Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: You are a Satellite  (Read 16354 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Satellite
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2013, 07:54:48 pm »

Network.Query: Is there any available information about the system we are in currently?

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2013, 07:57:55 pm »

...but if they throw in even a single word that doesn't fit with those bounds, then it'll fail, which means it'd take longer.
They didn't seem genre-savvy enough for that.

Network.Query: State missions and last known locations of the identified scouts.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 08:09:16 pm »

...but if they throw in even a single word that doesn't fit with those bounds, then it'll fail, which means it'd take longer.
They didn't seem genre-savvy enough for that.

True, I mean the idiots didn't even include something to stop someone from bruteforce hacking their MILITARY NETWORK.

Still, no reason for us not to be.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 08:17:07 pm »

(I'd kinda expected you guys to go for the rover sooner, but this direction is interesting too, I'm not complaining. :) )
True, I mean the idiots didn't even include something to stop someone from bruteforce hacking their MILITARY NETWORK.
The military network is not connected to the scouting database in a way you could access off a proper military vessel. This is more or less a datadump for scouts with token protection to prevent corrupted scouts from breaking it. The scouts are well armed because they were damn expensive.

>Update
Downloading...........ok
New craft designation: Atorek-class Armed Scoutcraft. LOCALDOMAIN changed to Atorek_002 accordingly.
Objectives Received, downgrading Reserve Objective's authority.
Objective Received: Life Signs. Objective Completed.
Objective Received: Reboot Successfully. Objective Completed.
Objective Received: Launch Rover to Planet.
Additional Objectives Received but not applicable to current status.
root@Atorek_002>DBQuery.Multiple
Confirmed, input queries.
>NetQuery.Government
>NetQuery.Location.Current
>NetQuery.Events.Referenced_Craft
root@Atorek_002>DBQuery.Multiend
Running Queries.........ok, Outputting in order
Government: We're fine, thank you very much, Scout_002. You would've gotten a priority message if we weren't.
System Alpha-Quasar-Apple: System remains Of Interest. Binary star system, multiple planetary bodies. Scout_002 sent to inquire.
Scout_001: Craft online but unresponsive.
Scout_696: Offline, Structural integrity compromised from Alpha Strike use.
Scout_149: Destroyed by supernova.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:26 pm »

Aaaah, I see. Well, still, that's a LOT of valuable intelligence that could be stolen by a nerd with a cheapo laptop and an internet Net connection.

So. Everything is fine, we just need to get our job done. This we can do.

Query: Can we produce a small probe to send planet-side that would be less likely to be spotted than a full-sized rover?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:22:35 pm by ragnarok97071 »
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:15 pm »

A powerbook, perhaps?

>Scan for a rover landing site and calculate trajectory to minimize detection by any possible planetside observers.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »

>Query.sentenience
>Query.freedom

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

Query: Is possible to produce aerospace drone with stealth technology sufficient to avoid detection by pre-space civilizations, Y/N?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 08:34:37 pm »

Query: Is possible to produce aerospace drone with stealth technology sufficient to avoid detection by pre-space civilizations, Y/N?
How certain are we that they are pre-space?

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 08:38:09 pm »

Well, they haven't noticed the MOON-SIZED SPACE STATION IN ORBIT yet. sooo... reasonably.

Also we noticed no smaller sattelites than the moons themselves, which no doubt WOULD exist if they had reached space.

And we weren't hailed when we entered the system, and...

So yeah. Bunches of things.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »

>Suggestion: Land rover near volcanic activity, scan for elements/molecules to repair drives and continue further development.

>Search[Database]: Scan for repair-station blueprints, examine others for use to current situation. Inquire as to unapplicable objectives.

>Block: End queries: "Sentenience", "Freedom", risk/reward ratio too extreme to justify.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 08:44:19 pm »

How certain are we that they are pre-space?
As ragnarok said, there are no artificial satellites, no indications of large-scale planetary industry, and so forth. Either they're pre-space (and likely pre-industrial or just entering their Industrial Revolution), or they're an ag-colony (unlikely, as they'd still have at least a commsat or two in orbit), or they're sufficiently advanced etc. etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:16 pm »

>Use long range scanners to examine the rest of the system.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:49 pm »

Well, they haven't noticed the MOON-SIZED SPACE STATION IN ORBIT yet.
Then they are probably pre-advanced telescopes, too. Nevermind. We would have no idea if they did know about us.

Begin observation of planet, focusing specifically on wobble, rotation speed, and orbit. After, begin calculation of seasons, day, and year.
Search database for various x-station blueprints: weapons manufacture, mining, and fuel production, primarily.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:33 pm »

>NetQuery.Probe
Disambiguation word. Links:
Rover
Scout
Observer
>Query.sentenience
Unknown subject. Perhaps it was misspelled.
>Query.freedom
Space is massive. So very massive. Being out there with no direction is depressing to this craft, theres no way to decide where to look at next! Explorer vessels do that, yes, but Virixians are rather good at possibly bad decisions without weighing all the options first and pondering them all equally. Working with this system is plenty of space, and it has a pretty binary star to look at.
>NetQuery.Stealth Aerospace Drone
Best match: Observer
root@Atorek_002>DBQuery: Station Blueprints
Numerous found. Narrow your search.
>Weapon station
Authorization required to view off-database military data. Scoutcraft signature has insufficient authorization.
>Mining station
Blueprints downloaded.
>Fuel Station
Blueprints downloaded.
>Activate Long Range Scanners
Active, scanning system.

Scan complete. Results:
One (1) pretty binary star.
Six (6) Planets. Three (3) are gas giants.
Approximately 20000 (Twenty thousand) close asteroids in asteroid belt between neighboring planet and closest gas giant. System-wide number is larger, nearby number is decimated from repairs.
Two (2) comets. One is on a long orbit, one is on a relatively shorter orbit. Neither estimated to collide with a planet within a year.
One (1) self.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:12:03 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12