Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So how does Dwarven "JUSTICE" work?  (Read 1504 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
So how does Dwarven "JUSTICE" work?
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »

Three violations of productions orders. One Dwarf gets sentenced to nothing. Another gets sentenced to 76 days prison. Another gets 4 hammerstrikes, a certain death sentence.

What determines a Dwarf's sentence? Is there any way to circumvent the law, preferably without disbanding the Fortress guard or the Hammerer?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: So how does Dwarven "JUSTICE" work?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »

no jail and vampire fort guard sealed in 1x1 rooms? 'Disband' the nobles? Captain of the guard assigned to dwarf who is in perma-traction? I don't know, but I'm sure bored of this stupid job.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:36:04 pm »

Make sure the Hammerer has a hammer made of a wonderously lightweight material? Break the hands of everyone in the fortress guard? Pour magma into the noble's rooms?

I'm not sure what determines the sentence, though. Maybe the rank of the noble who made the mandate? Or possibly the happiness of the noble(happy means more lenient punishments, but three violations would certainly piss them off)?

Sounds like a Science project.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:14:59 pm »

When you have Fortress Guard full of unarmed wrestlers, will the beating take form of punches?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »

If you don't have any chains designated for justice use, then dwarves will never be sentenced to receive Hammerstrikes.

If you don't have any cages or chains designated for justice use, then dwarves will always be given Beatings.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:58 am »

Basically, it doesn't.

Eschew all forms of justice forever. MAYBE give the king a royal guard (assuming you don't just give him a magma bath on arrival), and in that case I'd set up like, fifteen anti-deathsentence prevention mechanism thingies, but that's it. Justice does two things. One, it has like, a 1% chance of actually letting you know there's a vampire (and you'll get the Urist McSucker has been drained of blood message way before that), and two, it causes your legendary glassworker to get murderized by a cranky noble fuck. One thing of note is that beatings are the thing that happens--nobody gets hammered unless the crime actually carries a death sentence, and people usually prefer to give "beatings" with fists (from my experience) instead of weapons, even if they have featherwood crossbows.

As for how the game decides who, when, and how justice happens? No clue. It has a mind of its own. I do know that if you decide to eschew justice, and then later implement it, all the crimes that happened but went unpunished will get saved up in the logs, and once you have someone who can administer Dwarven Justice, all the crimes on the log will get dealt with in the appropriate manner. And it'll probably be with fist-beatings, since I believe "get a weapon" is overwritten by "deliver beating" jobs.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:34:49 am »

nobody gets hammered unless the crime actually carries a death sentence, and people usually prefer to give "beatings" with fists (from my experience) instead of weapons, even if they have featherwood crossbows.
My mayor sentenced a legendary clothier to four hammerstrikes for violation of a production order. Seems that it is entirely up to the whim of unhinged nobledwarves.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:43:02 am »

My current fort has had exactly one Justice event, and it actually worked out pretty well.

After a vampire immigrant killed a dwarf, I was able to figure out who it was and convict them.

They got a beating.

They've been in the hospital ever since, with permanantly broken floating ribs.

Hilariously enough, the vampire has had nothing to do in the hospital since, but socialize.

He's now Mayor.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:40:33 am »

I don't know if this applies to everyone, but my fortress guard became less deadly once they recieved (bad) weapons, as they used to just strangle criminals to death.
(when I say criminals, I mean my legendary armorsmith/weaponsmith. Grr)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:47:04 am by Mortis »
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:00:15 am »

The effectiveness and dangers of dwarven justice have a lot more to do with punching skulls through brains than the actual justice system itself.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 11:16:26 am »

An adamantine hammer and an unskilled hammerer tend help things, albeit it's a bit of a waste of adamantine.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »

Assign a dwarf with no arms and a broken lower spine to be hammerer. He'll just sort of flop around until the convicted comes nearby.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 07:21:22 pm »

I repeat, having a useless hammerer only helps if the finnicky justice system orders a hammering in the first place--which only happens when they sentence someone to death, for committing a death penalty worthy crime. It won't stop generic Beatings. Which are far worse, since these ACTUALLY cause death.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread