your fire defense, a bit.  There's also the Dull Ember nearby, which unlocks McDuff's imbuing options.  I assume the giant metal guy is vulnerable to lightning, but I dunno.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:31 pm »

I've almost beaten the game, and i still cant beat that guy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

I am beginning to think that the covenant of champions affects invaders as well as NPCs. I just summoned a red and he was able to soak up around a dozen hits from me and then kill me in two hits.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2014, 11:29:25 pm »

I am beginning to think that the covenant of champions affects invaders as well as NPCs. I just summoned a red and he was able to soak up around a dozen hits from me and then kill me in two hits.

What kinda build are you using?
Its entirely possible that the enemy red just had a better build, what your describing sounds like a typical match for my dex build.
Its also possible that he was in the higher range of people matchable to you and was just higher level/better equipped in general.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2014, 11:30:31 pm »

Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:22 am »

What kinda build are you using?
Its entirely possible that the enemy red just had a better build, what your describing sounds like a typical match for my dex build.
Its also possible that he was in the higher range of people matchable to you and was just higher level/better equipped in general.

It's sort of an all around build. Level 75ish and All my stats are under 25. Medium armour, halberd+7 and a bow and pyromancy for range. I haven't been leveling vigor because hp is usually my last priority.
He was definitely higher level and better equipped than me, but how much? He must have had at least 3000 hp. I don't know how much that is in DS2, but you'd have to make an extremely health-centric build if you wanted anywhere near that in the original.
I've heard conflicting reports about how soul history plays into multiplayer. If things are completely based on soul history then that might explain it since I have lost a lot of souls.

I didn't think it was as straightforward as that, but it might explain some things.

Also, does the lag seem worse than ds1 for anyone else? Everyone I've fought seems to get ridiculous phantom range and I seem to get lagstabbed more often. One guy even managed to get a backstab when on my screen he was standing in front of me. It's really annoying when a fight is going my way and then I get backstabbed out of nowhere.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2014, 04:18:34 am »

Easy Guide to winning all of the early game bosses with summons (NPC or player).
Get Red Eye Ring.
Get Tower Shield (starting one is fine.)
Upgrade tower shield as much as you can.
2h tower sled right outside the boss door, summon someone.
Go inside, hide in a corner, and only let down your shield in between enemy attacks to recharge stamina. For skeleton lords just move around and dodge the fireballs.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:35 am »

*Snip*

I've heard that soul history is the only decider on matchup, but honestly I have no idea. Well, whatever the matchup system is it wouldn't be strange to see people in the 90-100ish sl range matched with you, so I'm just going to assume the red was around there.

Now, ever since I've been a part of the Souls pvp community (since the early days of DaS1) Hp has been considered one of the most important stats for a pvp build, so it wouldn't be strange to see someone around 40 vigor by your level, maybe even all the way up to 50. According to wikidot, you get 30 hp for every level in vigor from 0-20 and 20 hp for every level from 20-50, so that is 1200 hp just from vigor. Additionally, you get 2 hp whenever you put a point in any stat (whenever you level up) so we can assume this guy is getting around 200 hp just from his SL. Now frankly, I have no idea what base hp is, but looking at my character's stats it seems to be around 600. So 3k sounds like a bit much to me, but it wouldn't be strange to see someone in the low 2k range at this point. So maybe the covenant does affect that or maybe you're just exaggerating, If he was wearing heavy armor it would make his 2k hp count for a lot more.

As for the two shot part, it doesn't sound very strange to me. Getting two shot is a pretty common occurrence on my dex build with ~17 vigor and 1200 hps. He's rocking light armor cause I wanna be mobile so I'm probably a bit lighter armored than you (full bandits set cept Varangian helm cause it looks cooler), but you sound like you have even less hp and I can get two shot by things like enchanted katanas. So if he was using an enchanted weapon, especially a heavy enchanted weapon, I could definitely see you getting two shot.

Also, does the lag seem worse than ds1 for anyone else? Everyone I've fought seems to get ridiculous phantom range and I seem to get lagstabbed more often. One guy even managed to get a backstab when on my screen he was standing in front of me. It's really annoying when a fight is going my way and then I get backstabbed out of nowhere.

Personally I've found the lag a lot better. I played tons of PvP (probably somewhere in the area of 200 hours just on PvP) in DaS1, and I used to get lagstabbed about every other match. Never quite got a hand of either landing back-stabs or avoiding them, kinda why I stopped fighting in Kiln.

Now I definitely get some lag still in DaS2, I've been lagstabbed once or twice and it's an annoyingly common occurrence for a hit to land on me when I'm 15 feet away cause I rolled, but I'm no longer getting lagstabbed every other match so it's all cool.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:16 am »

Well, I picked this up today. Fun stuff! Died plenty of times already.
I have a question though: How do the multiplayer bits work, exactly? I've seen plenty of messages and ghosts etc., but what about the actually co-op and competitive stuff?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2014, 09:39:56 am »

Well, I picked this up today. Fun stuff! Died plenty of times already.
I have a question though: How do the multiplayer bits work, exactly? I've seen plenty of messages and ghosts etc., but what about the actually co-op and competitive stuff?
If you joined the Covenant of Champions on the cliffside stone block, you cannot co-operate.  It doesn't tell you that before joining...

In the Forest of Fallen Giants, in the bonfire by the merchant, you should start to see summon signs, because the soapstones are dropped nearby.  The level range for summoning is the host's level +/- 10, then 10%.  So a level 100 player would get their range of 90-110, then the 10%, so 89-121 would be their total summon range.  DS2 also implements "Soul Memory" which is the total souls you've ever had fly into your counter through your entire game.  The range for memory is 25% - so if you had 1,000,000 memory, you could summon anyone between 750,000 and 1,250,000 memory.  The Name Engraved Ring and the Heirs of the Sun can expand this range.

These apply to invaders as well.  There was problem in DS1 of invaders never leveling up, so they'd run through the whole game at level 10, upgrade all the super boss weapons to max rating, and then sit in the first area invading people with super pyromancy and armor, against guys with daggers and leather shields.  So they added the "soul memory" to stop that from happening.  When you beat the game and do the second playthrough on New Game + the memory restriction doesn't apply anymore.

So cooperation is mostly about standing around bonfires or boss fogs and waiting for signs to appear - they tend to arrive in waves.  The networking mode seems to link semi-random players to each other, rotating about every 5 minutes.  Sometimes there will be no summon signs at all when all your connected players are off doing their own thing, and then the network will shift and it'll connect you to a dozen players who ALL have their signs down at the boss's fog.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:20 am »

So, I'll get to play this this weekend! Yay!

I heard they buffed magic, with items to recharge spell usage without going to the bonfire. If that's true, and the spells themselves haven't been nerfed to oblivion, I'm definitely playing sorcerer again for my first playthrough.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:39 am »

Ah, thanks.
If you die, drop your souls, and then die again before retrieving them, are they gone for good? :-X
I'm guessing levelling up is something I haven't gotten to yet, as well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2014, 11:48:03 am »

So, I'll get to play this this weekend! Yay!

I heard they buffed magic, with items to recharge spell usage without going to the bonfire. If that's true, and the spells themselves haven't been nerfed to oblivion, I'm definitely playing sorcerer again for my first playthrough.

Its true. You can also get a bunch of items to speed up casting speeds and they improved the homing on a lot spells. Sorcerers are pretty buff atm.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53