Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)  (Read 33348 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom designs! Everywhere! (Post 'em here)
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

I used to be more creative, but lately for my normal dwarves, I've just got this queued up to a macro, which auto-repeats 5-times down. I like it because I can just Manager up x28 Doors, Cabinets, Chests, and Beds.

(The red is a central UpDown stair column)
considering improving the design so the hallways are at least 2 tiles wide, 1 tile wide hallways for 6 bedrooms slow down the flow of your fort as dwarves often get sleepy at the same time.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:52 pm »

My fortresses generally have relatively very unefficient bedrooms, but they are very nice bedrooms regardless.

Wherever I can find the space, I tend to build a two tile wide hallways with 3x3 rooms parallel on each side. These bedrooms are generally scattered about the fortress proper, and are occasionally converted into workshops, as I enjoy having tiny rooms for each workshop I own, as opposed one massive workshop area.

The kitchen and the still can be expected not to be far from the bedrooms.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »

I've made a lot of fortresses, and the bedroom is the most tedious and annoying part. So here's what I do:

╔═══════════╗
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ++++++++
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╠═╬═══+═══╬═╣
║SθÆΠ+++ΠÆθS║
╚═══════════╝

Long rows of this. Here's why:

• Easy to designate. The two facing rooms are one shift-arrow distance.
  • Beds are placed such that the default room size is exactly the size of the room. Just r+enter to create the room, no door necessary.
  • Room for statues behind the bed where they don't get in the way. (They don't actually all get statues unless I'm really doing well.)
  • Fortifications between all the beds increase the chance of vampire sightings.
Generally, the dining room is in between two rows of these.

Traffic in bedrooms is light enough that the hallway pinch points don't slow anybody down, and they can generally duck into a bedroom to get out of the way anyway.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:18:38 pm by doublestrafe »

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

Haven't got a pic handy, but I abhor one-tile wide hallways anywhere in my fort except sewers or maintenance tunnels. We all know that the real-life "size" of a given tile is basically undefined but I tend to imagine them as dwarf sized, so all of my main thouroughfares are at LEAST three wide, more often five, and sometimes even wider.

Efficiency suffers, but efficiency be damned, I want grandeur and splendor, not efficiency!

Moral of the story, all of these pictures I see of hallways one-wide? I cringe a little inside every time. But they're obviously not my forts amd aesthetics are extremely subjective :p
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »

i use vertical hallways instead of lateral so i dont have to think about layouts, with a spacing of four it also happens to leave exactly enough space for 2x2 bedrooms without shared walls in case i ever feel like engraving, and eliminates the need for doors

i don't really care if it's efficient or looks good; it makes it super easy to designate - i use one hotkey to designate a line of rooms for digging, one for ordering beds placed, and one for making beds into rooms, so i'm not sitting there for twenty minutes hitting the same three keys ten thousand times

i can fit all 200 dwarves on one z level on a small fort with room left over for nobles, dining room and crypts, but it can of course be expanded cubically instead of just rectangularly

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »

Haven't got a pic handy, but I abhor one-tile wide hallways anywhere in my fort except sewers or maintenance tunnels. We all know that the real-life "size" of a given tile is basically undefined but I tend to imagine them as dwarf sized, so all of my main thouroughfares are at LEAST three wide, more often five, and sometimes even wider.

Efficiency suffers, but efficiency be damned, I want grandeur and splendor, not efficiency!

Moral of the story, all of these pictures I see of hallways one-wide? I cringe a little inside every time. But they're obviously not my forts amd aesthetics are extremely subjective :p

Wider hallway = FPS hit. To reduce that, put VERY frequent statues in the middle. Just provide 2-3 wide passageways through the statues once in a while. This way, you have dwarves admiring A moose being struck down by a Giant Tick. The Moose is making a plaintive gesture. The moose is surrounded by elves. The elves are laughing. significant historical events and figures
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

Why does a wider hallway cause an FPS hit? Does it offer more choices of path to search through or something?
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 07:39:01 pm »

Why does a wider hallway cause an FPS hit? Does it offer more choices of path to search through or something?

Sort of, but the wide hallway problem goes away if you paint the hallway with a HIGH traffic zone.

I cringe when I see fractal spiral bedroom designs, because those really kill FPS. The pathfinding code (A*) always checks first for a straight line path. The most efficient fort is where all major destinations are directly connected by straight tunnels, with no misleading dead ends.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 09:42:09 pm »

I've always suspected that step-efficiency for dwarves was inversely proportional to FPS-efficiency for the fort.

This seems to bear that out.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:55 pm »

Here's mine. Normal dwarves get 1x4 rooms, and nobles get 3x3s. At the corners every time you expand you have the option of making a noble room, or 2 normal rooms. I made normal rooms on the outside and 4 noble rooms on the inside in this pic.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:27 pm »

Designate only the middle tiles as high traffic for three wide tile hallways. That way when a dorf bumps into another, one can go around to the left or right.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »

hi guys, i've noticed some ppl say hallways cause a fps drop. what if all your hallways are 2 tiles wide? how would you traffic designate that to increase fps?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 09:35:25 pm »

hi guys, i've noticed some ppl say hallways cause a fps drop. what if all your hallways are 2 tiles wide? how would you traffic designate that to increase fps?

You'd designate one side or the other as high traffic and the opposite one as low.

The high traffic hallway would be the main path and the low one would be used as overflow for when dwarves would bump into each other.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »

Wider hallway = FPS hit. To reduce that, put VERY frequent statues in the middle. Just provide 2-3 wide passageways through the statues once in a while. This way, you have dwarves admiring A moose being struck down by a Giant Tick. The Moose is making a plaintive gesture. The moose is surrounded by elves. The elves are laughing. significant historical events and figures

That still doesn't solve the problem of offending my extremely delicate aesthetic sensibilities.  Now instead of one tiny cramped little tunnel the dwarves are crawling over each other to get through, you've got two tiny little cramped tunnels with an obnoxious statue of some random elf taming bobcats x35 in between them.

Nay, nay I say, I must have vast sprawling citadels, where the hallways alone could fit an entire smaller fort in them, bedecked in marble and dripping with gems, gold, platinum, exotic pets, and all manner of finery.  My dwarves live like kings.  No muddy hole in the ground for my dwarves, leave those for the kobolds I say!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2013, 12:00:37 am »

I usually go along the outer edge of the hallway if rooms are on one side, or if they fractal. It seems to streamline the process, and makes use of the outer edge of them while at it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7