Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well. I'm brand new. Bet you can guess what this topic  (Read 1187 times)

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well. I'm brand new. Bet you can guess what this topic
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

If you couldn't, the answer is "questions." I'll not waste time with any further elaboration.

1.) Why does my injured dwarf insist on trying to get water for himself? I have plenty with health care enabled and nothing to do.

2.) I don't get how the manager works. At all. The tasks it lists at j->m are completely useless to me right now, with no gems to cut and no specific items to make. What I want to be able to change is the stuff on the j menu, but I can't seem to do that. Is there a way to make the priority for making my Farmer's workshop greater than that of hauling stone?

3.) On that note, I read that having a mason constantly making stone blocks gets rid of stone pretty fast. Why is that not happening? D: The workshop isn't even gray-CLT.

4.) When do fey moods start? They sound awesome.

5.) Why is it so hard to get my leader to talk to the liason even when I've disabled -everything- on him?

6.) My current fortress set up is something like Surface-F1-utility floor-utility floor-F2-utility floor-utility floor-F3 etc, my reasoning being that way I can let water and stuff run where ever on any of the upper utility floors and still do whatever floorplan I want on the normal floors, without worrying about damp rocks. Is this a good idea? I get the feeling that right now, it seems like I have miles to go, down-wise, but I think maybe it's a lot less than it seems.

7.) Anything I should be warned of? This is the first fortress I've got going stable-ish-ly, my previous ones crumbling into dehydration or starvation in a really short time.

8.) Added via edit: What the hell's save"scum"? I'm assuming a way to manipulate saves, but...?

In conclusion: Hello, I'm new. Sup guys?

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Loki ]

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Well. I'm brand new. Bet you can guess what this topic
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

1) Haha! No idea, maybe he's not injured enough. If he's not causing any problems, I say just let him be.

2) Err... the manager menu is accessed via "u", "m". I'm not particularly sure what menu you are referring to (is it the tasks pane?) You can't change priorities though.

3) Your mason isn't high enough skill. And the word "fast" is relative. I can also say that making stone crafts clears stone really "fast" and having someone shoot a catapult at a wall clears stone "fast". Fast in this game usually isn't very fast at all.

4) Just play a little longer and you'll see it.

5) Again, it's relative. People keep saying they have problems (because they are impatient little arses) with meetings and trading, but you just need to give it time. The liason isn't going to run away and it'll take years before he starves.

6) It's up to you how you want to build a fortress. If you think it's a good idea, then go for it. I seriously doubt you're going to run out of space though.

7) I'm not going to say anything that might spoil the experience, be it hidden or not so much. There's definitely some heartless person who will, but I'll let him be. Just play and don't worry so much. You'll find it much more entertaining when something totally unexpected happens. Remember, "losing is fun".

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

I'm still suspicious of the losing being fun deal, but thanks for the answers.

New one just came up, though: Quarry bushes are showing up red on my farm plot menu, but I have plenty of rock nuts, so... what's going on? I was just getting ready to plant some of those.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

There's not enough time left in the planting season for them to sprout.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Umiman's said most of it. In answer of 8:

8.) Save Scumming is just backing up saves so that if you do something stupid you can go back to it, or alternatively, Crtl-Alt-Deleting Dwarf Fortress when things go wrong to avoid having to save before quitting.

Let me add to #6 that you have 15 layers down from the lowest initialy-visible point, and 15 layers of totally empty sky above.

Also, welcome to the fourms!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

"Save Scumming" is when you backup the contents of your data\save\region1 folder(or whatever it is you have) and restore it when something goes wrong. Note that this method is usually considered cheating but it has been used to some extent or another by just about everyone.

Edit: well dang PTTG beat me to it, but at least i told you where your saves are.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Vucar Fikodastesh ]

I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

When, huh? Awesome.

Is there really no way to increase the priority of some tasks, though? I've been trying to get the same guy to build this Farmer's workshop forever now, and he never wants to, despite the tasks I dis/allow him.

Grebo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

Check the q menu for the farmer workshop to be sure the job you need is what you think it is.

Turning off everything but that job is about all you can do to hurry it along.

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

"Needs Any Workshop Farming"

No idea what that's supposed to mean, so I put on Field-Farming and Plant Processing.

EDIT: Which didn't work, I mean. So yeah.

[ April 22, 2008: Message edited by: Loki ]

Thasero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

To build a workshop, you usually (but not always) need a dwarf who is set to do the work of the related profession.  To build a farmer's workshop, your dwarf must have Plant Processing enabled.  You can press 'q' and highlight an unbuilt building to see exactly what is needed; some buildings need architecture before anything can be done, for example.

To explain what's going on with the job/manager menu...

1.  The job menu, which appears when you hit 'j', lists everything that your dwarves could conceivably be doing right now, along with a list of which dwarf is actually doing that task if a dwarf is carrying it out.  The tasks are NOT listed in any particular order, and you CANNOT change the priority of these tasks.  It's merely meant to be informative so you can see, at a glance, what work is being done/remains to be done fortress-wide.

2.  The manager menu, which appears when you hit 'm' from either the 'u'nit screen or the 'j'ob screen, is used to queue up mass jobs to be done at workshops for easy management.  Normally you can only add 10 tasks to a workshop.  The manager lets you add up to 30 of any particular job, and you can add multiples (i.e., you can queue 100 of "build a rock table" by adding 3 "build a table x30" jobs and 1 "build a table x10" job).  This allows you to do things like order your mason to make 20 tables, then 20 chairs, then 60 doors, without having to put your cursor over the mason's workshop every time to micromanage the orders.

From the manager menu, you can change the priority of jobs on the manager menu.  However, this only changes the order in which jobs for a particular workshop will be added; whether dwarves work at that workshop, or another workshop, or do hauling, is up to the dwarves.  For example, you can change the priority to make the "construct tables" jobs show up at the mason's workshop before the "construct doors" jobs, but you cannot use the manager screen to force your mason to stop from going fishing instead; you must select the mason and disable whatever labors you don't want him to do.

3.  In general, different jobs have different priorities.  For example, burial is very high priority and dwarves will go pick up and inter the bodies of their dead comrades before doing almost anything else.  On the other hand, conducting a meeting is a very low priority, and you will almost always have to disable all labor on a dwarf in order to convince him to hold a meeting with someone.  For the main part, the best thing to do is just watch your dwarves and see what they are doing; if you want them to do something else, either disable the undesired labor, or eliminate the jobs that they're doing.

So, for your example of "hauling stone instead of doing important stuff", there are 3 things you can do:

1.  Select the dwarves you want to do something else and disable "stone hauling" on their 'l'abor screen.
2.  OR - From the 'o'rders menu, use the option that Dwarves ignore 's'tones and minerals.  Remember to turn it back on when you want them to haul stone again.
3.  OR - Delete the stone stockpile so no more hauling jobs are generated.  This is the recommended solution, since every fortress has more stone than it could possibly ever need and you usually don't get any benefit from moving it around (unless you're moving valuable mineral ores closer to the smelters).

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Alright, new one: I have no idea how to change cave spider silk into silk thread.

EDIT: Do edits bump? If so, that's what I'm editing for.

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Loki ]

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

For this you need a loom, and to activate a spin silk thread into cloth task.  By default the loom will generate gather silk tasks, and spin thread tasks, but it only activates one at a time, so as long as there is ungathered webs with a path available the loom won't generate spin thread tasks by itself.  I usually just put a spin thread task on repeat right after the gather webs task so at least part of the time the gatherer will gather the web, bring it to the loom and spin it almost seemlessly.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Loki:
<STRONG>
EDIT: Do edits bump? If so, that's what I'm editing for.
</STRONG>

There's one I can answer:  No.

As for silk and looms, the loom generates gather webs/spin silk with a staggered selection.  First it gets the webs, then it turns the webs into silk, then it goes back to gathering webs again.  Unless you've got spiderwebs in dangerous places, leaving the loom to do its own thing is perfectly fine.  You might end up with it getting a bit lopsided if a dwarf cancels the "spin thread into silk", which might cause the loom to clear the silk spinning task and order up another web (I don't remember if it actually does this though).

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:19:00 am »

The only problem with letting the loom work by itself, is if you've only just built it when someone is strange mooding for cloth.  I had a child do this recently, though I already had the loom, I spent a frantic bit digging for the chasm/cave I knew was there (since part of it collapsed as soon as the game started).  Found it eventually then realized that I had gathered 3 silk threads but still hadn't woven any cloth, so added that to the queue.  

Long story short she got depressed while carrying the cloth back to the workshop.    :(

[ April 23, 2008: Message edited by: Thassa ]

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

Okay, how about this: There's no spiderwebs in my current fort, but I bought the silk off of the first caravan. I know I have it, but since there's no actual "Spin silk thread" option, I can't tell them to do it. So I have the silk to make the thread, but no one cares.
Pages: [1] 2