Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90699 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Forward, and to the right. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:19 pm »

Start with 1, since it will be cheaper. If you like it, carry on through to 2. Dark Souls is worth playing on its own.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:37 pm »

And by the time you're finished with DS1, if you don't spoil yourself, hopefully the price of 2 will have come down. From what I hear the DS1 PvP community is still numerous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 28, 2014, 10:39:14 pm »

You get a prize if you kill him with the hilt.

What got people was they were new to the game and weren't prepared for him, and they apparently can't read the instructions written on the ground in the middle of the boss room.
True, but you don't actually need to kill him with the hilt itself.  You also got the prize if you went for Black Firebombs for your starting gift and cream-cheesed the ever-loving daylights out of him, as long as you didn't run from the first battle. 

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:27 pm »

But I like the skeleton key =<

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:37 pm »

One thing that this game is just like Dark Souls on. I can't seem to find the drive to play it during the week when I'm doing the work thing. Knowing I don't have as much time as I need to beat bosses or explore and die a bunch puts a big dent in my VICTORY OR DEATH mentality. It's funny, there's almost no other game I play that I have to mentally commit to playing as much as Dark Souls. Where I can put an hour into Diablo 3 and mindlessly click around, I can't even bring myself to really try to play Dark Souls in that amount of time. Just for fun I tried to do the gargoyles right after I got home. Got about 1/3rd of them down after a handful of attempts. Pretty sure I can get them now instead of later but only if I can actually put the time in to seriously focus.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »

Souls are nowhere near being a limited resource.  There are a seemingly infinite amount of chumps who think they can just casually waltz into my belltower.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:45 am »

I still haven't figured out any sort of defense but rolling away. :y
Started out as a knight, but immediately found I quite literally couldn't use shields to save my life.
"Right-o, enemy is attacking; time to raise shield aaand... woops, now I'm facing backwards."

So now I'm duel-wielding swords and rolling my way around. I'm so bad at this. >_>;

And yet I'm actually progressing. And here I thought this game had a name for giving you stockholm syndrome within hours if you were awful at it... The co-op for bosses I find especially silly. "Can't beat a boss? Bring a pair of overpowered, kitted out folks with twice your level and let them kill it for you! Want to learn a boss fight? Phantom into someone else's game and die without worry! Want tons of free souls? Continue phantoming in and get both souls and a free cure of hollow by winning!" Unless I'm missing some earth-shattering fact (I probably am; first time playing a dark souls game and doing it pretty much blind), it seems weird to me how well I'm actually able to do despite doing basically everything wrong.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:51 am »

Souls are nowhere near being a limited resource.  There are a seemingly infinite amount of chumps who think they can just casually waltz into my belltower.
And, for the less murderous among us, you can join the Sunbros and get infinite souls from other people's worlds. Which I guess is still murder, actually.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 29, 2014, 12:26:25 am »

If you have the luxury of playing online.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 29, 2014, 12:28:06 am »

Or if you'd rather not have anyone else's soul muckin' up your universe.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 29, 2014, 01:21:37 am »

I still haven't figured out any sort of defense but rolling away. :y
Started out as a knight, but immediately found I quite literally couldn't use shields to save my life.
"Right-o, enemy is attacking; time to raise shield aaand... woops, now I'm facing backwards."

So now I'm duel-wielding swords and rolling my way around. I'm so bad at this. >_>;
Ah don't feel bad about it, I don't use a shield either. Never in DS1 and so far not in 2. The way I see it, shields are for cowards who feel the need to hide behind a piece of metal!  :P
I've always two handed my weapons so far. Not tried power stance yet, but I think I'd like it.

Mind you I still block sometimes. A weapon with a high block value helps with that, if you're in a situation you absolutely have to.

The co-op for bosses I find especially silly. "Can't beat a boss? Bring a pair of overpowered, kitted out folks with twice your level and let them kill it for you! Want to learn a boss fight? Phantom into someone else's game and die without worry!
Yeah that's why I pretty much play dark souls offline exclusively. Online play trivializes the game to much, while its nail biting difficulty is, for me at least, its charm. That, and balance is never to great for interesting pvp, imo.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:20 am »

I'm fairly sure you have internet access.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 29, 2014, 02:02:33 am »

I don't have xbox live, though, and I'm below the framerate requirement for online play on PC.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:19 am »

Well, if there's nothing to buy, I jsut level up with the Souls. *shrug* I'm pretty sure i've wasted upwards 30k Souls allready as well, but just like in DS1, it's not a limited ressource.

Even IF you manage to kill absolutely everything in every level you go to, and hit a point where you're stuck (Sentinels, Iron Keep, Gutter), there are bonfire effigies. And even after that, you can allways put your White Soapstone down and help someone with a Boss, which spawns you as a human afterwards, gives a ton of souls depending on the Boss and also gives other cool rewards, depending on the Covenant. Apart from that, there's also PvP of course.

I also want to point out, Shields DO feel like they're really really op sometimes. I'm playing a Swordsman, and my only Defense is dodging. Against Bosses like the Smelter Demon, or stuff like the Sentinels, this means that usually even one hit will be your undoing, depending on how trigger-happy the Boss/es are after they've hit you, and you pull your Estus.

You will probably laugh, but playing this Character has actually RUINED shields for me. :D On my twink, I got so annoyed that I did so little Damage, that I started Dual Wielding my Big Weapon right away. I cleared Heide and the Forest with exactly one death (The summoned Dude at the Pursuer shot me by accident, Ballistas do hurt.). The only time I really used the shield was against the mace-wielding Giant, because I still cant get that guys pattern down right. This isnt meant to boast, I just want to emphasize how much you as a player improve, and how much easier the game gets with that. Dead Man's WHarf still kicked my ass tough, quite a few times.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:09 am »

Yeah that's why I pretty much play dark souls offline exclusively. Online play trivializes the game to much, while its nail biting difficulty is, for me at least, its charm. That, and balance is never to great for interesting pvp, imo.

Ditto. I do it for two reasons. #1, I want to own every boss kill and you do learn when you can only rely on yourself.
And #2, I hate being bothered by invasions. When I'm playing DS, I'm doing it with a goal in mind and invasions, help summons, ect... are an irritating and sometimes costly distraction.

bonfire effigies

If I'm reading this right, that ONLY respawns enemies in the area of the bonfire you used it at, AND it jacks the difficulty up an entire level. So if you use it in a new game, everything respawned is at NG+ difficulty. If you use it on NG+, respawned enemies are at NG++ difficulty, and on.

So not really a viable way of getting more souls IMO.

Re: Shields. I don't deny it's the easiest way to play the game. But I know I don't really have patience for melee with no shield that will get 1-shot by every boss. Gargoyles? Enjoy doing that with no shield and no ranged spells. That said, I think shields are stronger now than they were in DS1. I regularly used to have guys smash through my shield block there, but it seems to be much more uncommon in DS2.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53