Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding missing miners....  (Read 1253 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Regarding missing miners....
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:09:44 am »

Ok (1)my first miner went missing in the caverns while trying to remove some ramps, probably got stranded and then dehydrated.
(2)my second miner had a temporary woodcutting job and just disappeared, looking at the time, winter had just arrived so all the murky pools just froze. I'm assuming that's where he disappeared but 2 years got over and no body yet. What do you all think happened to him? (He was last seen outdoors chopping a few trees that's all).
So the best solution i came up was to assign war dogs to all my 10 miners, well already lost 2. What do you think of the idea? Suppose a dwarf gets stranded like in the first situation (1) but with a pet companion what will happen? Will he dehydrate and die infront of the pet and i don't get a missing announcement or what?? I would like to know what everyone else does when one of their dwarves go missing....

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Regarding missing miners....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:59 am »

If something is in the water when it freezes, and then thaws, there's nothing left behund. It's just annihilated by the freezing process.

Dwarf physics is weird.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:10 am »

Helps to be careful near winter..and also designate the future iceways (and current) as low or restricted (mostly restricted) then give them also other ways to cross like sticking some bridge(s) in (lever it (them) later to areadeny in nonwinter.)

Could also undesignate EVERYTHING that would make them cross before winter thats not worth losing them for.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:31 am »

If something is in the water when it freezes, and then thaws, there's nothing left behund. It's just annihilated by the freezing process.

Dwarf physics is weird.
This is incorrect, when something gets frozen and that tile thaws, most if not all items/corpses will back in the water.
The ice doesn't destroy them.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:11:50 am »

Huh.

Well, it used to.

I think. I could just be hallucinating vividly and/or imagining events that didn't happen.

<grin>

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:37 am »

well i didn't find any remains of that fellow who disappeared near the murky pool
and I did restrict all pools after this incident
What about a stranded miner who has a dog for company? what announcement will I get when i dies from dehydration?Will he go missing or will the dog who is stuck with him detect his body??

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:25 am »

I am pretty sure the dog will report his death.

Animals can scout hidden tiles for you so I don't see why wouldn't report a dead dwarf.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

If your bookkeeper has stocks fully updated, you can use the stocks menu to locate the missing corpses. Assuming their corpses exist.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:08:28 pm »

Huh.

Well, it used to.

I think. I could just be hallucinating vividly and/or imagining events that didn't happen.

<grin>
I haven't had a dwarf encased in ice since 0.31.18, but back then you could recover the useful equipment body by digging out the ice, but only if you did so before it thawed.  When it thawed, everything encased was gone.  I have not had the opportunity to recover any items dwarves from ice entombment since 0.34 came out, so I don't know if it still destroys them or not.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »

Well, it used to.
Freezing used to destroy everything back in 40d, but was changed sometime during DF2010 or 2012 (or potentially fixed, since I know in the 2D versions you could recover items from cave-ins). IIRC in the current version things frozen in ice will be recovered when the ice melts or is dug out, regardless of what causes the melting.

Also now items can also be entombed in obsidian and then recovered by mining out the tile (though the chance of a non-magma-safe item surviving the process is dependent upon how long it was exposed to the magma prior to being obsidianized.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 10:37:01 pm »

That's neat!

I've been dumping my corpses and refuse into a deep shaft straight into the magma sea, so I've had ample opportunity to watch different items melt. It's kinda neat how some things stick around a lot longer than others.

I'm glad that we can get stuff out of ice now, though I have never messed around with ice in any of my forts.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 08:19:16 am »

Well, it used to.
Freezing used to destroy everything back in 40d, but was changed sometime during DF2010 or 2012 (or potentially fixed, since I know in the 2D versions you could recover items from cave-ins). IIRC in the current version things frozen in ice will be recovered when the ice melts or is dug out, regardless of what causes the melting.
Thanks a lot, so your saying that his body should be there though i had given up 7 years ago, let me again sent out a search party again!
If your bookkeeper has stocks fully updated, you can use the stocks menu to locate the missing corpses. Assuming their corpses exist.
Thanks ill try this method.
So i better begin my quest to find his body atleast and give him a proper burial, Im tired of reading his memorial in graveyard and lamenting about him. Now all my miners have pet war dogs lest they get lost again.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:47 am »

Well, it used to.
Thanks a lot, so your saying that his body should be there though i had given up 7 years ago, let me again sent out a search party again!
If the ice has thawed and it still works like in 0.31 then the items will be gone.  I know this from personal experience, as I lost three miners to ice, but only managed to recover two before things melted. The third was searched for after the melt but all the items were gone.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »

So I just checked it with a test. Here's the results:
1)Items in ice can be dug out and retrieved.
2)Items in ice after it melts act very similar to those that are "pushed" by water in the sense that they are invisible, but if you ever reach the tile (either by digging it out after it freezes or by draining the river) dwarves can walk over to the tile and pull them out of the nothingness.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 01:55:03 pm »

So I just checked it with a test. Here's the results:
1)Items in ice can be dug out and retrieved.
2)Items in ice after it melts act very similar to those that are "pushed" by water in the sense that they are invisible, but if you ever reach the tile (either by digging it out after it freezes or by draining the river) dwarves can walk over to the tile and pull them out of the nothingness.

Nice research I must say, have to see that for myself and find that dwarf