Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 53

Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 - PC Controls are the final boss. HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.  (Read 90650 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 - Ermahgerd it's out! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS.
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2014, 02:01:07 pm »

So theoretically, you could spend all your souls on items and get matched to SL100 people? Or even worse, loose enough souls to death that you get matched to people higher level than you?

theoretically, yes, however, you have to take into consideration just how long it takes to become really good at the game, and how long you have to play to be matched with high leveled players. theres always the possibility of smurfing. And its all about the play style and the mindset, i've beaten all the souls games and i cant into pvp, the only pvp i've won was against a rat ring, oddly enough
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »

it's fun and all but I rally dislike how the enemies stop spawning and the merchants only seem to sell a finite number of each item. I loved switching around between various equipment to keep it interesting in the first game, but now it really seems like a bad idea since the titanite shards ran out very quickly.I also can't seem to play co-op with a friend who is just a few levels (5-8 or something similar) ahead of me.
Note that the amount of stuff merchants sell increases as you progress in the game, most consumables and shards and stuff will end up being sold in infinite amounts by the end of the game.
Also, matchmaking isn't based on SL anymore, its soul memory so your friend likely has just earned more/less souls than you.
Hurrah for quick help!
Good to know things will be more available later, maybe I don't need to be as careful planning what to use it on. I still find it weird that enemie stop spawning though, not that I've had a particular problem with it yet, but I can see it happening and an open world without anyone in it would be kind of dead and boring.

So basically looking around for loot and killing some random things while the other player isn't will make you unable to play together? Keeping levels close was sometimes enough of a problem for us in the first game as I couldn't play as often. Looks like we'll either have to skip playing together or make more characters. That's really unfortunate as I was really looking forward to it.  :-\
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2014, 02:24:57 pm »

So, anyone got an idea how to fix invisible magic/bloodstains/item pickups?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »

So after a good 15 hours....

I can safely say I like the game.

I can see why some veterans are saying it's an easier game. It feels easier, although maybe that's only true for people that played DS1. Having to not learn all the lessons from DS1 over again has certainly made it feel easier.

But there's a lot of good usability tweaks, even if they come with downsides.
-Repairing happens when you hit a bonfire. The trade off is, almost all weapons deteriorate faster.
-Hollowing isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Maybe it accelerates later in game, but it takes more than 10 deaths to hit less than 75% health. Ring of Binding means that's the lowest it will go. (Which is why you do Heide's as soon as you're able.)
-Waypoints make the game soooooooooooo much faster to play.
-There are way more healing options early game. Using lifegems still feels a bit like cheating.
-Extinction is not as bad as described. Maybe, again, it happens faster in later game areas. But right now it appears only a select number of enemies goes extinct. So as long as you only explore to the degree you've seen everything, instead of repeatedly full clearing as you go, there remains quite a few guys to kill. As an example, the 2nd mob in Heide's went extinct after only 5 or so kills. Yet the guy in front of him continued on for at least another 20. On the one hand, yes, less farming. But on the other, it makes getting through areas faster and eventually easier. For someone who basically quit playing Dark Souls because they couldn't stomach doing several hard mobs before an incredibly hard boss fight, this is kind of a blessing. I may not be saying that later when I've hit a wall and there's little I can go back to fight.
-Smithing and reinforcement seems to have been streamlined.
-Character models look so much better than the previous games. I love love love the slow transformation from your character to a moldering corpse.
-I don't feel nearly so penalized for being hollow in Dark Souls 2. In DS1, I basically forsook all the benefits of humanity because I was dying so often and didn't want to constantly grind for more humanity just to lose it again. In DS2, I'm still hollow the majority of the time to some degree. But you're not being penalized in 5 different places like you were in DS1.

Other things:

-Good gear seems to come at you way sooner. It was a while in DS1 before I was sporting Elite Knight armor, and yet it was one of the first purchase I made as soon as it became available in Majula.
-I've done a lot of enemy cheesing in DS2 to date. Whereas I only did it to a select few mobs in DS1, I've killed like 3 big guys at this point just using my shortbow and exploiting their tethers. Occasionally I feel bad about it, before I remember what game I'm playing.
-There are indeed not a lot of weapons with a good Heavy --> combo. That has screwed me on several occasions, as the delay between the heavy swing and the light is quite noticable with some weapons.
-I too miss Kick. I've gotta a Shield Break off once on a guy, but it is nearly impossible for me to hit the timing marks consistently.
-Parrying generally seems more forgiving than it was. In a lot of cases I still take the damage even though the parry goes off.
-Some of the early bosses are a complete joke compared to the first thing they threw at you in Dark Souls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-I'll probably play this offline mostly. Just seems the way to do things for a first playthrough. Other than covenants and summons, I can't see a benefit for being online. And at least I can build my character exactly how I want without having to worry about getting slapped around by griefers at SL100.
-I think...aesthetically while DS2 is much prettier, I'm liking the area designs less. Dark Souls never really bothered to explain why things are themed the way they are or why they fit together, and neither does DS2. But the areas in DS2 somehow feel arbitrary. There's no sense of unity in the levels like Upper Burg --> Lower Burg --> Blight Town, or how Darkroot Gardens and Basin and the Waterfall all went together, sitting at the foot of the Burg. Put another way, playing DS I could almost visualize how the city would have been put together. In DS2, things are impossibly put next to each other it seems like. One minute I'm on the coast in a giant pillared holy district ala Anor Londo, the next I'm several miles underground in a cave. One minute I'm in a forest, the next I'm in a huge fortress that you only barely knew was there. Teleporting everywhere probably doesn't help forge any of those mental links either.
-Torches seem poorly implemented. I haven't used them much, but their design seems confusingly based around lighting the torch at very specific points. I'm sure it will come into play more later on, but right now they seem more like a gimmick than some fundamental or useful part of gameplay. Put another way, when your character emits light in all areas except where they're explicitly not allowed to, torches have little point.

All in all, I think this is definitely a more approachable game than the previous one (as far as any Dark Souls game is approachable.) I haven't yet encountered an enemy that makes me go "How am I going to beat this?" The Pursuer is the closest I've gotten, but even then I can see how he can be beaten, with the right gear. No doubt there's another incarnation of Fat Ass & Jerk Wad in the game somewhere. But I've already made way more progress in my first 12 hours in DS2 than I ever did in DS1.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:12:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2014, 03:29:41 pm »

7 hours into DS2 on this first playthrough, I had 3 bosses dead. I didn't get to the Bell Gargoyles in DS1 on my first go until I was about 20 hours in. Yes, I know, I'm a cazul nub who deserves to die IRL for sucking at dark souls on the first playthrough.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2014, 03:45:51 pm »

7 hours into DS2 on this first playthrough, I had 3 bosses dead. I didn't get to the Bell Gargoyles in DS1 on my first go until I was about 20 hours in. Yes, I know, I'm a cazul nub who deserves to die IRL for sucking at dark souls on the first playthrough.

Same here, thereabouts. I wouldn't overlook the value in having the Dark Souls mindset going into this game though. At least half of everyone's first playthrough and getting to the bell is reordering your thinking about how to play the game, learning what level of focus the game requires, learning how From does puzzles, hidden objects, the language of their level design, ect.....

So I'm a lot less patient, and ponderous, now. For example, the:

I guess it's worth noting too, I'm being actually letting myself read wikis in regard to specific topics now. I played DS1 completely blind for probably the first 20 hours, and still refused to read up on most things. Here, when I see something that's obviously strange or out of place, I check the wiki and either do it or don't. Has made for a much faster game.

Also, don't discount how much those waypoints have made the game drastically faster to play. I'd wager half of my first 20 hours in DS1 was simply spent running back and forth between areas.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:48:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2014, 05:17:03 pm »

Dark Soul 2 easier? Tell that to this persuer guy, makes fighting artorias look like childs play. Seriously how the hell am I supposed to fight this thing in such a cramped space.

Guilty as charged I will admit.  8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:21:34 pm by Jelle »

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

Why are Smelter Demon helmets and Vengarl's Helm so common? I get summoned often and they're usually wearing one or the other.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:45:48 pm by Lukewarm »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »

Well, as a DS1 player, I went back and killed the Cyclopes as soon as I had the Zweihander and could crush the heck out of them.
As that is how I handled most things in DS1.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2014, 05:54:36 pm »

The Pursuer? Harder than Artorias? Wat?

The space isn't that cramped. Just try to bait the charge attack as often as you can, roll past him then smack him. If you position him right when he uses it at the start of the fight, you can actually hit him with one of the ballistas up there, and then he should only take one more hit, but if you don't have the position down then he'll probably break the ballistas.

With patience, though, he's not too hard to beat, just gotta wait for that charge attack.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2014, 07:29:09 pm »

Why are Smelter Demon helmets and Vengarl's Helm so common? I get summoned often and they're usually wearing one or the other.
Because they're hilarious, and actually give armor stats.  The Jester hat is also hilarious, but papery and weak.

Came across a guy wearing full smelter demon + smelter demon sword.  He was a chill bro.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 26, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »

So, does anybody know what might be causing magic effects, the green glow above bloodstains, and the white glow over items to not appear?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »

So, does anybody know what might be causing magic effects, the green glow above bloodstains, and the white glow over items to not appear?
Didn't you say before that you're using a laptop where you had to tone down the effects?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 26, 2014, 09:29:46 pm »

Yeah, but I turned them up to max (Only making it slightly more laggy) and they still don't show up. Item and bloodstain glow not showing up is a pretty major problem for playing this game.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »

The Pursuer? Harder than Artorias? Wat?

The space isn't that cramped. Just try to bait the charge attack as often as you can, roll past him then smack him. If you position him right when he uses it at the start of the fight, you can actually hit him with one of the ballistas up there, and then he should only take one more hit, but if you don't have the position down then he'll probably break the ballistas.

With patience, though, he's not too hard to beat, just gotta wait for that charge attack.

see, people told me about the ballista, and he always kills me before i can bait him just right. all you have to do, like with most of the bosses, is circle strafe them. if they have two arms and two legs, they can be circle strafed. i recommend counter clockwise on the pursuer
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 53