Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How good is a bone sword?  (Read 1969 times)

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How good is a bone sword?
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:24 am »

I have a sword worth 1 million urists. Though 3 adamantine wafers went into its making, unfortunately the wafers only went into making spites, an image of a large pot and an image of laboring dwarves, leaving the sword itself to be made of... dog bone.

In any case, how effective would this weapon actually be in combat?

EDIT: Ah this reminds me that, earlier on, a fine gentledwarf made a large rat bone battle axe... same question applies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:02:17 am by laxori666 »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: How good is a bone sword?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:08 am »

Not terribly.

You need to pump weapon smithing to get metal weapon and armor artifacts.  Bone, wood, and stone items are usually next to worthless as anything besides training weapons.

Bone is lightweight, and doesn't have a good edge parameter. So, as swords and axes, it falls pretty flat.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:11:49 am »

It will probably work alright against animals, or anything unarmored.  Trouble is, even the crappiest armor an invader is going to show up with is going to ignore the sword if it hits.  Being an artifact just means it has a bonus to hit, it won't penetrate any better than any other bone weapon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:18:33 am »

It will cut flesh, but not bone (so no severs!). It will be effective vs. leather armor, but not against anything else.

You could build it in a weapon trap to improve the value of a room.

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:03 am »

It will cut flesh, but not bone (so no severs!). It will be effective vs. leather armor, but not against anything else.

Would there be a high or a low chance of a dwarf getting whacked by said bone sword? Well, I guess it wouldn't be too fatal even if it did...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:10 am »

Would there be a high or a low chance of a dwarf getting whacked by said bone sword? Well, I guess it wouldn't be too fatal even if it did...

If they trigger the trap, probably a pretty good chance they'll be hit.  But they shouldn't be triggering the trap unless they fall stunned or unconscious atop it.  Don't think "Entrance Corridor trap."  Think "Dining Room decoration," preferably just inside the door so dwarfs can be amazed by the legendary dining room and have a chance to admire the furniture specifically as they pass it.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

KoboldSmasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:06:06 am »

I equipped one of my soldiers with an artifact bone sword, the squad went on to fight a goblin ambush and the guy wielding the bone sword was the only casualty. Obviously due to the cat bone sword.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:24 am »

not much better than a wooden one, definitely worse than copper.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:24:32 am »

Have you ever successfully cut yourself very hard on a bone knife?

I didn't think so.

Yeah, best use for that thing is as decoration. If it weren't for the whole artifacts-are-bugged-as-shit thing, I might suggest going on a rampage with it in adventure mode just for great ironic justice, but, nah. An interior decorator is you!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

thefish1992

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

uh, sorry posted in wrong section. How do you delete posts?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:35:21 pm by thefish1992 »
Dwarven science. A logical solution, to a illogical problem.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:31 pm »

uh, sorry posted in wrong section. How do you delete posts?
You can't. Usually I just edit them to a "wrong section" message.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:54 am »

Not terribly.

You need to pump weapon smithing to get metal weapon and armor artifacts.  Bone, wood, and stone items are usually next to worthless as anything besides training weapons.

Bone is lightweight, and doesn't have a good edge parameter. So, as swords and axes, it falls pretty flat.

I've been pumping weaponsmithing on all my 60ish dwarves until they were Adequate.

Only one of them made a weapon, everybody else typically claims Craftsdwarf's Workshop and Jeweler's shop...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:04 am »

Not terribly.

I've been pumping weaponsmithing on all my 60ish dwarves until they were Adequate.

Only one of them made a weapon, everybody else typically claims Craftsdwarf's Workshop and Jeweler's shop...
What shop they claim is based on their highest moodable skill.  Those dwarves were apparently better craftsdwarves and jewelers than weaponsmiths.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:18 am »

What shop they claim is based on their highest moodable skill.  Those dwarves were apparently better craftsdwarves and jewelers than weaponsmiths.
Or they just didn't have enough weaponsmith skill to mood that and since they were skill-less they went to a craftsdwarf shop.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:27 am »

Or they just didn't have enough weaponsmith skill to mood that and since they were skill-less they went to a craftsdwarf shop.

I'm fairly certain any skill level is sufficient, but I think it's a roll to determine what gets mooded. I think.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: [1] 2