Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90698 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Forward, and to the right. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2014, 02:35:13 pm »

Problem is, to have "enough att and int" to do that, you'd have to be massively over-leveled when you face them. I've got 35 att and soul spear barrage only has 3 shots.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »

Two or three shots with SSB is enough. You drop onto the initial platform, roll past its first swing, stunlock with the three shots of SSB, fire a few GHSAs once that's out, bam, you have one dead sentinel.

Past that I found it to be pretty much touch and go as a sorcerer, since 2v1 when the two are relatively mobile melee opponents is a Not Fun matchup.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 28, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

Precisely. You blow all your shots on the first one, then you get screwed trying to soul arrow the other 2. I think it would be a much more interesting fight if you could get back up on the platform somehow, leading to interesting tactics and getting hammerjumped for screwing it up.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »

Speaking of magics, well this may sound silly but...how do you unattune a spell?

I've looked all over for any information on how to do it. I'm trying to attune a spell that'll take up two slots but can't for the life of me remove the spells I want to make room. I've tried literally every key I've bound, to no avail. This is so silly.  :-[

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 28, 2014, 03:25:36 pm »

On an xbox controller, it would be X over the slot. Maybe it's a button you can click at the bottom of the menu?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 28, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »

Yeah, just go attune at the bonfire and when your cursor is over the slot in question, hit X.

Or you can just assign another spell to that slot to overwrite it.

I'm actually looking forward to my caster playthrough a lot. I'm so used to having a shield, and negating 90% of all threats with it, I'm wondering if I've got the stones for a caster playthrough. Everyone seemed to make casters out to be EZ mode in Dark Souls. But some of the fights in DS2 seem arranged specifically to take away casters' room to maneuver and avoid.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 28, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

Casters weren't really OP in Dark Souls PvE. They could usually do boss fights faster, but they really are glass cannons. O&S in particular had a knack for dodging spells, too.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »

Mhm no x is showing up as show spell info in the attunement window. I wish I could just assign another spell in the same slot, but these two slot spells won't have it, very annoying.

I think I figured it out. Something with mouse input messing up the window. Gah did no one test this stuff for bugs.  :(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:13:35 pm by Jelle »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2014, 05:30:03 pm »

The Asylum Demon was a wtf-moment because it hit you so early. I mean, he's laughably easy once you get close too, it's the initial shock that makes it memorable. (That, and the fact that some people try to kill him with the hilt, lol.)

Some of us managed to kill him with the hilt.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2014, 05:49:43 pm »

You get a prize if you kill him with the hilt.

What got people was they were new to the game and weren't prepared for him, and they apparently can't read the instructions written on the ground in the middle of the boss room.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 28, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »

What made the Asylum Demon hard for me, iirc, was his aoe.

Come to think of it, aoes are really the thing that made DS so tough for me period. It's not that I didn't get what to do. It's that what to do was often elusive. Like the Wyverns breath attack. I only beat that guy because I learned the AoE basically consisted of three circles laid on top of each other. In the center circle? Dead. In the outer circle? Dead. In the middle circle? Ok, NOW you can block and not just be instantly incinerated. I recall a few other boss fights that were like that.

There seems to be less trickery here that I've seen so far. Fewer attacks in a sequence that will simply wreck your shit, stamina total and shield be damned. In Dark Souls I constantly felt undergerared, even wearing Stone Knight armor. Damage mitigation was for shit, shields seemed to be the only thing keeping you alive and even then one good hit to your shield was enough to force you to evade the next attack.

By contrast, I've almost felt overgeared in DS2 at times, in what is probably less than ideal armor. My weapon has hit and continues to hit like a freight train, my shield (which I just moved to an even better one) can take 2 or more hits sometimes with barely a dent in my stamina. Again, how much of this is true, and how much is just blood-tinted Dark Souls memories, I dunno. But Sentinels was the first fight where I had a "can I do this moment?" before I objectively stood back and said "Yes you can, you rack disciprine." In Dark Souls, I felt nowhere near that level of confidence.

Then again, I'm already grossly over-leveled, mostly because I'm still stuck with the basic traders in Majula who I've long since bought out all their wares. This is why extinction has started to become a tension underlying gameplay for me. Now that I see all mobs between me and a boss as a number of spawns and a total amount of possible souls, losing souls in a boss room or to a stupid death is kind of scary. I've been totalling up in my head how many souls I've lost and it's close to 50k. Probably more. Considering my soul count is only 450k, that's a large chunk of souls I'll just never get back. Now my style is, when I hit a mist door, I begin clearing all the mobs between it and the door way until they go extinct. Otherwise, I'm just wasting souls on boss attempts. Which is why I'm damn near SL70 with probably half? the game to go. Without the ability to buy Titanite Shards and level up my gear, there's nothing to do with it but level. I've already bought up most of the miracles and cleaned the vendors out of the all the consumable items I want.

If it weren't for the Ring of Binding, I think the entire game would take on a much more agonizing tone, and be a lot more RAEG-inducing, a lot closer to what was expected when the new mechanics were announced. Basically I do all my exploring and learning hollow, and my boss fighting human. It's just more sensible when Human Effigies are still a finite resource. I guess I should also mention I've been playing offline the whole time, which works out pretty well other than not getting humanity back for summoning. Although reading over the covenants, offline sounds the way to go for some things. Who the hell wants to put up with the Grave of Saints with all that BS going on when you just want to clear it.

You get a prize if you kill him with the hilt.

What got people was they were new to the game and weren't prepared for him, and they apparently can't read the instructions written on the ground in the middle of the boss room.

You say that like a) Asylum Demon for someone completely new to the series doesn't dominate your attention and b) that reading stuff on the ground during a boss fight is in any way a reasonable thought to have until you've died a few times.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:55:22 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2014, 05:59:33 pm »

I only moved out of the way because my first play session in DS was with the friend who introduced me to the game.

And yeah, I had the over leveling problem in DS 1, but the lack of worthwhile stuff to buy exacerbates it in this. "Well, I got all these souls from exploring. I don't want to loose them, better invest them in something, but those stores only got stuff I don't need." Though in Dark Souls, it was "Those stores are too far away and I don't want to die."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:50 pm »

I only moved out of the way because my first play session in DS was with the friend who introduced me to the game.

And yeah, I had the over leveling problem in DS 1, but the lack of worthwhile stuff to buy exacerbates it in this. "Well, I got all these souls from exploring. I don't want to loose them, better invest them in something, but those stores only got stuff I don't need." Though in Dark Souls, it was "Those stores are too far away and I don't want to die."

All I know is Saltfort is where you get to trade all these freakin' boss souls in for something. I can only hope whatever area I'm currently dying in is the one closest to it. Gotta say, I've been tempted to go full spoilers just to find a way to spend my souls. The waypoints, while useful, have increased the RPG inflation problem in Dark Souls 2. Player has bloat, continues to bloat further while they figure out what to do, can't spend it because they're not at the part of the story where they can. Waypoints make it easy to farm and retain souls since the risk of losing them in transit has largely been mitigated. While also, conversely, every soul is now precious since they're a limited resource.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:23:45 pm by nenjin »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:56 pm »

so i never played ds1, and i have no idea what this game is about.
i like sword games tho. i loved die by  the sword and gothic, but i never realy enjoyed the elder scrolls games.

you think i should get ds2?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2014, 07:16:27 pm »

you should get ds2, but also ds1, cause it's a great game!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53