Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: EA Voted Worst Company in America. Again.  (Read 8956 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: EA Voted Worst Company in America. Again.
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:06 pm »

Yes, you're right. EA really didn't have a catastrophe. It's this first world problems thing going on here.
First world problems? I don't know why, but that phrase in itself annoys me. Yes, it's obvious that a gaming corporation is obviously less to worry about than hunger or famine. But we live in a capitalist society, cursing companies whose services we like is quite common. Just because something worse is going on, doesn't make the issue suddenly non-existent. I always feel as if the people who use that phrase, use it in a sort of pretentious self-glorifying way, as if they're saying "Oh, you're caring about THIS. People like me care about much more IMPORTANT issues." I'm not implying that's how you are, it's just a off-topic pet-peeve I have.

And for more recent related EA news, EA starts laying people off, not mentioning the teams affected. This is apparently so they can become more 'efficient'.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:46:54 pm by Bdthemag »
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2013, 04:01:15 pm »

Gosh, EA are utter pricks.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2013, 05:44:08 pm »

Really, much of this argument comes down to the semantics of "worst". Just break it up into categories:

-Most Publicly Damaging Company (BoA or BP or the like)
-Company Most Disdainful to Customers (EA, probably)
-Most Seriously, What The Fuck Guys Company (That guy who says he discovered nuclear fusion and wants to rent out power-generating cargo containers he won't let people open)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

Aso i dont know if it worth mentioning, but i received news today that EA closed his bigguest mobile devlopment studio here in montreal ( Canada Quebec ). Its the town next to mine XD.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:00 pm »

Aso i dont know if it worth mentioning, but i received news today that EA closed his bigguest mobile devlopment studio here in montreal ( Canada Quebec ). Its the town next to mine XD.
Yeah, there were rumors floating around that EA eliminated a large portion of their mobile developers, so that's most likely where they did most of the layoffs.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2013, 06:15:07 pm »

Yeah, there were rumors floating around that EA eliminated a large portion of their mobile developers, so that's most likely where they did most of the layoffs.

I wonder why they'd do that. I thought mobile pay to progress apps were a huge cash cow.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2013, 06:19:08 pm »

Let's hope thats because they are about to fill for bankrupcy.... one might dream eh...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:59 pm »

Let's hope thats because they are about to fill for bankrupcy.... one might dream eh...

According to EA they are still making money... Which is contradictory to other information I heard.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »

Remember that there is a difference between making money and making a profit.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2013, 06:35:03 pm »

Remember that there is a difference between making money and making a profit.

They are still making profit apparently...

I cannot find a article that says they are losing money.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »

There is also a difference between losing money and not making a profit though really thats splitting hairs. They are probably (if they are having money problems) just in a place where they are making enough to keep going but its not enough if any of the big wigs wants a raise for being big wigs.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:02 pm »

First world problems? I don't know why, but that phrase in itself annoys me. Yes, it's obvious that a gaming corporation is obviously less to worry about than hunger or famine. But we live in a capitalist society, cursing companies whose services we like is quite common. Just because something worse is going on, doesn't make the issue suddenly non-existent. I always feel as if the people who use that phrase, use it in a sort of pretentious self-glorifying way, as if they're saying "Oh, you're caring about THIS. People like me care about much more IMPORTANT issues." I'm not implying that's how you are, it's just a off-topic pet-peeve I have.

First World problems are usually invoked to show that a problem has been blown out of proportion (which does not imply that the problem is not a legitimate problem).

They can be used the way you described though, it depends on the scenario (I believe this particular poll result is deserving of the meme though, given the poll was for "the worst" company, as opposed to "a bad" company).

They are still making profit apparently...

Its possible that they are only making very slim profit, very unpredictable ammounts of profit or something similar and have decided that the risk is too high for future investments. I have no idea how much information lets out about their finances though (I would guess very little) so it may be hard to find out exactly why.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2013, 04:46:40 am »

Here's to hoping they go bankrupt... I'd drink to that.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2013, 05:09:39 am »

I have very little idea on how companies are run but do they tend to spend their income based on projected profits for the year? Guaranteed income would allow for a definite bottom line of funds to put towards projects with maybe a little more to cover unexpected events. If the above is the case, I can see a company suddenly going bankrupt because they spent all their income and didn't make enough back to cover it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:35 am »

You have to wonder how they're still afloat until now, what with all the dumb moves they did.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10